Hannah Brown c1825

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannah Brown c1825

I have a problem with Hannah Brown b c1825 Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland.

I cannot find her in the 1841 census - or should I say there are a few possibilities which I can't tie down due to place of birth not shown.

By 1851 she's married to John McKenzie b c1821 Westmoreland - ancestry transcription McKursey and living in Sunderland Co Durham.
    HO107 Piece 2397 Folio 224 Page 18
    Their eldest daughter Margaret McKenzie was born in Nov 1845 in Berwick upon Tweed. The other children Catherine, Hannah, John, Mary, William. Thomas, Matthew and Jane are all born in Sunderland Co Durham.

I can't find the marriage to find out her father's name but looking on the IGI there is a possibility that Anna Stevens Brown chr 6/4/1825 at the RC church in Berwick upon Tweed daughter of William and Margaret Brown nee Newton is my Hannah Brown. I believe Hannah's family were RC as she was married in St Patricks RC Church in Sunderland.

Without a marriage certificate I'm stumped - any other suggestions for proving or disproving my theory?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

There is a Ann Brown and John McKenzie 1843 Q1 Sunderland....BUT....
    they are both Vol 24 but pages 206 and 219.

Trawled through 1843,44,45. *****took me away from ironing****

Comment

Hi

Just to show that if you didn't follow the other children born to William/Guilliam Brown and Margare* Newton here is the REF for them in the 1841 census - sadly it does not find Hannah with them.

HO107; Piece 844 Folio: 34; Page: 14

1851 the above family are now in Durham

REF - HO107; Piece: 2384; Folio: 128; Page: 17

They have a grandson with them also.
      WendyP

Comment

HI

In the 1861 census Margaret brown is widowed and has amongst her own children a grandaughter called Catherine Mackenzie age 12 born Sunderland
        and another as a visitor called Sarah Mackenzie 17 bn Scotland

So I think this is the correct family to connect to.

Here's the REF - RG9; Piece: 3702; Folio: 107; Page: 24
        WendyP

Comment

Thank you sooooo much Libby and Wendy

I was still looking in Berwick for the Brown family?

However I already had Catherine McKenzie in the 1861 census with her parents John and Hannah and siblings in Sunderland.
          RG9 Piece 3778 Folio 33 Page 12

So if she's also down with her grandmother in Stockton does that mean she's on the census twice or just a coincidence? The age and pob are the same!!!

I'm intrigued to see who the Sarah McKenzie belongs - so will look at other census.

Do you think Margaret J Huntrod is down twice - once in her maiden name Brown and in her married name Huntrod too?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
          X