Gosport Garrison Chapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosport Garrison Chapel

Would anyone know if there are any birth/christening records available on the net, for the son of a soldier who was garrisoned at Gosport? The birth was c.1800. I have been told there was a Garrison Chapel at Gosport and was hoping I might find the birth recorded there. Not too sure how to go about searching at this stage.

Once again I can answer "No idea" Sorry.

Just found this by googling Gosport Might be worth a try.

Gosport Discovery Centre Museum on the Mezzanine

Starting to cloud over here, so will turn computer off at the first bit of thunder. Rain would be lovely though. The grass is completely dead from all the frost.

Comment

Hi -

As Harry's Mum suggested, you can found out a lot by Googling. I don't know anything about Gosport, but just spent 10 minutes searching and found the following:

Hopefully one or more of these will have the information you're looking for, or at least provide some worthwhile leads.

HTH -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks Libby and Tim - all those websites were really interesting, unfortunately I couldn't find my elusive ancestor, but at least I can knock a few sources off my list now as there were some good lists of birth/baptism registrations from some of the churches there. Still hunting - cheers Val

Comment

There's someone on the site who goes to the Gosport Record Office quite often and is willing to do look-ups. Really helpful.

You may find the name if you look in the Wiki. Or if you use the thread-search for Gosport.

Christine

PS - I found it: http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...ort-hants.html
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You could try Tony and Linda Knight's site:
            Welcome to Knightroots
            Joy

Comment

I will be in Gosport Town Centre tomorrow so I will ask them about the Garrison Church Records. If you want to give me the details I may even be able to look up the info you want.

Jim
              Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thankyou Grampa Jim, we would be most grateful
                His name was William Semaine/Samain and he was born c1800 according to all the census, so I generally just check the year either side to be safe

Joy, we did look through Tony and Linda's site, unfortunately no luck, but haven't they put a lot of work into transcribing it all!

Comment

I usually find it pays to check AT LEAST 5 years either side of the calculated year. Some of mine have been even further adrift than that. I will have a look for your missing William Semaine tomorrow and report back on this thread later.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Thanks Grampa Jim, I'm glad you told me about the 5 year leeway before I ordered any films!
                    I will be keeping my fingers crossed you come across William Semaine/Samain - he really is a conundrum.

Christine I will try your website suggestion once I hear back from GJ - should I still need it - (she said optimistically)- many thanks

Comment

I have checked some of the Parish Registers and this is what I have found.

St John's is nearest to the Garrison but wasn't built until about 1830.
                      St Thomas' at Elson wasn't built until 1845.

So we can cross them off the list.
                      I have checked
                      Holy Trinity 1795 - 1806 without success.
                      St Mary's Alverstoke 1794 - 1804 without success.
                      St Mary the Virgin, Rowner 1795 - 809 without success.

In the records for the Independent Chapel, Gosport High Street I found this:

William, son of John Eman and Anne his wife of the Parish of Alverstoke in the County of Hants (Born on the 19th November 1800) was Baptized on the 28th day of December 1800.

There are still some further Parishes to scan. I will do them next time I am in town.

Comment

Thankyou so much for this. Eman could well be yet another variation of the name Samain/Semaine, and certainly the first son of William and his wife Catherine was named John. How often are children named after their grandparents?

I am going to look for a marriage today for these two.

I have also been chosen for WDWTYA for this week so am going to fill in more details about William in that.
                        Once again, many thanks for your help, I can't believe this website, everyone is so helpful and just gets on with the research, assisting everyone. I hope I can do my bit in return, even from this far away in Oz. Best wishes - Val

Comment

Hello - I've found their marriage on the IGI, at St Thomas in Portsmouth
                          John Eman and Ann Hillier 24/2/2800

and they had another son, John Eman christened at the Independent chapel in 1804

I was hoping to find an annomaly with the spelling, but all three records came up the same.

Comment

Glad to be of help. Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Working...
                            X