X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill Lane Deptford London

Hello everyone
    Happy to be a new member of this forum
    I believe that member 'colaluca' may have information about Mill Lane that would be of interest to both of us.
    My grandparents came to London from Sant'Elia Fiumerapido Prov Frosinone Italy around 1883/1887 but I doubt if I'll ever get to know the exact date because it seems there were no ship's records kept at that time. My grandfather's brother and his family lived with them (I'm almost certain they travelled together). My father was born at 32 Mill Lane in 1887 later they moved to Nelson Street, then to Rye Dwellings in Camberwell. My grandfather's brother then lived in Friendly Street. I believe colaluca's ancestors lived at 33 Mill Lane in 1889 so they may have been neighbours. It would be great if colaluca read this post and we could exchange information but I would be very grateful for information from anyone else too.
    I did find Mill Lane on an old map but it showed Mill Lane as a street off Tooley Street but on another map I notice it was said that Mill Lane was renamed but there is no sign of Tooley Street on that map, could it have been renamed too? Or could there have been 2 streets with the name Mill Lane? Looking at the maps the first Mill Lane I found doesnt seem to be in the same area as the Mill Lane that was renamed.

Welcome to the site Emmy. Why don't you send Colalusa a private message and repeat to her what you have just said or direct her to your thread on here.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Hi Emmy, nice to have you onboard

I can only repeat what Stella said. Hope you get some answers and good luck..

]

Comment

Originally posted by Emmy View Post
        Or could there have been 2 streets with the name Mill Lane? Looking at the maps the first Mill Lane I found doesnt seem to be in the same area as the Mill Lane that was renamed.
        Hi Emmy,
        It could well be that there were two streets with the same name and that is why one of them was renamed.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Emmy, nice to see you over here...

Tooley street is still one of the main thoroughfares in that area south of the Thames. It is what was between that road and the river that was demolished and THAT is where Mill Lane was...
          Last edited by elba; 26-08-08, 07:02.

Comment

Hello Emmy, welcome,

Deptford is about 3 or 4 miles East from Tooley Street. I've looked at a large scale 1993 Greater London street atlas, and there are a lot of Mill Lanes in the index, but none of them seem to be on the same page as Deptford. Maybe your Mill Lane has been renamed too?

Roger

Comment

Have the family moved between the birth in 1887 and the 1891 census?

I would look at the description of the enumeration district that you can find on Ancestry to work out where the road was. Look to see if there are any old maps on the internet to be sure of its location and then compare with a modern map. There would have been scores of mills in the past and lots of Mill Lanes all over the place. This would have caused the postman grief, so plenty of them would be renamed.

I did a town walk with a friend on Saturday. We knew the old name of the road, but could not remember its modern name. When we got there, not only had most of the houses been knocked down and replaced, but modern developments had completely destroyed the street patterns, so it was impossible to locate the actual spot, all we could say was we had seen the area.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.
                Elba it was in that area that I believed was where my father was born, but the 'new' Mill Lane', renamed Brookmill Road, is very near to Friendly Street and Nelson Street (they moved to Nelson Street and I have a document which shows my grandfather's brother moved to Friendly Street) which is making me now think it may have been THAT Mill Lane (ie Brookmill Road) where they lived.
                Anyone know the date when that area between Tooley Street and the Thames was demolished? and if Mill Lane now Brookmill Road was there in 1887?
                Emmy
                ps I have sent a pm to colaluca

Comment

I had a bookkeeping job in the 1970s and early 1980s in a ruinous old warehouse in Tooley Street. The windows didn't look as if they'd been washed in fifty years and it was over-run with mice. Most of the other buildings in the street were similarly tumble-down. I would think the area had its facelift in the late 1980s, early 1990s. Southwark Local Studies Library is currently closed, I think, but it might be worth emailing them and/or Peckham library to see if they can tell you anything about the area.
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB What does the birth certificate say? If that gives Deptford as place of birth, then as Roger says, this will not be in the Tooley Street area.

Comment

Emmy, have a look at this site:

Charles Booth Online Archive

The maps Charles Booth used were 1898/9, and if you click on "Browse" and then the map you can enlarge the old map by clicking an area of it and then just scroll up and down to compare the old map with modern one.

If you do it with the area near London Bridge, you can get up the Mill Lane which is off Tooley Street, so it was presumably there in 1884, as you asked.

However, if instead you click on the area where Brookmill Road is you will find that was indeed called Mill Lane in Booth's time. Furthermore, Friendly Street runs into it, and is itself joined by a road now called Vanguard Street, which seems to be a new name for Nelson Street.

So I would guess from your posts that the Tooley Street Mill Lane is a red herring, and that Brickmill Road is the one you are looking for.

Roger

Comment

Thanks Roger
                        I'm almost certain now that Mill Lane off Tooley Road is the wrong site.
                        I just been given some information from 'Local History Library -Ideal Homes'
                        London which tells me that Mill Lane of St Pauls Deptford was renamed Brookmill Road in 1904 and its not near Tooley Street. They also said that St Paul's Deptford is in the London Borough of Lewisham and the library there may have more information about that area.
                        Many many thanks to everyone for your information, suggestions and taking the time to answer my questions, its very much appreciated.
                        Emmy

;)bet my ancestors are glad now that I've finally got them back in their correct home

Comment

Hi again
                          I just wondered if there is any other way I could get in contact with member 'colaluca' I have sent her a pm but havent had a reply. I dont think she has posted on any of forums either.

Emmy

Comment

Sorry Phoenix
                            I seem to have missed your posts:o
                            My grandparents moved from 32 Mill Lane to 5 Nelson Street in 1889 then to
                            5 Rye Dwellings Camberwell in 1890.
                            (It seems that as they moved the spelling of their surname changed a few times too)

Have the family moved between the birth in 1887 and the 1891 census?
                            I did a town walk with a friend on Saturday. We knew the old name of the road, but could not remember its modern name. When we got there, not only had most of the houses been knocked down and replaced, but modern developments had completely destroyed the street patterns, so it was impossible to locate the actual spot, all we could say was we had seen the area.
                            Thank you so much for that just wish I was able to do the same.

What does the birth certificate say? If that gives Deptford as place of birth, then as Roger says, this will not be in the Tooley Street area.
                            On my father's birth certificate it has at the top
                            Registration district- Greenwich
                            Sub-District - St Paul Deptford
                            In the counties of Kent and Surrey
                            The house was 32 Mill lane this was January 1887
                            Once more my apologies for missing your post
                            Emmy

Comment

Originally posted by Emmy View Post
                              Hi again
                              I just wondered if there is any other way I could get in contact with member 'colaluca' I have sent her a pm but havent had a reply. I dont think she has posted on any of forums either.

Emmy
                              Emmy, there is no contact info listed for Colaluca on his or her profile, as you have probably seen, so the only other way you could contact him or her via this site would be to leave a "visitor message" on their profile. But if he/she hasn't set the options to get email notifications of PM's or visitor messages then he/she won't see any messages unless he/she logs into the site again.

Do you have any particular reason for thinking that Colaluca can help you, or is it just because there were people with that surname in the area you are researching? If so, then there is no particular reason to think that our member Colaluca is related to the ones who lived there, though, is there?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Do you have any particular reason for thinking that Colaluca can help you, or is it just because there were people with that surname in the area you are researching? If so, then there is no particular reason to think that our member Colaluca is related to the ones who lived there, though, is there?
                                Colaluca actually contacted me via PM saying "My grandfather Antonio and his family lived at 33 Mill Lane in Deptford South in Greenwich." as I had asked about Mill Lane Deptfod on the board. She also kindly gave two links about the area.

My interest in this was purely that I knew Emmy and knew she was trying to find where that road was. I did get a number of replies and then - out of the blue - this very welcome private message.

I responded to 'her' (by PM) on 25 August. I did mark my reply as 'a bit urgent' passing on my e-mail address and (as requested) Emmy's e-mail too. But to date neither of us have heard anything. I'm sure it could be as you suggested 'Kiterunner' - that she is unaware of the PM's waiting for her. But then again oerhaps she's on holiday!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Elba. It all seemed very mysterious until you cleared it up!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Elba for explaining and 'sorry KiteRunner for not explaining fully why I want to contact Colaluca.
                                    My main reason for wanting to contact Colaluca was her grandparents lived at 33 Mill Lane and my grandparents lived at 32 Mill Lane about the same time (late 1800's)and the village her grandparents came from in Italy was Atina and my grandparents came from Sant'Elia which is quite near Atina. Just a hope that maybe there was information to be shared.
                                    Emmy

Comment

Working...
                                    X