Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's this in my gg grandparents' grave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's this in my gg grandparents' grave?

A man who runs a website with photos of Lincolnshire graves has my gg grandparents grave at Epworth, and will send me a picture . In addition to George Sissons d1888 and Mary Sissons d1896 on the transcript of the gravestone is Mary Chesswell d 1894.

There's no-one of this name in the GRO death register for 1894 or the first quarter of 1895, can't find anyone on the census in Lincolnshire in the 1891 census either. (Have also looked under Cresswell)

Any suggestions?

I am guessing that she must be related to be included on the gravestone. Have just found reference to Epworth sub-registration district being in Thorne reg district, which was mainly Yorkshire. Any likely deaths/census info in that area?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Another possibility is that she is just being recorded/remembered on the gravestone and was buried elsewhere? Possibly a married connection of your gt grandparents?

Comment

Looked on Freebmd for all Mary deaths registered Thorne reg district Dec 1893-Mar 1895. Closest one I could find was a Mary Fretwell age 75 registered Dec 1893.

Comment

There are several Mary Fretwells in Epworth on the IGI, FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Comment

There's a 73-year old in 1891, Mary Fretwell, living in Crowle, Lincs. No idea how near/far that is from Epworth and of course this might not be her.

Comment

Hi Nell, had to give the laptop back to my son for a while. Thanks for your ideas - Crowle is very close to Epworth, so I'm going to look into your Fretwell reference, (but will resist spending any money until i see the photo of the grave in case of mistranscription).

Comment

I had a similar thing, it turned out that the sister of my great uncles wife was buried in the same grave as him and his wife.
                Daphne
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I'm guessing she may have been a sister of one of them, though this is still a work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    A man who runs a website with photos of Lincolnshire graves has my gg grandparents grave at Epworth, and will send me a picture . In addition to George Sissons d1888 and Mary Sissons d1896 on the transcript of the gravestone is Mary Chesswell d 1894.

There's no-one of this name in the GRO death register for 1894 or the first quarter of 1895, can't find anyone on the census in Lincolnshire in the 1891 census either. (Have also looked under Cresswell)

Any suggestions?
                    That is such an enigma, if you look at the dates Mary Cresswell died two years before Mary Sissons but a good few years after George Sissons died. It tells me that this woman Mary Cresswell was clearly very important to Mary Sissons, to bury her in a grave with her husband. That doesn't mean to say she isn't related to George but what it does tell you is that Mary Cresswell is a very important person to Mary Sissons.

Sorry doesn't help much...

xx

Maggie
                    Last edited by Guest; 27-12-07, 00:04.

Comment

Maggie

Not saying you are wrong, but in my family, they used up grave spaces in order of death.

If there were four spaces, perhaps they had already discussed who was to go where, or perhaps sheer practicality kicked in - why buy another grave plot for a family member, when there was a space already paid for?

I agree though - a family member, or at least a very good friend!

OC

Comment

This is of no help, sorry, but I wonder if anyone has a thought about this .....

A few years ago I found the grave of my gt grandparents.

It's unmarked and they share it with my Dad's younger brother who died aged abt 2 years .... a wonderful surprise for me as all I knew was his name and that he died in infancy. I believe he may have had Diphtheria.

I'd been in contact with the Cemeteries Officer ... who remarked that the plot next to theirs showed up on the records as being empty. He didn't know why.

If anybody has an idea, I'd love to know ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

could she be the sister of mary,as she was burried before her?brenda xxx

Comment

Mystery solved, Charles Sale of the excellent gravestonesphotos.com (free, but donations welcomed so I donated) has got back to me already with the photo which states that Mary Cresswell was their grand-daughter and died Aug 7th 1894, interred at Flushing, New York.

This site also asks if you want to be put in contact with anyone else who asks for the photo. I ticked the box and he has also sent contact details for another gg granddaughter who orderd the same. So now I have a new rellie (if she replies)

Comment

That's fantastic news Jill and wasn't the man from the website quick

Comment

I've just had an email from my newest relation so we will be sharing info, but she doesn't know anything about Mary Cresswell either.

Comment

Jill, that's great news, solve a mystery and gain a new rellie. Well done.
                                  Daphne
                                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

It#s always good to hear that a mystery's been cleared up. So often I remember threads and wonder "Did they ever find out what happened to Ethel/why they married so far away/had their child baptised in a different parish? etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                      Mystery solved, Charles Sale of the excellent gravestonesphotos.com (free, but donations welcomed so I donated) has got back to me already with the photo which states that Mary Cresswell was their grand-daughter and died Aug 7th 1894, interred at Flushing, New York.

This site also asks if you want to be put in contact with anyone else who asks for the photo. I ticked the box and he has also sent contact details for another gg granddaughter who orderd the same. So now I have a new rellie (if she replies)
                                      Oh good - so she was defnitely important to both of them as it turns out - sad that its a child.

Its nice when you get to the bottom of the mystery.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Working...
                                      X