Brett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then she died before 1984 perhaps.

Where did she die and what sort of age was she?

Comment

Originally posted by frostbarter View Post
      Could Minnie be short for Mildred, I have found a Mildred D Allcock mother's maiden name Allcock, born 1920 Jan/Feb/March, Walsingham Norfolk, vol 4b pg 578. It is Allcock not Alcock.

Barbara
      Even in C20th people have varied their surname spellings. The addition or loss of a doubled letter wouldn't be particularly unusual. As spelling for records became more critical (card-indexes, computers), names became more fixed... but people have still decided they preferred a different version of a name for one reason or another.

If everything else is a plausible fit, then you shouldn't rule something out just for the sake of a double/single letter discrepancy.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

One family member can remember a lady coming to tell Miriam that her mother had died and she went home and that was about 1985. She was living at Aldborough in Norfolk then.

Comment

Originally posted by angela32nd View Post
          Do you think it could have been transcribed as Mildred instead of Miriam? If so how do I view the original? or do I just order a copy of the certificate and cross fingers??? Maybe the birth was registered slightly late as it was over Christmas?
          Hi Angela,

Another possibility is that she was given the name Mildred at birth and decided she preferred Miriam instead when she got older. In which case I think your only hope of knowing whether you have the right birth would be if the mother's name matches what you expect (i.e., Frances Catherine).

Good luck -

Tim
          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

We have had a reply from GRO saying they cannot find a Miriam Al(l)cock in Norfolk for the period we want. Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

Might be worth trying local registrars in Norfolk, if they can't find a match they shouldn't charge. As long as you try and narrow the search to a year (possibly two) and explain the problem they should be able to look for you, it's certainly worth a try.

Norfolk register office details are in the wiki;

Norfolk - Family Tree Forum
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

my husbands birth cert

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                Is her name Miriam Doreen formerly Alcock on your husbands birth cert?
                Yes, it is

Comment

Working...
                X