Need your opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinion please

I am trying to work out if my brick wall Tomlinsons are connected to a tree on Genes. I have,

John Tomlinson born Belper Derbyshire c1842, from census as birth not found

John Tomlinson aged 21 married to Mary Spencer 1863 father of John is George Tomlinson on the cert

I have not been able to go back before the 1861 census.

My contact says John Tomlinson born Derbyshire 1844, is on the 1851 census with his parents John born 1811 and Elizabeth born 1826 and grandmother Hannah. This is the third marriage for this John b. 1811, so there are siblings and step siblings.

Myself i cannot see John born Belper 1842 and John born Derbyshire 1844 as the same man, but my contact has Mary Spencer as the wife and most of thier children with the right birthdates and places.

Has my contact got her Johns mixed up, she says her grandfather was my John`s brother and i haven`t found any siblings as yet.

Do i open my tree in case or not.

Any suggestions would be welcome please

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

I would not open my tree!

They don't sound like the same man to me, and I would want to see more documented proof first.
    It does sound to me that there could have been a cross over somewhere.

What is George's occupation listed as on John's marriage cert?

Comment

Thank you Lyn, he is a blacksmith, though i have never been able to find him.
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

I will have a look & see if I can sight him....be warned, my geography of the UK is not very good, though!

Comment

Derbyshire is in the middle of England Lyn
          Sylvia

Comment

I can't see George Tomlinson, blacksmith, either. Only one I can find is an Ag Lab.
            How far is Norton from Belper?

Comment

Sorry can't find any others....fingers crossed that someone else can.

Comment

Think its about 26 miles according to google
                Sylvia

Comment

Thank you for trying Lyn.
                  Sylvia

Comment

I'd ask your contact if she has birth details for her John to confirm 1844 as birthyear, and if she has John with father George in 1851.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you found your John from 1861 onwards on censuses and is he consistent about age and birthplace?

Comment

Thank you for your opinion Nell, will ask her about the birth details, but she says 1851 has father John, mother Elizabeth and grandmother Hannah
                        Sylvia

Comment

I have John on every census from 1861 until his death in 1895 (i have cert) evey one say Belper, but unless you look at the actual images the dates vary.

That is the images give his right age for being born 1842, but the transriptions don`t, which say 1842, 1844 or 1850.
                          Sylvia

Comment

1851 census has a John Tomlinson, ag lab, wife Elizabeth, and John, son aged 6 (birthyear abt 1845) born in Matlock.

Matlock in 1845 came under Bakewell registration district and this would appear to be the corresponding birth for 1851 census:
                            John Tomlinson 1844 Apr-May-Jun Bakewell
                            Volume: 19 Page: 401

Comment

1861 census has John Tomlinson b 1842 Belper, servant in Norbury, and John Tomlinson b 1841 Norton with father George in Norton. Neither of these look like John from 1851, but I can't find one that fits him.

Comment

1871 has John b 1844 Belper with wife Mary. So he has YOUR birthplace and your CONTACT's birthyear. Hence the confusion! I see this couple have a son called George which may or may not be significant!

Can't see them 1881, but John and Mary in 1891 still give birthplace and year as Belper 1844.

Are you getting your John's birthyear 1842 from his marriage cert?
                                Last edited by Little Nell; 23-12-07, 09:26.

Comment

!861 has my John working as a groom for the rector of Norbury and as everything i have on him (census and police career records) say he was born in Belper, i don`t think that one is mine.
                                  Sylvia

Comment

That 1871 census is mine Nell
                                    Sylvia

Comment

Well he does say born 1844, doesn't he? Perhaps he lied when he got married as he would have been underage? Though that doesn't explain the confusion over John/George and Bakewell/Belper!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post

Are you getting your John's birthyear 1842 from his marriage cert?
                                        No Nell from the actual census images which show his right age.
                                        Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 23-12-07, 09:49.
                                        Sylvia

Comment

Working...
                                        X