The Robinsons are missing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Robinsons are missing!

Hi, forum-world! Am hoping that you may look kindly on a relative (yes, rubbish pun!) newbie, who's hit her first genealogical brick wall?

My clan appear at Manchester Buildings, Bethnal Green in the 1841 census, occupying adjacent dwellings. By 1851, they'd spread out to take over no.s 5, 6 and 7. By 1871, they'd dispersed, as people do, but some of them are still at no. 7. The kicker is I can find nothing for 1861 - logic dictates that some were still there! Have tried various websites, various search parameters - even searches as vague as just "Robinson" in "Bethnal Green". Has anyone got any ideas to help me find them?

Many thanks!

There are missing bits of the 1861 census, but i don't know bethnal green is part of it.

Comment

Have you looked through the pages and made sure that they are not there with a completely wrong surname. I can see that there is a Clara as a lodger and that is the only Robinson.

Is there a possibility that they were not at home for that night? unusual but could be possible, what is the occupation? Are they in an institution? were they local to the area?

this is the 1861 details for the building:
      House name Manchester Buildings
      Street East Street
      Parish St Mary Newington
      City or borough Lambeth
      County London, Surrey
      Country England
      Municipal ward St Peter
      Parliamentary borough Lambeth
      Hamlet Walworth
      Ecclesiastical district St Peter
      Registration district Newington
      Enumeration district 48
      Archive reference RG09
      Piece number 343
      Folio 78
      Page 14
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you checked for deaths??

Use the free site Freebmd, or the GRO Index .............

You have to register with GRO, but it is free and secure.

Follow the instructions for ordering certificates, then to search the indexes.

GRO is also the place to order certificates when you get around to buying them.

I suggest the 2 sites, even though Freebmd is transcribing the GRO Index, because you can search Freebmd with a wide parameter of years (eg January 1851 to December 1861) whereas GRO is searched by selecting a year +/- 2 years.

The advantage of GRO is that it gives the age of the dead person ...... so get an idea of how many deaths in Bethnal Green for person A, then search GRO to discover how old each person was to narrow it down to ones close to your person ........... hopefully that will only be one person.

The caveat with GRO is that the Index does not state years, months, etc, and they have not yet been able to distinguish between days, weeks, months or years for persons dying with an age of 1 - 12. That can mean a bit of guesswork.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you for that info - that would be just my luck!

Comment

Hi - thank you for your reply! I have tried freebmd and freecen. I know that some of my kin will have shuffled off this mortal coil or married etc between 1851 and 71, but I am struggling with the 1861 omission - I guess it might be that some pages are missing, as kylejustin mentioned. There were 13 of the blighters there in '51, and 5 at the same house no. in '71, so logic dictates that at least some should show up in '61. I hate not knowing!!

Comment

It looked quite complete, but wonder if they were missing/ avoided enumerator. You have gone through the pages?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Wow! Thank you for the info - what a helpful lot you are! I shall check out your info when I get a min tonight. My folks were spinners and weavers of silk and chenille, and had been in Bethnal Green since at least 1841 (Have found them all on that census!). There were 13 of them on the '51 census, and there were still 5 on the '71 census in the same house. Births, deaths and marriages would obviously have affected the roll call, but the fact that the Robinsons are there from '41 to '71 makes me doubt they would be elsewhere in '61 (and I can't find them elsewhere either). If I were Sherlock Holmes (and smoked), this would be at least a two-pipe problem!!

Comment

*shuffles feet* I am really pretty new to the gen world. I will have a go tonight to look up the pages via the info you so kindly provided ( I normally just scroll through the search results the various sites provide). Am a bit of a gen tech numpty!!

Comment

Where do you look at the census?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Have tried Ancestry, freecen and Family Search...

Comment

Am sitting in car doing nowt at the moment, I will check FMP for you.

Comment

Nope. Can’t find any of them and worryingly when I did an address search in 1861, there were no results for Manchester Buildings.

Comment

There must be a book missing as have tried either side of Manchester buildings in 1851 and 1871 and the previous address is Manchester Street and the next one after is Dale Street. None of these come up in an address search in 1861.

Comment

We've got lists/references to known missing parts of the censuses in the Reference Library - just scroll down. We have a link to FMP's complete list there.

Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have the wrong manchester buildings sorry :(

I can see that Sale Street is a nearby street on 1851, and on 1861 it is here:

if you look at the filters at the top of the page
                                Middlesex--> Bethnal Green--> Town--> District 06

and there is no Manchester street or Manchester buildings - so is looking like a missed one.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you so much for giving up your time to help me - it is so kind of you, and I truly appreciate it. At least I can console myself with the fact that I haven't just missed something blindingly obvious!

Comment

As it’s not a known missing volume according to the FMP list, I wonder if when the volume was first scanned, they lost the place and missed a few pages. It’s not unknown for this to happen. It’s happened with 1851 for me in Register House Edinburgh as has my uncle’s 1919 birth certificate not having been scanned when all the rest of the volume was. As I knew his exact date and place of birth from my Mum, they went to the index pages at the back of the original volume and found the reference number. The page was still intact so his cert and the two others on the page now technically exist.
                                    Might be worth contacting TNA (The National Archives) in London and asking them to check the original volume that it ought to be in.
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-02-20, 17:46.

Comment

Hi - thank you for your suggestion - will give it a try - it would be wonderful if they "found" the page. Your help is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                      X