MyHeritage in Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyHeritage in Color

I've just got round to testing out this new feature.

https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/02/...tage-in-color/ - instructions.

5 days ago we released an amazing feature, MyHeritage In Color™, which automatically colorizes black and white photos with breathtaking results. We are

MyHeritage In Color™ uses the world's best deep learning technology to colorize black and white photos, and to restore the colors in faded photos originally taken in color. The results are exceptional and bring new life to cherished family photos

Caroline O'Neill’s heritage in color! - an often scanned copy of a very faded sepia picture (from 1890).

You need to be logged in to see your own but just registering might work.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Did you miss my post on this 11th February? :D

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
      Did you miss my post on this 11th February? :D
      Very possibly. I've been very busy doing other stuff on the site, hence only just having time to test it out, and cannot hope to remember every post /thread posted.

But then I've been reading about it all over the internet and receiving emails from MyHeritage here and privately too so who knows.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Busy bee! I’ll let you off then :D

Comment

As a point of interest I have just read this on another forum I am with:

MyHeritage will OWN YOUR PHOTOS!!!!

"...by posting content on the Website, you grant us a royalty-free, worldwide,
          perpetual and non-exclusive license to host, copy, post and distribute such
          content."
          DGJay

Comment

Originally posted by DgJay View Post

content."
            Now that is not good. A game changer for many I think.

Comment

content."
              That applies for all the site - this is the full sentence from the Terms:

Except with respect to the DNA Services, as detailed above, by posting content on the Website, you grant us a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual and non-exclusive license to host, copy, post and distribute such content.

To interpret it in context you'd need to read all the Ts and Cs.

MyHeritage Terms and Conditions. MyHeritage is an online service that allows members to create profiles and community sites online in order to communicate with family and friends, and to research their heritage with advanced face recognition and search tools.
              Caroline

Comment

I know ancestry reserve the right to any tree uploaded but do they do the same for photos, uploaded docs etc? I don’t have anything there at all except trees so I have never read the relevant T&Cs.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-02-20, 13:17.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  I know ancestry reserve the right to any tree uploaded but do they do the same for photos, uploaded docs etc? I don’t have anything there at all except trees so I have never read the relevant T&Cs.
                  Much the same:

Ownership of Personal Information, Additional User Information and User Provided Content: You own your Personal Information, Additional User Information, and User Provided Content, but we need certain rights from you to use that information and content. By using the Services, you grant us the right to collect, host, transfer, process, analyze, communicate and store your Personal Information (including your Genetic Information) and Additional User Information in order to (a) provide the Services to you and other users, (b) for the purposes described in these Terms and our Privacy Statement, (c) to help our Users discover more about their family histories, and (d) for any other purpose to which you expressly agree, such as sharing with others. Also, by submitting User Provided Content through any of the Services, you grant Ancestry a sublicensable, worldwide, royalty-free license to host, store, copy, publish, distribute, provide access to, create derivative works of, and otherwise use such User Provided Content to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered. This includes the right for Ancestry to copy, display, and index your User Provided Content. Ancestry will own the indexes it creates. We will also have the right to continue to use your User Provided Content, even if you stop using the Services, but only as necessary for us to provide and improve the Services.

But again it needs reading in context:

Caroline

Comment

Apologies to all, I did not intend for my reply to become contentious, just helpful.

I have not tried the Myheritage option, just had a look to see what is involved.

Trying to help again, if anybody wants to achieve the same result, using the same software program but from the original producers of the program Deoldify, this link will take you there. There does not seem to be any T&Cs or any restrictions on the amount of conversions mentioned (but please check these observations).

Colorize black and white images or videos using the image colorizer. Add color to old family photos and historic images, or bring an old film back to life with colorization. This image colorization API is a deep learning model that has been trained on pairs of color images with their grayscale counterpart. After hours of training, the models learns how to add color back to black and white images.

Just a thought .....

PS I haven't looked into it at all, but I am also seeing mentions of another program that does the 'opposite' and transforms 'young face' photos into 'old face' photos called Oldify.
                    DGJay

Comment

I feel that most of the sites now are more interested in harvesting information they can gather to sell/share elsewhere than ever before. I've pulled most of my tree information off the big sites but I've lost control of everything I put online previously, some of my early tree stuff is accurate but light on detail, it's all appeared in wikitree and been severely mangled in the process. Flickriver is still throwing up some of my flickr photostream of me as a baby or old work pictures when searching a surname from my tree. The pictures do not have names attached to them or common tags yet they come up in results and have started to appear in forums and even facebook groups.

The irony is I have my TP set to allow google to search but it never comes up in results when looking for names or images. I'm almost at the point where any site that asks for a registration is an automatic no go area now as the content I add seems to appear everywhere else but never creates any contacts.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Apologies to all, I did not intend for my reply to become contentious, just helpful.

I have not tried the Myheritage option, just had a look to see what is involved.

Trying to help again, if anybody wants to achieve the same result, using the same software program but from the original producers of the program Deoldify, this link will take you there. There does not seem to be any T&Cs or any restrictions on the amount of conversions mentioned (but please check these observations).

Colorize black and white images or videos using the image colorizer. Add color to old family photos and historic images, or bring an old film back to life with colorization. This image colorization API is a deep learning model that has been trained on pairs of color images with their grayscale counterpart. After hours of training, the models learns how to add color back to black and white images.

Just a thought .....

PS I haven't looked into it at all, but I am also seeing mentions of another program that does the 'opposite' and transforms 'young face' photos into 'old face' photos called Oldify.

It does no harm to remind us all of what we have signed/agreed to and to check up in case the goalposts have been moved.

What I really want know is, is there a version for Youngify? Will it make me young again?
                        Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          It does no harm to remind us all of what we have signed/agreed to and to check up in case the goalposts have been moved.

What I really want know is, is there a version for Youngify? Will it make me young again?

I only want it if it works on the inside too

*cough, wheeze, clutches chest, wonders if paramedics still have spare house key?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                            I'm almost at the point where any site that asks for a registration is an automatic no go area now as the content I add seems to appear everywhere else but never creates any contacts.
                            This is exactly why I don't use the likes of FMP or Ancestry to host my tree. They're great for research, but all findings are offline on my PC. I use Family Historian to hold the data and generate my own website, from which I get a new contact every month or so. I update it about once a year. Folk can steal the info if they wish but they have to re-type it all, and my sources aren't online...I only give those to people who get in touch. If you're willing to learn how to build your own site then it's the way to go!
                            Kind regards,
                            William
                            Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

All that I have on line I am not so bothered about ownership. But what I am finding increasingly annoying that so many things you now have to add on line and they host it. I have a PC and am more than happy to download and pay for software and run locally. But there is less and less opportunity for this, even family tree software wants you to put on the cloud.

Photo colouring looks like it is good fun
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Edging off the topic a bit but that's interesting. I've done quite a bit on my half siblings tree recently and a lot of the work centres around their grandmother who died a couple of years before the oldest was born. There is a great collection of images but split across the family. I have some on Tribal Pages and they have invites as some of the data I have kept private. Whilst TP allows me to show facts and events quite well it's not so good on the image handling, it's a bit messy and clunky. I've wondered about alternatives that they can view that are less "boxes with names" type format as almost everyone beyond their mother is a name they have never heard of (5 generations worth).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Maybe something like Memory Web mentioned on this thread? Not cheap but an interesting idea. That could be linked to TP. Can you add hyperlinks from people to another picture hosting site? I've not used TP for ages.

https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...odcasts-anyone (the link would be useful :o)

https://www.memoryweb.me/for-genealogy/organizing

Or a free blog/wordpress site to host the picture and link back to the TP tree.

Host your own tree using The Next Generation of Genealogy? - that can be collaborative and private.
                                  Last edited by Caroline; 19-02-20, 09:05. Reason: Added link to thread
                                  Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                  X