Scotlands People query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotlands People query

I'm helping someone with her tree and have advised her to get her parents' marriage cert. They married in Scotland in June 1945. If she orders it now she will be charged £12. However, if she waits until June/July, when the 75 year rule will no longer apply, will she be able to get it more cheaply for just a few credits?
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Iirc, Scotland's People only updates once a year, January usually, so the 75 year rule won't apply till Jan 2021. I think I am right!

OC

Comment

Be aware that their records are indexed on a yearly basis rather than exact dates and images of statutory records are added in January of the following year.
      So you would be unable to view the marriage record online until January 2021.
      Rgds Matt
      My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Thanks OC and Matt. I'll let her know. I was hoping Scotlands People might update on a rolling basis, similar to how the Geni website in Northern Ireland does...

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

The only other money saving option would be for someone who is visiting the Scotlands People Centre to take a transcript of the certificate for you.
          A day of searching costs£15 (unless it has changed since my last visit) and for that you can view all their records - but only print off the same ones as on the website.
          Perhaps someone is due to visit and can help so you can get the info now and then get the cert next year.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
            The only other money saving option would be for someone who is visiting the Scotlands People Centre to take a transcript of the certificate for you.
            A day of searching costs£15 (unless it has changed since my last visit) and for that you can view all their records - but only print off the same ones as on the website.
            Perhaps someone is due to visit and can help so you can get the info now and then get the cert next year.
            Thanks Herky. She wants a copy as it's her parents, so a transcription wouldn't have the same personal value to her. She thinks she is aware of all the info it will contain, but I've told her that Scottish records contain much more info than the equivalent English or Irish versions. Anyway, it's her decision now. I was just looking to find out whether she could save a bit of cash if she waited till June!

Christine
            Researching:

Comment

There is a difference between a certificate at a cost of £12 and an online image for a few credits. The certificate would be a typed transcription of the original record,similar to a UK one. The online one is a digital copy of the original hand written record complete with any errors,ink blots etc. If she already has the info
              I personaly would wait till next January to see the hand written record.

Matt
              My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Working...
              X