How old is this young man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the_colour_silver_82 View Post
    can you find who else wore the same uniform around the same time?
    Gardengirl
    This might be worth a shot if you can zoom and clip the uniform and save to your PC.
    Then - https://support.google.com/websearch...DDesktop&hl=en

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
      So what were your Frederick's parents names?

Christine
      His father was Frederick Charles and his mother was Lydia Louisa nee Emerson

I remembered where the original was! My cousin on the Isle of Wight has it so no chance of getting a better scan at the moment but I will try that google image search, Christine. Thank you for that suggestion.
      Last edited by Gardengirl; 12-02-20, 09:07.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by the_colour_silver_82 View Post
        can you find who else wore the same uniform around the same time?
        Could you explain how I can do that? I'm going to try the google image search that Christine suggested. Are there any other ways that I could try?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Did he go to university? If so, which one?
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I've looked to see where Tilford is and note that it's very close to Farnham.
            Farnham Swimming Club claim to be one of the oldest swimming clubs in the country and have a history going back to 1893: https://uk.teamunify.com/SubTabGener...stabid_=153498

It might be worth contacting them to see whether they recognise the crest on Fred's costume...
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
              Did he go to university? If so, which one?
              No, definitely not. He was married aged 19 in 1911 Q4 and had their first child in 1914.

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                I've looked to see where Tilford is and note that it's very close to Farnham.
                Farnham Swimming Club claim to be one of the oldest swimming clubs in the country and have a history going back to 1893: https://uk.teamunify.com/SubTabGener...stabid_=153498

It might be worth contacting them to see whether they recognise the crest on Fred's costume...
                Ah, another great idea. I can't thank you all enough for all these suggestions - it is so helpful so see how some lateral thought can be applied to a problem. These are all things that I wouldn't have thought of but will now add to my knowledge bank for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  Thank you Carolyn and Christine. Unfortunately none of those are the same Frederick. There were quite a few Caesar families around the Farnham area in the 18th and 19th centuries and I guess they were probably all connected originally. The branch that my Frederick is from were around Tilford and Wrecclesham and have an interesting connection with cricket history. I have put an article on my weebly blog about them here https://ourpaststories.weebly.com

Tomorrow I must find the original photograph.
                  No help at all, but you mentioned the Farnham area and I thought the name Caesar was familiar - does Sophia Caesar who was briefly the first wife of James Elkins in Wrecclesham ring any bells?

I visited the Tilford museum a while ago:

https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...hlight=tilford - the pictures may not show up as they were on Photobucket but we used several of them in the magazine.
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I’d say he could be even younger. Between maybe 14 to 16. As OC said, his upper body is not well developed and if he is winning medals, you’d expect that in someone who has been swimming for longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                      I’d say he could be even younger. Between maybe 14 to 16. As OC said, his upper body is not well developed and if he is winning medals, you’d expect that in someone who has been swimming for longer.
                      I know what you mean, but we mustn't put our modern notions of athletes into this - diet was poorer, training was poorer. I'd put him at 18-22.
                      Kind regards,
                      William

Comment

Caroline, visiting that place is on my to do list but since we moved down to the coast it's quite a distance. I do vaguely remember seeing the name Sophia but she's not on my branch of the Caesars. Did you see the pub in Wrecclesham called the Cricketers? My man Silver Billy is on the pub sign outside and was born in a little cottage just down the road.

We've digressed a bit here, so easily done, but does anyone have any thoughts on my earlier post about Latin numerals and Volume numbers?

Comment

If he played cricket, it might be worth contacting the I'Anson Cup organisers to see if they have any records, the inter village competitions started in 1901 so they may have more about him and his family. The Rural Centre has a cricket pavilion with some old scoring books as well as other memorabilia so it may be worth asking them too. I used to live in Grayshott, then Headley as a teenager and found it very odd to be seeing the names of my well remembered contemporaries in a museum. :( https://ia.play-cricket.com/

Still doesn't answer your question and I can't see the dates at all. :D
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

This is beginning to hurt my brain!

Following one of Wulliam's links I found some volumes for sale where the description says

so Vol XIII and XIV only refer to a 6 month period in 1902 - when he was 10 years old.

This is the Bodiam Library listing http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo-...n_US&context=L

So, if I am interpreting correctly, where it says [FONT="]Books 602988098 [/FONT][FONT="]13/14 (1902) the numbers 13/14 are the Volume numbers. So, assuming that he was at least 15 when that photo was taken, the volumes that I need to look at are numbers 31 onwards.

[/FONT]
                            Could the volume number in the photo be XXX or could it be XL for 40 something which would be 1909-1911 when he was 17-19 years old?

Sorry if this is all a bit confusing but writing it down is helping me to make sense of it and if anyone has the time to check my thought process that would be great.
                            I think XL is far more likely than XXX - the faint figure which I thought was a '1' does have a bit of a tail at the bottom right - it could be an 'L', but I don't think there's anything to the right of that, so just 'XL' - dating it at 1908/1909.

Bear in mind that this bound volume is in amongst what look like prizes - is it perhaps more likely to have been a prize rather than having an article about him?

Another thought - if the original photo has the photographer's name/address on it then it should be possible to find out when he was in business, possibly narrowing the dates down that way.
                            Kind regards,
                            William

Comment

Hi William, I suppose it is a possibility that the magazines were a prize but I felt that the photograph was probably taken for a publicity reason. I doubt if his family would have organised it, and with the magazine being so prominently displayed made me think it was for them (and hopefully they used that picture in the magazine. Incidentally, it has always amused me that he appears to have kept his long johns and socks on. Such modesty!

Unfortunately I have never seen the actual original photo. I realised last night that the reason that I couldn't remember where it was was because I have never actually seen it. My cousin in the I.O.W. has a box of photos and his daughter kindly scanned them all onto a CD and sent it to me. She numbered them all and included a list of his recollections of who they might be. He just gave a name on this one which probably means that he doesn't remember any family stories about him. My cousin is quite a bit older than me and Frederick died in 1942 before either of us were born.

Without any photo enhancing software I think that XL is as close as we're going to get so I will order that volume and the subsequent ones. The binder on the table would probably be for magazines that had already been published so this article, if it exists, would have ended up in a later one. Fingers crossed that we have come to the right conclusion

Comment

I hope so - let us know how you get on!
                                Kind regards,
                                William

Comment

Thank you Carolyn and Christine. Unfortunately none of those are the same Frederick. There were quite a few Caesar families around the Farnham area in the 18th and 19th centuries and I guess they were probably all connected originally. The branch that my Frederick is from were around Tilford and Wrecclesham and have an interesting connection with cricket history. I have put an article on my weebly blog about them here https://ourpaststories.weebly.com

Tomorrow I must find the original photograph.
                                  Just had to say what a lovely read, what a find. Nothing in the papers that I can see.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you, Caroline, it's nice to know that it reads well. You never know whether what's interesting to you is also interesting to other people.

Comment

where is the uniform from, as in, for example, what's the organization, name ??

whoever else was part of the group, may be able to give your more info.

Comment

I think it's just a swimming costume and I'm hoping that the cross on the front might represent England but apart from that I have no clues. I tried a reverse google image search and found nothing similar at all.

Comment

I did wonder if it is a school emblem, but then he is probably too old for school.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                          X