Coroner's report in the newspapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    where are the rest of the family in 1851?
    I wish I knew Carolyn! I just can’t find them at all. Apart from Daniel that is. He married Ann Colclough 1843 St John, Burslem. Daniel and Ann are my 3xGt Grandparents. Daddy’s mother was a Harrison.
    1851 - Daniel and Ann are living in Chell along with their children William, Serena (shown as Surenor) and John who died 7 July 1851 aged just over 5 months. This is the only census where Daniel and Ann are in the same household.
    I have no idea if Daniel’s parents John and Mary / Mary Ann are still alive in 1851 nor have I a clue as to what became of Daniel’s siblings who were on the 1841 census. There is an age gap of roughly 8 years between John and William so I assume there were some other children who died very young. Charlotte who is the youngest on the 1841 census is the only one where there is a birth certificate so I now know Daniel’s mother’s ms was Dunn.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-02-20, 16:12.

Comment

I forgot to add that John has been variously described as a dealer in china, earthenware dealer, potter and packer.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-02-20, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        I forgot to add that John has been variously described as a dealer in china, earthenware dealer, potter and packer.
        he maybe on the move then, my husbands family were described as that - settled in South Wales in the end, still dealing china, some forums are saying they were gypsies. But I think by and large they were travelling salesman. and took earthenware around the country.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          I wish I knew Carolyn! I just can’t find them at all. Apart from Daniel that is. He married Ann Colclough 1843 St John, Burslem. Daniel and Ann are my 3xGt Grandparents. Daddy’s mother was a Harrison.
          1851 - Daniel and Ann are living in Chell along with their children William, Serena (shown as Surenor) and John who died 7 July 1851 aged just over 5 months. This is the only census where Daniel and Ann are in the same household.
          I have no idea if Daniel’s parents John and Mary / Mary Ann are still alive in 1851 nor have I a clue as to what became of Daniel’s siblings who were on the 1841 census. There is an age gap of roughly 8 years between John and William so I assume there were some other children who died very young. Charlotte who is the youngest on the 1841 census is the only one where there is a birth certificate so I now know Daniel’s mother’s ms was Dunn.
          ahh right, you said that you couldn't find Charlotte, I had assumed you found the others! The plot thickens then.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Spent ages looking for 1851 and one thing I did come up with was a newspaper clipping

Staffordshire Advertiser 21 September 1844
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Elaine; 09-02-20, 21:23.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Spent ages looking for 1851 and one thing I did come up with was a newspaper clipping

Staffordshire Advertiser 21 September 1844
              That is a great possibility for Charlotte's mother. Thanks so much. I will order the pdf of the death.

Comment

This is the one I wasn't sure about, but John has a brother William and he is on the high Street, but he is a hairdresser 1851

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

marriage transcription

Last edited by Elaine; 09-02-20, 21:39.
                Elaine

Comment

Interesting - she was buried 22 September at Christ Church, Tunstall as plain Mary Harrison (the same burial place as Charlotte. Her death is also registered as Mary.

If this death is indeed the mother of my 3xGt. Grandfather Daniel, the 1841 census records her as Mary Ann but that's only place I have found the two forenames. It also records that she was not born in Staffordshire county. The only possible marriage I have found is 1818 in Howden, East Riding, Yorkshire. John Harrison, dealer in china to Mary Dunn. I then found a 1796 baptism of a Mary Dunn in Howden to George Dunn and Susanna Jacques - lucky for me that the vicar of Howden kept fantastic registers - he recorded both birth and baptism dates plus mother's forename and maiden surname. John Harrison (potter) and his wife Mary had a son George Dunn Harrison baptised in Howden 1819. This George died in Howden 1838 aged 18.

However - there is a fly in the ointment because Daniel was born 1824 in Staffordshire as were all the children on the 1841 census. All but Charlotte were born before George Dunn Harrison died. Why would the family be in Staffordshire as early as 1824 and yet the firstborn George (who was only about 5 years old by then) still be in Yorkshire and seems to never have left.

Unless of course, the John Harrison and Mary Dunn who married in 1818 are not my Daniels' parents. Arggh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                    This is the one I wasn't sure about, but John has a brother William and he is on the High Street, but he is a hairdresser 1851
                    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

marriage transcription
                    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
                    I have found the actual marriage certificate for John Harrison and Ann Hambleton Kirkham - looks good but guess what else turned up also at Christ Church, Tunstall earlier in the same year? A marriage for a Mary Ann Harrison to a James Kirkham. Sadly the two Kirkhams, Ann and James are not siblings but I wouldn't bet against them being related and John getting to know Ann through his elder sibling Mary Ann's marriage. These two marriages could well be my Daniel's siblings.

HARRISON, Mary Ann and KIRKHAM, James Marriage Certificate 1846.jpg

HARRISON, Mary Ann and KIRKHAM, James Marriage Certificate 1846.jpg
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-02-20, 22:39.

Comment

I knew I had seen them but could I find them tonight!
                      Elaine

Comment

Fell foul of time there but have now found the James and Elizabeth Rowley who are on the 1851 census as Uncle and Aunt are Ann's relations, not John's. James Rowley married Elizabeth Kirkham 1819 St Margaret, Wolstanton.
                        Interesting that John's brother William born c.1836 is shown as William H Harrison. He's just plain William in 1841. I will see if I can find a marriage for him.
                        Also interesting that one of John and Ann's children is called George.

Comment

I assume you have seen the newspaper cutting re Daniels death on Ancestry?

Seems to be a miss Mary Ann Harrison in Tunstall involved in some wrong doings in 1860s in the paper, but can't see that this would be anything to do with yours.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

This is a possibility but no middle name this time 1858 at St John, Burslem. I hate it when the bride and the groom have the same surname but this one also has a vicar called John Harrison. Presumably no relation LOL

HARRISON, William and HARRISON, Mary Marriage Certifcate 1858.jpg

I have found them on 1861 census. They have moved away to 6 Brighton Place, Poulton cum Seacombe on the Wirral peninsula, Cheshire. William was indeed born Tunstall and Mary was born in Burslem. They have two children called Richard (2) and William (11 months) both born Burslem. Interestingly their near neighbours are also in the pottery trade and came from Staffordshire - Burslem, Hanley and Stoke on Trent. Perhaps a new firm starting up or a Staffordshire factory expanding and building a new place?

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              I assume you have seen the newspaper cutting re Daniels death on Ancestry?

Seems to be a miss Mary Ann Harrison in Tunstall involved in some wrong doings in 1860s in the paper, but can't see that this would be anything to do with yours.
                              Is that the 1869 death of Daniel from his injuries at the colliery where the roof caved in on him? If so, yes I have it.

Nothing would surprise me about wrong doings in my Harrison clan LOL My Gt. Grandfather William Harrison has a misspent youth and appeared in a couple of newspaper articles about his court appearances. He ended up spending some time at the Industrial School, Werrington. I have not been able to find records of his admission and discharge but he's there on the 1881 census. One of Daniel Harrison and Ann Colclough's children was Prudence. Not an appropriate name as it turns out. She married a widower much older than herself but that did not work out as they were both on separate censuses before he died. She then turns up still using her married name in a known red light district of Shelton as a lodging house keeper. Her own mother is listed as her servant!! and she doesn't let on she's her mother. She has various occupants in the house that night - 1 female called Julia Booth who is listed as a "visitor" born Burslem and nothing else is written about her; 2 males also described as "visitor" about whom she knows absolutely zilch apart from their ages. The only thing we can think of is she was running a house of ill repute LOL As for her own age, she never, ever told the truth on censuses sometimes she did a "Benjamin Button". She later married again and she and her husband were the witnesses at my Gt. Grandparents marriage.
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-02-20, 00:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X