Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verify death cert text and possible address lookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    Following on from Christine's tree on Ancestry, is there a particular branch that needs continuing?
    Hiya Carolyn,
    Could you focus on the children of William Birch and Louisa Smith and work forwards, as it looks like Lee and I are working on the Birches in Mold at the moment.
    Who would have thought we would get back to the grandparents of the Edwin Birch in post 1 of this thread, but we have, and it's all sourced...
    I'm quite intrigued by all those spinster daughters of Edwin Birch - we have two them dying in France, we know Harriette was living in England in 1909. Could you see if you can find anything else on Harriette and Emily Birch? The problem is they could be anywhere, and are unlikely to be with other family members...
    I can't view trees on Ancestry so it might be worth checking some of them out. Having said that, the bits I have seen in hints have all accepted the dates on the findagrave site for Edwin, which we know are wrong, plus a lot seem to have William Birch's wife as Louisa Walker, when she was Louisa Smith.
    Thanks for contributing.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Woohoo - I did a no name search of the 1939 register typing in the DOB 13 Aug 1862 (as mentioned in post 25) and lo and behold, one of the results was Harriett (sic) Birch.
      Unfortunately 1939 not included in my FMP sub so could someone else check it out?

9 South Terrace, Littlehampton U.D., Sussex, England
      Louisa Birch and 4 more people are on this record.

Feeling pretty pleased with that, so off to bed now...

Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 14-02-20, 01:17.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
        Woohoo - I did a no name search of the 1939 register typing in the DOB 13 Aug 1862 (as mentioned in post 25) and lo and behold, one of the results was Harriett (sic) Birch.
        Unfortunately 1939 not included in my FMP sub so could someone else check it out?

9 South Terrace, Littlehampton U.D., Sussex, England
        Louisa Birch and 4 more people are on this record.

Feeling pretty pleased with that, so off to bed now...

Christine
        Ooh, nice catch.

Louisa Birch, 11 Feb 1856, Widow, Private means
        Harriette Birch, 13 Aug 1862, Single, Private means
        Minnie L Selly/Selby, 22 Feb 1870, Single, Private means
        Edith F Chamberlain, 20 Jun 1892, Single, Housekeeper
        Gwendoline B Bennett (was Smart), 17 Sep 1894, Widow, Private means
        Reginald H Bennett, 7 Aug 1882, Widow, Chartered surveyor

So Williams widow is living with his sister Harriette? I assume Gwendoline is his daughter, but the DOB is exactly 1 year off.
        Last edited by pearlyred; 14-02-20, 02:00.

Comment

BIRCH, LOUISA 87
          GRO Reference: 1942 M Quarter in WORTHING Volume 02B Page 909

Likely Louisas death, now we know they're in Sussex.

Comment

Transcription error for Gwendoline. Must be the same one (Williams Daughter) but don't know why the DOB is off by 1 year. Unless there's another Gwendoline.

1920 Marriage - Gwendoline B Birch & James D Smail - St Martin, London
            1939 Marriage - Gwendoline B Smail & Reginald H W Bennett - Kensington, London
            Last edited by pearlyred; 14-02-20, 02:37.

Comment

Harriette and Minnie Selby are also living together in 1901

162 Upper Richmond Street, Putney, London.
              Harriette Birch, 38, Manicurist, Ireland
              Minnie Selby, 31, Hampshire

They're both listed as "partners". I assume business-wise, but could be a relationship? Unsure what the additional handwriting added to the occupation column means..

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 3.49.58 PM.png

Comment

Lee,

With all the new Mold info plus the various bits and pieces found over the course of this thread, I've started a private Ancestry tree for the Birch family.

If you or anyone else who has contributed to this thread would like to see it and contribute as editors, just send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an invite.

I can only add free Ancestry records as I don't have an ancestry sub currently, but found lots of info on FMP, inc baps for Edwin and all the brothers mentioned in the funeral article. I'll gradually add the dates and other descriptive stuff, weblinks etc over the coming days but would appreciate others helping the tree along...

Christine
                Hi Christine could you send me an invite for the tree please.
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Hi Christine could you send me an invite for the tree please.
                  Invite with editor rights just sent.

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by pearlyred View Post
                    Found another son on Edwins burial record, entry 519, Charles.. not sure on the initial. Maybe an 'S'? Haven't managed to find much about him yet though.
                    Yay - I've found Charles. Can someone with access to FMP Irish newspapers see if there is any further information to be gleaned from the somewhat garbled preview here or see if there is anything further in Lincoln/England papers.

As I couldn't find this death in Ireland, I looked in England and found
                    Deaths Mar 1910 (>99%)
                    BIRCH Charles Sheriff 50 Lincoln 7a 317

This is enough to convince me that he is the son whose birth was announced in 1860 (post 25) so I'll update the tree accordingly.

Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 15-02-20, 00:09.
                    Researching:

Comment

I'd looked at this 1901 census before as a possibility for Charles Birch and am now somewhat more persuaded it's him now that we know for sure he was born 1860. What do you think?

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

But unless he married between 1901 and 1910 death, there might not be any children from this line either...

Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 15-02-20, 00:32.
                      Researching:

Comment

Yay - I've found Charles. Can someone with access to FMP Irish newspapers see if there is any further information to be gleaned from the somewhat garbled preview here or see if there is anything further in Lincoln/England papers.

As I couldn't find this death in Ireland, I looked in England and found
                        Deaths Mar 1910 (>99%)
                        BIRCH Charles Sheriff 50 Lincoln 7a 317

This is enough to convince me that he is the son whose birth was announced in 1860 (post 25) so I'll update the tree accordingly.

Christine
                        BIRCH-January 31, 1910 at Lincoln (of heart failure), Charles Shirreff Birch, youngest son of the late Edwin Birch, of Dublin.

Well.. at least we know there are no more sons after Charles.

Comment

I'd looked at this 1901 census before as a possibility for Charles Birch and am now somewhat more persuaded it's him now that we know for sure he was born 1860. What do you think?

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

But unless he married between 1901 and 1910 death, there might not be any children from this line either...

Christine
                          I guess there's a good chance of him not having children based on his occupation (commercial traveller.. travelling salesman?). I can't see anything obvious. Haven't found him in 1891 yet either.
                          Last edited by pearlyred; 15-02-20, 04:05.

Comment

I am seeing Holyhead popping up and found this, but as yet not sure if it is for anyone in the tree:

Liverpool Evening Express 24 May 1941 Birch divorce.JPG
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              I am seeing Holyhead popping up and found this, but as yet not sure if it is for anyone in the tree:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20582[/ATTACH]
                              I don't think I've seen those names before, but the Birch's I'm aware of already are all from the London,Bucks,Middlesex area.

Comment

The family were living in Sycamores, Holyhead in 1911, so thought worth noting, although it is Mrs Birch that is back in Holyhead.

I have found the marriage - and it looks like a red herring, father William Edwin Birch - builder:
                                marriage.jpg
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-02-20, 23:42.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                X