Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verify death cert text and possible address lookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good find

and confirms marriage is correct, she was 62 when she married.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      good find

and confirms marriage is correct, she was 62 when she married.
      Yeah, couldn't find any specific record for a marriage though, only births and deaths were available. He was an army colonel (retired) when he died, but I can't find much about Margaret. She must have been doing something over there! The probate on her will was for £14,398, which is no small amount. Some of that may have been family money..
      Last edited by pearlyred; 11-02-20, 22:10.

Comment

Originally posted by pearlyred View Post
        Yeah, couldn't find any specific record for a marriage though, only births and deaths were available. He was an army colonel (retired) when he died, but I can't find much about Margaret. She must have been doing something over there!
        I had a look this morning to see if I could find her at some point in UK outgoing travel records but gave up after a while when I wasn't finding anything that fitted on FMP. (Didn't go though all the M Birch records!) Couldn't find her in 1939 register either - at least not a Margaret Birch with her DOB as per the baptism record you posted. So where the heck is she?
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          Just to sum up so far - we have Edwin Birch marrying Eliza Worn in 1848 and having children as follows:
          Elizabeth Birch - eldest daughter - born circa 1849 died 1909 - did not marry
          Emily Birch - 3rd daughter - died 1930 in Nimes, France - did not marry
          Annie Birch - possibly 2nd daughter - born circa 1853 - unmarried as of 1901 census - I haven't found her in 1911 census or found a possible late marriage or death for her in Ireland. But perhaps she too ventured abroad?
          Harriette Birch - unmarried as of 1909 - living in Putney at that time.

Seems unlikely that there are descendants from the above!

The only sons we know of as yet are Captain William Birch c1857-1918 and the son Edwin George Birch who died aged 2 (from the findagrave headstone)

Were there any more married sons or daughters?

Christine
          Found another son on Edwins burial record, entry 519, Charles.. not sure on the initial. Maybe an 'S'? Haven't managed to find much about him yet though.
          Last edited by pearlyred; 12-02-20, 00:47.

Comment

Found another son on Edwins burial record, entry 519, Charles.. not sure on the initial. Maybe an 'S'? Haven't managed to find much about him yet though.
            I found a few that initially looked like possibilities for this Charles Birch, but on looking more closely, have ruled them out. Have you managed to find anything definitive on him?

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Veering back to Captain William Birch who was torpedoed on the Leinster - this account re his disputed will is interesting!

There is only one Caroline Barnard in Ireland in the 1911 census - she is 26 so considerably younger than William.

It looks like the will was ruled invalid as letters of administration were granted later that year to Harriette Irene Birch. See bottom of column 5 on this page for claims against his estate:

Christine
              Researching:

Comment

Thanks all. Yes, I have the findagrave pages, plus most of the general info stories on William Birch and the Leinster. I'm currently just trying to expand that family out to see if there are other brothers/uncles of Edwin that may have descended to my family....

I'm slowly trying to figure a connection, if any. If there's nothing there, then it's at least an interesting story to explore more
                I've been playing around with the Welsh newspaper website and found more information about Edwin Birch of Dublin. It seems that he was originally from Mold, as mentioned in more than one article that I found.

The article with the most info concerns the funeral of his brother William Birch in Mold in 1861 with other Birch brothers also mentioned: scroll down to the bottom of the previous column for the start of the article.

This must be birth of his eldest daughter Elizabeth Birch 14 ult (ie February) 1849

I also found another daughter - the only one we have found so far who married. At Saillans, Drome, France 27 August 1885: Eleanor (Nellie) - Moutarde and Birch marriage on this page:

Unfortunately she dies just a few years later aged 29 on 31 Dec 1887. Wonder if there were any Moutarde children?

Christine
                Researching:

Comment

Veering back to Captain William Birch who was torpedoed on the Leinster - this account re his disputed will is interesting!

There is only one Caroline Barnard in Ireland in the 1911 census - she is 26 so considerably younger than William.

It looks like the will was ruled invalid as letters of administration were granted later that year to Harriette Irene Birch. See bottom of column 5 on this page for claims against his estate:

Christine
                  Yes it's a very interesting story. There was talk of the young Charles being illegitimate, but I doubt you could prove that now. I applied for a copy of his Will.. I'm not sure what that will include, in terms of how it was administered as I've never ordered one before.

Comment

Wow Christine, great find on the Edwin Birch articles! I didn't know about this newspaper source, so have added it to my list now!

I'd seen a couple of things linking Edwin to Mold, Wales, but hadn't seen anything concrete. It's great to have the link proven!

There are quite a few useful bits of info in that funeral notice! I was actually giving up trying to find a link to the Birch family I relate to, but these extra people are worth tracking down, if for no reason other than it's an interesting story

Lee

Comment

Wow Christine, great find on the Edwin Birch articles! I didn't know about this newspaper source, so have added it to my list now!

I'd seen a couple of things linking Edwin to Mold, Wales, but hadn't seen anything concrete. It's great to have the link proven!

There are quite a few useful bits of info in that funeral notice! I was actually giving up trying to find a link to the Birch family I relate to, but these extra people are worth tracking down, if for no reason other than it's an interesting story

Lee
                      Lee,

With all the new Mold info plus the various bits and pieces found over the course of this thread, I've started a private Ancestry tree for the Birch family.

If you or anyone else who has contributed to this thread would like to see it and contribute as editors, just send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an invite.

I can only add free Ancestry records as I don't have an ancestry sub currently, but found lots of info on FMP, inc baps for Edwin and all the brothers mentioned in the funeral article. I'll gradually add the dates and other descriptive stuff, weblinks etc over the coming days but would appreciate others helping the tree along...

Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 13-02-20, 00:02.
                      Researching:

Comment

Lee
                        Yes, it's a good source although it only has papers up to 1919 so quite fortunate that the disputed will case took place that year.

Christine
                        Researching:

Comment

Lee,

With all the new Mold info plus the various bits and pieces found over the course of this thread, I've started a private Ancestry tree for the Birch family.

If you or anyone else who has contributed to this thread would like to see it and contribute as editors, just send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an invite.

I can only add free Ancestry records as I don't have an ancestry sub currently, but found lots of info on FMP, inc baps for Edwin and all the brothers mentioned in the funeral article. I'll gradually add the dates and other descriptive stuff, weblinks etc over the coming days but would appreciate others helping the tree along...

Christine
                          oh yes please I am anccarolyn on ancestry if not can send email address
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

oh yes please I am anccarolyn on ancestry if not can send email address
                            I've just sent you an invite.

Christine
                            Researching:

Comment

...ignore
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 13-02-20, 13:48.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Charles L Birch (says R) on Ancestry on 1939 reg with child Michael P born 28 Oct 1935, father is in Cambridge as bank cashier. DoB matches
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Charles L Birch (says R) on Ancestry on 1939 reg with child Michael P born 28 Oct 1935, father is in Cambridge as bank cashier. DoB matches
                                  Hi Carolyn,
                                  Just go ahead and add anything to the tree that you are sure about - you have editing rights.
                                  Christine
                                  Researching:

Comment

Yes it's a very interesting story. There was talk of the young Charles being illegitimate, but I doubt you could prove that now. I applied for a copy of his Will.. I'm not sure what that will include, in terms of how it was administered as I've never ordered one before.
                                    the baptism is on ancestry

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 20.50.25.png
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Do you mean Charles was possibly an illegitimate son of William and Caroline Barnard who was foisted on Louisa?
                                      Or do you mean Louisa had a fling whilst William was away at sea?
                                      I love a bit of scandal in a tree!

Christine
                                      Researching:

Comment

Do you mean Charles was possibly an illegitimate son of William and Caroline Barnard who was foisted on Louisa?
                                        Or do you mean Louisa had a fling whilst William was away at sea?
                                        I love a bit of scandal in a tree!

Christine
                                        First option, son of Caroline, but I guess the baptism (potentially) disproves that. Or Louisa didn't want to 'lose face' and put her name down?

Williams will apparently left stocks and shares to Caroline as well as the residue of his assets to be held in trust by her for Charles, before it was contested. Who knows?

Comment

Following on from Christine's tree on Ancestry, is there a particular branch that needs continuing?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X