Death certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certificate

A Gt grandmother's death in 1866 - if she was a widow, would it show that the husband was deceased? I have got her death certificate but it just states 'Wife of' and the name of the husband and what work he did. I have found a death of a William Southcott in 1859 in the right area, but the 1861 census shows him as still alive. I have sent a query to GRO, but I am not sure that I will get an answer.

I have found that if it says "wife of", the husband is usually still living. It depends who the person was who registered the death and how much information they knew.

Comment

As Vivian says, any death certificates that I've had have been quite accurate .....................

although it does rather depend on the informant.

I've found that if the couple has separated, the certificates that I've seen have been more likely to say "widow of .... ", even if the husband is still alive but living elsewhere. The women seemed to think it sounded better to be a widow, than separated!
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Just out of interest, I went to the GRO Index site, which shows ages at death, and found the following 4 William Southcotts, the only ones to die in that time period.

Do you know the age of your William?

SOUTHCOTT, WILLIAM 33
        GRO Reference: 1858 J Quarter in TAUNTON Volume 05C Page 272

SOUTHCOTT, WILLIAM 54
        GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in CLIFTON Volume 06A Page 70

SOUTHCOTT, WILLIAM 65
        GRO Reference: 1859 D Quarter in EXETER Volume 05B Page 68

SOUTHCOTT, WILLIAM 70
        GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in EXETER Volume 05B Page 72
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

The following Williams age 70 or over died between 1861 and 1871 in that area of England ....

SOUTHCOTT, WILLIAM 89
          GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in CREDITON Volume 05B Page 247

SOUTHCOTT, WILLIAM 86
          GRO Reference: 1871 M Quarter in EXETER Volume 05B Page 74

Comment

Originally posted by Suflod View Post
            I have got her death certificate but it just states 'Wife of' and the name of the husband and what work he did.
            "Wife of ... " should indicate her husband was still alive, as that was her status at the time of her death. If he had pre-deceased her it should say "widow of..... ".

Of course that may also depend on the informant who registered her death knowing her family circumstances well enough to give accurate information.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
            X