Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organising Your Family History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    I started with index sheets for each name but abandoned that idea when the tree was still small, chasing folk through the census was far more thrilling than updating paperwork.


    In recent weeks I've done a heap of work on my half siblings side, right from half siblings back to their 3 or 4xgrt grandparents. Nowadays my tree is about detail and quality not quantity but as my b/f had children to several partners, chasing those lines back has seen my tree grow by about 300 names. Some may ask why as the new names are not my relations but I've found a couple of links between my maternal and paternal lines in the early 1800's which came as a surprise.

    I also find it odd to discover things like my grandmother descendants; she had children from 1908-1938 but her first grandchild arrived in 1934, certain branches are 6 generations in 100 years whereas my branch is just 4. My daughter in generation 4 is actually younger than two generation 6 names.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

    Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

    Comment


      #22
      I found Paul's indexing system interesting and will try and do something on the same lines as my present 'system' (well there isn't really a 'system' more heaps of papers and a couple of boxes with files in!) is a shambles, so some serious sorting out is well overdue, it might also encourage me to sort out my 'study' which is a disgrace!
      Margaret

      Comment


        #23
        Definitely agree Glen its all about quality rather than quantity!


        Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
        I started with index sheets for each name but abandoned that idea when the tree was still small, chasing folk through the census was far more thrilling than updating paperwork.


        In recent weeks I've done a heap of work on my half siblings side, right from half siblings back to their 3 or 4xgrt grandparents. Nowadays my tree is about detail and quality not quantity but as my b/f had children to several partners, chasing those lines back has seen my tree grow by about 300 names. Some may ask why as the new names are not my relations but I've found a couple of links between my maternal and paternal lines in the early 1800's which came as a surprise.

        I also find it odd to discover things like my grandmother descendants; she had children from 1908-1938 but her first grandchild arrived in 1934, certain branches are 6 generations in 100 years whereas my branch is just 4. My daughter in generation 4 is actually younger than two generation 6 names.
        My Family History Blog Site:

        https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          I found Paul's indexing system interesting and will try and do something on the same lines as my present 'system' (well there isn't really a 'system' more heaps of papers and a couple of boxes with files in!) is a shambles, so some serious sorting out is well overdue, it might also encourage me to sort out my 'study' which is a disgrace!
          If you get some inspiration Rusty thats great, whatever system you adopt, as long as it works for you, thats the key bit.
          My Family History Blog Site:

          https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by Paulc View Post
            If you get some inspiration Rusty thats great, whatever system you adopt, as long as it works for you, thats the key bit.
            Thank you Paul.
            Margaret

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by Paulc View Post
              It's taken me a long long time to get myself organised, no system is perfect, believe me! Mine has evolved and been adapted over the years, normally when I have been unable to find something when I needed it most, or I have downloaded or ordered a certificate twice!

              I have added pictures and written up how my system works. I use a lot of templates and sheets that I have made for myself, if anybody wants a copy of any of these, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

              https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2020...amily-history/



              I have had had a few more requests recently from people wanting to use the forms that I have made for myself, if anybody wants copies on here, just let me know
              My Family History Blog Site:

              https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

              Comment

              Working...
              X