Genealogy podcasts anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy podcasts anyone?

I am a fan of podcasts and sometimes stumble across ones that I wouldn't have thought to look for.

A few months ago I found one called Behind the Headlines of History which is produced by Ancestry and Newspapers.com It is basically anecdotes based on newspaper articles with some not too subtle advertising mixed in. Pleasant listening on a car journey though.

More recently I discovered one called the Amateur Family History podcast. It is produced by an amateur genealogist (the clue is in the title) and so far he is working through the most commonly used sources and resources, explaining how and when to use them plus his personal comments on pitfalls and things to look out for. I'd describe it as 'entry level' information but I have found it interesting and have picked up a few tips. The one I listened to today (while I was gardening) was an interview with Pat Reynolds, the Executive Director of FreeBMD. Very interesting background into the set up and running of FreeBMD and the two sister sites.

I have a couple of others waiting to be listened to; Generations Cafe from Amy Johnson Crow and The Photo Detective from Maureen Taylor.

Has anyone else tried any of these? Or have any recommendations for other Family History related podcasts?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Funny you should mention I stumbled across the behind the headlines from a sponsored FB post, and though I must work out how to get a podcast going in the car, ready to listen when I go to my parents.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Do you have a smartphone that you can plug into your car radio? I use an app called Podcasts and download them at home via my wifi then plug my phone in when I want to listen in the car.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

yes have android and android auto, and always forget till I get in the car, I do listen to books when I remember to get one from library.

I will sort it tomorrow.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

the airing cupboard - where the extraordinary stories of ordinary people get an airing.

Because some of us have a thirst for wonder and connection... The airing cupboard podcast is a curation of short true-life stories about those moments of serendipity and convergence, when life shifts a little, never to be the same again. Let Zoé t...

These are truly beautiful.

I love the old man and the dog especially https://www.buzzsprout.com/348590/17...an-and-his-dog

This one. https://www.buzzsprout.com/348590/19...ttoo?play=true

I actually was a little bit involved with

I wrote a blog recently, for Family Tree Magazine, all about the visual imagery of Family History and the different ways in which we can present our Family History Research, see the link below; Fam…
          Last edited by Paulc; 25-01-20, 20:56.
          My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I'll add that one to my list

Comment

Yesterday I listened to an episode from The Photo Detective podcast series where she introduced the developer of an online site called MemoryWeb. Allowing for the fact that the podcast was clearly promoting the product, I thought it sounded quite exciting as a way of solving the perennial question 'how do I sort and organise my photos?'

Has anyone else heard of it or used it? It was bordering on 'too good to be true' but I think it might be worth a try. I think it costs roughly the same amount as a basic Ancestry subscription but there is a 2 week free trial available.

Comment

( I like Peter Crouch's podcast .... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06...odes/downloads
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Didn't know he was into geneology

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    ( I like Peter Crouch's podcast .... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06...odes/downloads
                    We love them too Caroline LOL.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                      Yesterday I listened to an episode from The Photo Detective podcast series where she introduced the developer of an online site called MemoryWeb. Allowing for the fact that the podcast was clearly promoting the product, I thought it sounded quite exciting as a way of solving the perennial question 'how do I sort and organise my photos?'

Has anyone else heard of it or used it? It was bordering on 'too good to be true' but I think it might be worth a try. I think it costs roughly the same amount as a basic Ancestry subscription but there is a 2 week free trial available.
                      I've been trying this out today and it is brilliant! Does everything that I wanted it to and more. And there appears to be a 30% offer available although I don't know if it still applies. I'm just using a two week free trial at the moment.

Let's see if the sharing facility works ....

This should link to a photo that I have added 'metadata' to - No need to know what it means or how it works and it's very easy to do.

Can you see it? There is a little camera turn round icon above the image which should allow you to see both sides of the postcard.
                      Last edited by Gardengirl; 16-02-20, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                        I've been trying this out today and it is brilliant! Does everything that I wanted it to and more. And there appears to be a 30% offer available although I don't know if it still applies. I'm just using a two week free trial at the moment.

Let's see if the sharing facility works ....

This should link to a photo that I have added 'metadata' to - No need to know what it means or how it works and it's very easy to do.

Can you see it? There is a little camera turn round icon above the image which should allow you to see both sides of the postcard.
                        It work well! I love being able to see the back of the card.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

how fun
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

And it does facial recognition!!!! Woohoo!!
                            Last edited by Gardengirl; 16-02-20, 18:17.

Comment

Love the ability to flip it over.

Comment

It's great isn't it? I have quite a few photographs that my dad and my aunt have annotated on the backs so it will be great to save them as well. You can add any kind of images so certificates, jpegs of census returns, scans of letters, cards, passports etc etc

Comment

How does the memory web system work? The podcast didn't really explain that much detail?

Comment

Basically you upload your images (not just photos, you can add certificates etc too) then you can tag them in all sorts of ways so that what you might normally write on the back of a photo becomes part of the image file.

For example if I tag all the photos of my aunt Daisy and the postcards that she sent with her name, date and location, I can then leave them in a folder for her whole family eg The Smiths Family album but search for just her, line them up in date order, look at maps of the locations and so on. The beauty is that you only have one copy of each picture but it can be tagged into lots of different albums. So, if I tagged the pictures of Daisy at xmas celebrations with the word xmas, and also all the other people in xmas photos, then I could have an album of xmas celebrations over the years.

It's the speed and ease that you can do multiple tagging that makes it so good.

There's lots of information and some video examples here https://www.memoryweb.me/for-genealogy/organizing

Comment

Thanks Gardengirl that makes a lot more sense. I will have a look at the videos as well.

I am in the process of trying to organise my photos so this might do the job for me.

Comment

Paul, the more I use it the easier it is getting and I keep finding more features, too. It also has an app that you can put on your smartphone so you can see everything when you are away from your laptop, too. Useful for research trips and for showing pictures to relatives. There are some additional features that seem to only be on the phone app, too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X