A very long shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very long shot

but could somebody who is great with photo manipulation be able to sharpen up the name on the street sign? Many thanks.

8273C93C-C3FE-4500-9B40-5E9DE9ADA8A0.jpeg
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-12-19, 14:45.

The bottom word looks like 'ALES'.

Comment

That's the a pub sign, the street sign is the whitened area at the top of the brickwork top left.

Comment

I have tried but it hasn't been scanned at a high enough resolution to make it clear. It looks something like No Wa! or No We! but that wouldn't make sense. I wondered about No Way but the last one doesn't look like a y. Sorry GL.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-12-19, 10:02.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I did think maybe an M for Mews on second word as quite short - but that sounds too fancy?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Could it be Walk?
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

There only appears to be room on the sign for three letters after the No and a space. So I don't think it could be Mews or Walk.
              p.s. It is side on though, so could be an optical illusion of the length of sign?
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-12-19, 10:05.

Comment

Do you have any other information that could help eg the approximate location, the name of the ale house, the date? Where did the picture come from? Might it be possible to get a better copy?
                Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Thanks folks but someone on Facebook has solved it using the building as the clue. It says Pall Mall. The trouble was that there were a handful of pubs in the towns of Stoke on Trent called the Foaming Quart. The photo was a saved scan as it’s not mine.

Comment

Makes sense, when I started reading your reply was initially amazed how Pall Mall had changed!
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Out of curiosity, how did the building give a clue to the road name?

Comment

Glad to hear you solved it GL. I would never have got that, even now I know I still can't make it out lol.

Comment

Was inquisitive about the name, I see that it was named after Pall Mall,

The 'London' streets of Hanley
                          "In Whites Directory of 1834 for Staffordshire, Hanley was described as a large modern town, the largest in the Potteries and second in Staffordshire only to Wolverhampton, its streets were spacious and well-paved, its houses were neat and some of them were, like the public edifices, elegant. Small wonder then that this capital town of the whole Fowlea Valley should name a little group of its new streets after those of London. So we have Cheapside, Piccadilly, and Pall Mall, in a naive apeing of a foppish. distant area by people who have rarely understood just how proud they ought to be of themselves."
                          "Portrait of the Potteries" Bill Morland

Something new for me.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                            Out of curiosity, how did the building give a clue to the road name?
                            The building stands on a corner and has a front door across the corner. Also the stone columns each side of the door are quite distinctive. I also found the maps at the bottom of a page on Pall Mall on potteries.org after I had the info below for address. I didn’t post the full image as it was not mine and the owner only wanted to identify where the pub was. The couple are his great grandparents and the babe in arms is his grandfather. Whilst the grandfather’s name is above the door, he is not on either the 1901 or 1911 census at that address but I did find for the enquirer that his great grandfather was on the voter’s roll 1907-1910 inclusive at 58 Pall Mall, Hanley and also in 1907 Kelly’s Directory as living at that same address and trading from it as a beer retailer. I was hoping to be able to get a definitive street name before I posted in his FB thread but somebody beat me to it! I will go and ask on the original thread if the person who provided another photo to solve it would mind me copying to here so you can all see the result.
                            The fact that there were 4 or 5 pubs in the wider area called The Foaming Quart caused no end of confusion and there were many theories and much discussion on which one this was. Some were eliminated as folks posted original photos of them to show that the building shape did not correspond. Another fly in the ointment was that the brand of beer sold was Parker’s Ales which was a Burslem firm. Some folks felt a Hanley pub would not sell a Burslem ale LOL The Potteries towns rivalries are still alive and well it seems! It was great thread to get involved in.
                            Thank you everyone for your help especially Cliff in NZ who emailed me an enlarged photo of the street sign. Sadly, my eyes couldn’t make it into anything though.
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 29-12-19, 13:47.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I find it so fascinating what can be found out with a bit of clever detective work. Great result

Comment

The first pic is the original poster’s photo showing his grandfather and his great grandparents.
                                The second one is in it’s post pub days and copyright from the Bert Bentley Collection.
                                The third is a composite courtesy of Raymond Brammer showing the original, another post pub shop and what stands there now.

23CB72BF-D326-4A30-ADA5-1A96D9E0A281.jpeg

49EECA34-885A-4EF5-A61F-1C8396E1E239.jpeg

12CE0B21-6309-4CD4-ADDE-6D012FB75302.jpeg
                                Last edited by GallowayLass; 29-12-19, 18:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X