Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing the obvious? Acaster family Goole and Norfolk (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I thought I'd done well on my missing half brother saga last night!!

I kept peeping at Dinah, might be the unusual name but didn't look too closely. It took a while to tie up the GRO and freebmd for the Clark middle name but I think I've got them now so I can concentrate on the earlier stuff.

Thanks ever so much for slogging through this. I appreciate the effort.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Just a thought, if Dinah was born 1822, then she would have been 18 when William was born - perhaps she was his mother rather than older sister. The baptism says otherwise, but it also gives an address of Little Snoring rather than Hindringham and describes 'Ann' as a single woman. I'm very intrigued now as to what the birth certificate says.

Comment

Harriet 1828 is baptised as Robinson d/o Robert Bushell

It's a very mixed up family that's for sure.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
          Harriet 1828 is baptised as Robinson d/o Robert Bushell
          Yes, Robinson is her middle name, per post #15. Thomas also has Robinson as a middle name. I suspect that Dinah 1822, Matthew 1824 & Hannah 1826 are all Robert's children, and that the rest are John Robinson's.

Although I said that William might actually be Dinah's son, I forgot that Robert Jr named him as a brother on his prison record, so maybe not Either way, with the 18-year age gap and by changing his name to her married surname, it seems that William must have looked on her as a mother to some extent. From searching the census & BMD I don't think she had any children of her own.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
            Yes, Robinson is her middle name, per post #15. Thomas also has Robinson as a middle name. I suspect that Dinah 1822, Matthew 1824 & Hannah 1826 are all Robert's children, and that the rest are John Robinson's.

Although I said that William might actually be Dinah's son, I forgot that Robert Jr named him as a brother on his prison record, so maybe not Either way, with the 18-year age gap and by changing his name to her married surname, it seems that William must have looked on her as a mother to some extent. From searching the census & BMD I don't think she had any children of her own.

My mistake, I was misreading the details. Months without really looking a the tree and then a couple of days full of new things, I'm out of practice.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There's a fantastic 1871 census for Matthew b1824 with children named Ann, Hannah and Dinah which seems to add to his story though no birth records for the kids and a wife born in Ireland?

It seems the Bushell children were cast to the wind (often the workhouse), to an extent whereas the Robinson children are easier to trace in census, bmd and criminal records.

As for Ann Cook/Bushell/Robinson who knows, the various name options don't narrow things down much though I do seem to have the answer where the Acaster name became attached to the family.
              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-12-19, 17:00.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I think Dinah may have been born as Sarah Dinah Bushell:

BUSHELL, SARAH DINAH mmn WILLIAMSON GRO Reference: 1865 D Quarter in BRADFORD YORKSHIRE Volume 09B Page 198

Bradford RD would cover Pudsey (I used to drive to Pudsey often for work).

This looks like her marriage, 17 May 1884, Birkdale, Lancashire
                Jesse Edgar 19 Basket Maker Vaughan Road. Father: Roma? Edgar, Basket Maker
                Dinah Bushell 18 Spinster Cemetery Road. Father: Matthew Bushell, Contractor

In the census as Dinah Edgar she gives her PoB as Bradford.

Hannah marries as Annie at St Silas, Liverpool, 9 May 1883:
                John Arthur McGovern f/a Bachelor Servant Devon Street, Father: John Bernard McGovern, Manager
                Annie Bushell 20 spinster, same address. Father: Matthew Bushell, Contractor

In the 1891 census she says she was born Doncaster. By 1901 she is Annie Johnson aged 37, again born Doncaster. Same in 1911, aged 45.

I cant find a birth or baptism for her though.

Comment

The Lancs events might suggest this as a death for Matthew:

Sep 1887 Matthew Bushell age 63, Ormskirk 8b 551

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Yes, that looks a good bet.

The lack of a marriage to Sarah was bugging me, so I've been on the hunt and I think I've found her - I knew I'd seen the Williamson surname before!

In 1861 Matthew & Sarah have a 13-year-old son, Thomas, born Fleetwood, and given the age gap between him & the next child I thought he may be Sarah's from a previous relationship. I’m pretty sure I’ve found him (twice!) in 1851. First as Thomas Johnson aged 4 a visitor at 2 Upper Dock Street, Fleetwood (Fylde RD) with a family from Ireland named Williamson.

Also in the 1851 census, at Back Lane, Kirkham (Fylde RD):
                    Sarah Johnston 26 widow, husband recently drowned, born Armagh
                    Thomas Johnston 3 son b Fleetwood
                    Elizabeth Johnston 10m daur b Fleetwood

In the 1871 census Sarah Bushell is from Armagh & broadly the right age.

JOHNSON, ELIZABETH mmn WILLIAMSON GRO Ref: 1850 J Quarter FYLDE Volume 21 Page 514
                    Baptism 9 Jun 1850, St Peter, Fleetwood. Elizabeth d/o George Johnson, Deceased & Sarah of Fleetwood, Fireman in Princess Alice.

Thomas appears to have been born/baptised as John (!)
                    16 Nov 1847 St Peter, Fleetwood. John s/o George Johnson & Sarah, Fleetwood, Labourer.

I’m still struggling with some of the other Bushell children, but here are two:
                    BUSHELL, ANN mmn WILLIAMSON GRO Reference: 1853 D Quarter in HUNSLET Volume 09B Page 203
                    BUSHEL, WILLIAM ROBERT mmn WILLIAMSON GRO Ref: 1855 S Quarter in HASLINGDEN Volume 08E Page 145
                    Last edited by teasie; 31-12-19, 01:19.

Comment

Nice going and thanks again for looking.

I've managed to chase Hannah/Annie through the census and marriages.

I haven't found Matthew in the '61 yet, familysearch keeps locking up my browser but with the bits you have posted I have a better search option.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Finally, familysearch has Mathew not Matthew, family at Knaresborough.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Of course Hannah/Annie marries a William Johnson...………...I think I know where this is going

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It's a good job I came back to this, I copied the stuff about the crimes and Malta stuff for Thomas and Robert and noticed the edit and mention of a photo with the keyword.

Robert appears to have several tattoos, initials of his siblings, males on one arm, females on the other but there's a extra one "EB" and reference in prison papers to him being married. I think I've got the marriage (1861 to Elizabeth Crisp). There's onlt two Bushell births with Crisp as mmn, one in Wisbech RD 1862 and one in Goole in 1864. Given the locations I'm now under orders to buy the certs to see if he went up to Goole.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

As for Thomas and the stuff in Malta; (though I think the Irish birth bit mentioned in the link is well and truly disproved)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                              X