Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing the obvious? Acaster family Goole and Norfolk (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing the obvious? Acaster family Goole and Norfolk (?)

1891 Census in Goole (from LDS transcription)

William Acaster Head 57 Seaman born Norfolk
    Charles W Acaster son 16 Yorkshire
    Herbert Acaster son 13 Yorkshire
    Annie Acaster wife 57 Norlfolk

1881 Stanley St Goole (from LDS transcription)

William Acaster Head age 39 Mariner Norfolk
    Annie Acaster wife age 40 Little Snoring, Norfolk
    Charles W Acaster age 6 Little Snoring, Norfolk
    Herbert Acaster age 2 Goole, Yorks

1901 William and Annie in Goole, both claim Fakenham as pob, Wm age 63, Annie age 61, after that nothing, no deaths or census

I can't find any bmd records for any of them beyond a marriage (1899) and death (1931) for Herbert or any earlier census for William & Annie.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 27-12-19, 19:14.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

so far all I have found is this ??? could be William Senior

William .
    Last name A.
    Gender Male
    Birth year -
    Birth place -
    Baptism year 1837
    Baptism date 26 May 1837
    Residence Norfolk, England
    Place King's Lynn
    County Norfolk
    Country England
    Father's first name(s) John
    Father's last name A.
    Mother's first name(s) -
    Mother's last name A.
    Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Comment

Could this be him, not sure where the Bushell has come from;
      Name: William Acaster Bushell
      Estimated birth year: abt 1838
      Registration Year: 1906
      Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
      Age at Death: 68
      Registration district: Goole
      Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
      Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
      Volume: 9c
      Page: 556
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Annie?
        Name: Ann Acaster
        Estimated birth year: abt 1841
        Registration Year: 1902
        Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
        Age at Death: 61
        Registration district: Goole
        Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
        Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
        Volume: 9c
        Page: 509
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

The Acaster name is quite common in the area but info is very patchy. This branch seems to be the only one from outside the area though. It's actually my half sisters' line, mum Marjorie, grandfather Stanley, grt g/f Herbert.

The lack of birth records for Herbert and Charles W are stumping me.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

there is a marriage of William Bushell, maybe his mother Acaster?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

1874? To Ann Clarke?

It's interesting there are Acaster children born at Goole who have Clarke as a middle name but it seems odd that William would drop change his surname. Still knowing my lot anything is possible. Probably an entire line all illegitimate and sometimes using the wrong surnames for bmd events.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

yes to Ann Clark:
                Name: William Bushell
                Marriage Date: 28 Jun 1874
                Marriage Place: Little Snoring, Norfolk, England
                Spouse: Ann Clark

so probably right then?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

ON GRO there is a birth in Walsingham that is the area that covers Fakenham
                  BUSHELL, WILLIAM -
                  GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in WALSINGHAM UNION Volume 13 Page 331

No maiden name so maybe Acaster was married after birth.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

I think I'll work back from the Clarke middle name kids and see where they lead.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      ON GRO there is a birth in Walsingham that is the area that covers Fakenham
                      BUSHELL, WILLIAM -
                      GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in WALSINGHAM UNION Volume 13 Page 331

No maiden name so maybe Acaster was married after birth.
                      Baptism 16 Feb 1840, Hindringham, Norfolk
                      William s/o Ann Bushell of Little Snoring, Single Woman

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        yes to Ann Clark:
                        Name: William Bushell
                        Marriage Date: 28 Jun 1874
                        Marriage Place: Little Snoring, Norfolk, England
                        Spouse: Ann Clark

so probably right then?
                        The marriage was 1 July 1874 (28 Jun was the final banns).

These could be the missing births:
                        CLARKE, CHARLES WILLIAM (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1874 J Quarter in WALSINGHAM Volume 04B Page 281
                        BUSHELL, HERBERT ACASTER mmn CLARKE GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in GOOLE Volume 09C Page 749

Comment

It's starting to make sense now, thanks for the details.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I say it's starting to make sense but I don't know now, there are a number of Acaster entries in bmd and census from around the Goole area over a long period but no obvious link to the Bushell family.

It seems (from what I can access) that William Bushell took up the Acaster name after the marriage for some reason. It seems from the births he settled in Goole between 1874-1879, I can see how a seaman would be based at Goole though the name change and new abode seem to happen around the same time. Something must have caused it, the 1879 birth in the Bushell name suddenly has Acaster appear and from that point the census returns are in Acaster. Its's almost as if he was trying to hide who he really was. Confused!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I think this might be him, in 1841 in Hindringham:
                              John Robinson 36
                              Ann Bushel (Buchel on Ancestry)
                              Harriet Robinson 14
                              Robert 8
                              Thomas 4
                              William 2

There is a baptism in Hindringham on 29 May 1836:
                              Thomas Robinson bastard son of Ann Bushell of Hindringham, a married woman

And as mentioned previously:
                              Baptism 16 Feb 1840, Hindringham, Norfolk - William s/o Ann Bushell of Little Snoring, Single Woman

By 1851 John Robinson is with his married daughter, Harriet Platten, & Robert is an Ag Lab in Binham, and this seems to be Thomas & William:
                              Walsingham Union Workhouse, Great Snoring:
                              Thomas Bushell 15 b Hindringham, Norfolk
                              William Bushell 13 b Hindringham, Norfolk

A Thomas Bushell of the right age was charged in Malta in 1857 of offering violence to a superior officer & convicted for life. He was a soldier but was a tailor by trade & seems to have been sent to the convict establishment in Freemantle, Australia in 1858, aboard the Edwin Fox.

NB Harriet married in 1849 as Harriet Bushell. This seems to be her baptism:
                              14 Sep 1828, Hindringham, Harriet Robinson d/o Robert & Ann Bushell of Hindringham, Labourer.
                              ALSO
                              14 Jul 1833, Hindringham, Robert s/o Ann Bushel, Hindringham
                              13 Aug 1826, Hindringham, Hannah d/o Robert & Ann Bushell of Hindringham, Labourer. In 1841 I think she is in the Walsingham Union House, aged 17.

So either Thomas was the son of John Robinson & Ann Bushell, or possibly Ann's grandson (ie the son of Hannah)

Why he would change his name to Acaster I don't know, but it may be worth getting the birth certificate as a starting point.
                              Last edited by teasie; 28-12-19, 17:07.

Comment

So either Thomas was the son of John Robinson & Ann Bushell, or possibly Ann's grandson (ie the son of Hannah)
                                This should say WILLIAM - timed out to amend it.

Comment

Thanks Teasie

I've just added some details to my TP and someone sent me a message, the story goes that the Acaster name came about to enhance the prospects of the children as "there were no coal shovellers or rat catchers, they had big shops"...……...the 1901 & 1911 census suggest coal shovelling is more likely.

CLARKE, CHARLES WILLIAM seems to become Charles Clarke Acaster
                                  BUSHELL, HERBERT ACASTER becomes plain old Herbert Acaster

A delve through the newspapers looks in order now I have a few names to go at. The name just seems to have been plucked out of this air when they arrived in Goole.

I'm confused with the 1901 nd 1911 for Charles Clarke Acaster, the kids seem to be different but I haven't been through the bmd yet.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It seems that Thomas wasnt the only one getting into trouble. Robert had quite a record too, starting in 1852 by the looks of it. In 1868 he broke into a house in Fakenham and brutally assaulted two women who lived there. When he was caught there was a crown waiting with sticks etc. If you have access to FMP, there is a photograph of him in the criminal records. This particular document is several pages long and contains his record inside prison, including assaults on other prisoners & disobeying orders etc at Portland prison, and refusing to work whilst at Wormwood Scrubs. There is also a record of letters received/sent, but it looks like only Harriet and her husband John Platten kept in touch.

Further on in the document are details of his earlier convictions, and in 1857 this mentions his brother, William Bushell in Little Snoring.

Perhaps Robert is the reason that William decided to distance himself from the Bushell name, and from Norfolk?

ADDED: To find the record Im referring to, add PCOM3 to the search (Optional keywords)
                                    Last edited by teasie; 28-12-19, 18:46.

Comment

Wow. I don't have fmp so I would missed that but I do a BNA sub. I've just been through freebmd looking for "+clark" forename entries in the surname of Acaster and found dozens (it looks for the middle name when searching).

A lightbulb moment, somewhere I've seen references to Harriot Acaster (possibly a Harriet?)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Another lightbulb moment....

William Bushell/Acaster lived in Hook, Goole, and searching for other people in Hook from the same area as him turns up Dinah Acaster born c1823, Little Snoring, wife of Robert Acaster.

They married 28 Apr 1851 at St John's Waterloo, Lambeth:
                                        Robert ACASTER, full age, Bachelor, Seaman, Cornwall Road. Father - James Acaster, Seaman
                                        Dinah BUSHELL full age, Spinster, Cornwall Road. Father - Robert Bushell, Labourer

We know from the baptisms that Ann Bushell's husband was Robert Bushell, and there is a marriage in Little Snoring 15 Jul 1821 between Robert Bushell & Ann Cook.

Well it seems that I missed at least one more baptism:
                                        11 Aug 1822, Little Snoring, Norfolk - Diana (sic) d/o Robert Bushell & Ann his wife (late Cook, spinster), Little Snoring, Labourer.
                                        So the Dinah Acaster nee Bushell living in Hook, Goole is the older, half-sister of William Bushell, who later adopted the surname Acaster :D
                                        Last edited by teasie; 28-12-19, 23:45.

Comment

Working...
                                        X