Glasgow Genealogy Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasgow Genealogy Centre

Have booked a place for next Wednesday, has all Scottish records. Anyone what anything looked up?

Oops forgot about help forum.
    Last edited by BEARGER; 14-12-19, 23:24.

I have one for you but will post it tomorrow as just off to bed. Many thanks for the offer.

Comment

Forgot all about this!
      Could you please find and transcribe a death certificate for me as I am having trouble on SP working out which one is my lady?

What I know for certain is that she was born Janet MUIR at Newhousebridge, Durisdeer, Dumfriesshire 16 June 1855, 7th child of William MUIR and Margaret HASTINGS. At Newhouse, Durisdeer, Dumfriesshire 7 April 1891, she married William McCALL, joiner.
      He died 1906. They had one son James William McCALL who died 1970 in Detroit, Michigan, USA. Janet was alive in 1923 living at 10 Polworth Gardens, Hyndland, Glasgow as there is a passenger list for James William emigrating to USA.
      In 1912, James William joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry and his residence was 10 Buckingham Terrace, Ayr, Ayrshire with next of kin as his mother at same address. Buckingham Terrace was a section of Charlotte Street which is no longer named as such and is now 37 Charlotte Street. In 1959, James William arrives in Greenock via Quebec for a 4 months stay. He is on his way to 11 Eglinton Terrace, Ayr, Ayrshire. I have no idea who lived there at the time. The two addresses are 2 mins walk apart according to google maps and are substantial properties.
      I cannot find a death of a Janet McCALL with other surname MUIR in the index and we are fairly sure she did not remarry. Hoping you can find her for me. If you don’t have time for rooting about, that’s no problem, it can go on the back burner.

Comment

Can you cancel that request please, I have just found her via a passenger record. She died at sea on her way to visit her son. Presumably buried at sea which is maybe why there’s no sign of her on a very crowded family gravestone. I had seen that record before but her address had changed, her age was out by 4 years and she gave her relative in UK as none other than a Baronet which previously I had ignored, thinking aye right!! LOL but it turns out her sister married and the nephew was knighted in 1921. Currently we are on the 4th Baronet. Turns out that my cousin who descends from the McCALL family who were not badly off themselves was connected twice to the Baronet. His uncle married a Ferguson girl and that is a direct ancestor of hers on her mother’s side. I am only connected to a daughter of the MCCALL family - my 2x gt. granny. No wonder my mother always used to say there was money in the McCALL family !

Comment

Instead could you please transcribe the following births? All are New Cumnock except the last two which are Kirkconnel. Doesn’t matter if you only have time for couple of them. Anything is brilliant, thank you.
          Children of James FERGUSON and Jane ROY. James 1884, Jane 1885, Sarah Roy 1888, Agnes 1890, Robina 1896 and Andrew Roy 1897

Comment

Hello Bearger,

Thanks for your very kind offer. I would be grateful if you could save images of the following for me, if time permits. If this is possible, I'll PM you my email address.
            I'll start with the straightforward ones, although wouldn't you know, it's the trickier ones at the end that I'd most like to find! I know how time can speed by even when you've set a day aside, so anything you have the time to dig up from the requests below would be much appreciated, but obviously prioritise your own research.

ScotlandsPeople BIRTHS
            1. HILL, WILLIAM JOHN HOEY M 1879 465/ 174 Alloa (Clackmannan)
            2. HILL, LOUISA Female 1881 465/ 10 Alloa (Clackmannan)

3. Censuses - the above 2 and rest of family in the 1881 Scotland census, Cambus, Alloa, Clackmannanshire - household comprising Robert Hill, and wife Margaret, plus children Robert, David J J, Margaret, Frederick, William and Louise (aged 3 months). I only have the transcription of the 1881 Scotland Census for them so again would be grateful for the image.

I am also hoping that you might be able to find 3 children of James Edward Hoey and Marion Inglis. However, as they were illegitimate, their births could be registered as either Hoey or Inglis. I have already found records for 4 of their children together - see below, the detail they all have in common being mother is Marion Inglis, French polisher.

I have absolutely no idea why, but in the 1881 and 1891 Scotland censuses the family go by the name Henderson! As I only have transcriptions, once again I would be grateful for the original images:
            4. 1881 Scotland census. 30 Landressy Street, Glasgow
            James Edward Henderson, "wife", Marion plus children John, James, Jane (aka Jeanie in later records I have for her). They are in the household of Marion's aunt Hannah Cranmer and her husband John Cranmer.
            5. 1891 Scotland census 4 Somerville Street, Old Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire
            Household comprising James Henderson 37 and "wife" Marion, plus children John, James, Jeannie, Elizabeth, Marion
            Also there are James's brothers William and Richard (with their surnames transcribed as Sanderson!) plus Marion's father James Inglis.

Now for the tricky ones! The births I haven't managed to pin down are
            - Jane/Jeanie/Jeannie/Jennie Hoey or Inglis. Born Glasgow area, circa 1877-1879. I have a DOB for her of 3 June 1878 from her USA death record but not sure if it is 100% accurate.
            The next two could possibly be registered in Old Kilpatrick, given the 1891 census address:
            - Robert Hoey or Inglis. Born Glasgow area, circa 1891-1893. He must have been born after the date of the 1891 census as he does not feature in it.
            - William Hoey or Inglis. 1901 Irish census gives his POB as County Down whereas 1911 gives POB as Glasgow. As I can't find a birth for him as Hoey or Inglis anywhere in Ireland, Glasgow could be right. Born circa 1895-1897. Possibly born July 1895 if I habe the correct death for him (as William Wilkinson Hoey in Birkenhead in 1981)
            There are also two further children who were born and died before 1911, presumably in Glasgow, but as I don't have first names, never mind whether they would have been registered as Hoey or Inglis, or possible dates of birth or death, that really would be a needle in a haystack job!

The birth info for the 4 James Hoey/Marion Inglis children I have so far is as follows, just in case it helps in any way:
            John Inglis 14 Mar 1874 • 12 Sister Street, Glasgow Registered as John Inglis, illegitimate. Father's name not recorded. Mother recorded as Marion Inglis, French polisher, who was also the informant, on 7 April 1874.
            James Edward Hoey 13 Jun 1876 • 359 London Road, Glasgow, Scotland Registered as James Edward Hoey, illegitimate. Father recorded as James Hoey, wood sawyer and mother as Marion Inglis, French polisher. Both parents informed the registrar on 5 July 1876.
            Elizabeth Hoey 29 Feb 1884 • 17 West Greenhill Place, Glasgow, Scotland Registered as Elizabeth Hoey, illegitimate. Father recorded as James Hoey, wood sawyer (journeyman) of 359 London Road, Glasgow and mother as Marion Inglis, French polisher. both parents informed the registrar on 19 March 1884.
            Marion Hoey Inglis 23 July 1886 Gladstone Place, Yoker, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Registered as Marion Hoey Inglis, illegitimate. Father is not recorded and mother is Marion Inglis, French polisher who was also the informant on 11 August 1886.

Once again, many thanks for your generous offer.

Christine
            Sent from my iPad
            Last edited by Karamazov; 16-12-19, 19:39.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

GallowayLass, will try my best.

Comment

Hi Karamazov, I’m afraid the use of memory sticks or taking of photos is not permitted. I will try and note the info I have time for. Will probably be returning in the new year also.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
                  Hi Karamazov, I’m afraid the use of memory sticks or taking of photos is not permitted. I will try and note the info I have time for. Will probably be returning in the new year also.
                  Oh, sorry, didn't realise - that's a pity! In that case, as I already have transcriptions of the censuses, anything you can manage to find/transcribe for the 2 Hill births and the 3 Hoey/Inglis births would be greatly appreciated.
                  Thanks again,
                  Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 16-12-19, 22:06.
                  Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Will do.

Comment

If you can get net access to check FTF, could I please have a transcription of the death of Doris Mary TENNANT 2019 Prestwick. Widow of David TENNANT. Her death was in January and when I was up in Edinburgh a wee while ago, there was no image. Hopefully it will be up now.
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-12-19, 12:36.

Comment

Many thanks to BEARGER for finding me such a lot of useful stuff. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X