Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you find Janet?

Hello,

I have a lady called Janet Gibson b. 1884 Knightsbridge on these census' but getting no hints. I have tried searching different spellings and places of birth etc on Ancestry and FMP to no avail.

I'm obviously missing something - any ideas?

Thank you as always!

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-v...&usePUBJs=true

Tessie
    Last edited by tessie31082; 12-11-19, 14:49.

is this her
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Val

Comment

Thanks Val but this says her Dad is George and my one is Robert

Comment

is this her:
        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...363.1543608453

is the Bell in any names?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

here she is married. could be her, as some confusion over her birth place:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...61&usePUB=true

there seems to be another one born in Scotland that people are claiming her in their trees, but can see no supporting evidence either way.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

There appear to be two similar Janets' with a father Robert and mother Ann/Annie. One in England and one in Scotland. In 1891 the father in Scotland is a blacksmith (as per marriage cert) but Tessie's family in 1891 Berkshire has the father born in Scotland but he is also a Farrier in the Royal Horse Guards. Tessie's Annie was Annie Sturgess, but the Scotland one appears to possibly have been Ann Burton. I can understand why people have got confused.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              There appear to be two similar Janets' with a father Robert and mother Ann/Annie. One in England and one in Scotland. In 1891 the father in Scotland is a blacksmith (as per marriage cert) but Tessie's family in 1891 Berkshire has the father born in Scotland but he is also a Farrier in the Royal Horse Guards. Tessie's Annie was Annie Sturgess, but the Scotland one appears to possibly have been Ann Burton. I can understand why people have got confused.
              Can't see Bell in either of the trees, to confirm whether the record is Tessie's Janet, do you think the marriage is Tessie's?

I saw they were both 'blacksmiths' and the 1911 census seems to be unclear of her place of birth as it is crossed out, and was place of birth of child?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Hi ladies - wondering if Bell should be Belle (middle name)? I have no birth for her so no idea if or what her middle name is! This is a good find Carolyn and a big maybe

Comment

On one it looks like Nell, and has been transcribed as that, but not sure that is any help.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

I see there is a probate record for Robert think it is the right one, might hold a clue

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ntPageIsStart=
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

The person he left his money/property to was the husband of his eldest daughter

Janet is still a mystery haha!

Thanks

Comment

Just putting this down so that I don't lose them -

GIBSON, ANNIE MARGARET STURGESS
                        GRO Reference: 1882 M Quarter in WINDSOR Volume 02C Page 457

GIBSON, HARRIET ALICE LOUISE STURGESS
                        GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 28

GIBSON, JANET STURGESS
                        GRO Reference: 1884 M Quarter in STGEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01A Page 512

and -

I think this may be the baptism of the Robert whose probate record Caroline found, as the birth date fits the Robert who is living at 26, Kingsway in 1939. Not sure why John Albert Rasell would be granted the probate though. He didn't appear to marry a Gibson -

Name:
                        Robert Cowie Gibson - Male - Birth Date 26 May 1855 - Birth Place Falkirk,Stirling,Scotland - Father David Gibson - Mother Mary Nimmo - FHL Film Number 6035516

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                          The person he left his money/property to was the husband of his eldest daughter

Janet is still a mystery haha!

Thanks
                          Oh sorry Tessie - I was still posting and hadn't seen this. Where did you find the marriage to his eldest daughter? The only marriage I could find for John Albert Rasell was to a Queenie V Clapson.

Comment

The eldest daughter married a Clapson, but I have a death of 1918, so stopped looking at her. Maybe it is a grandchild?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              Just putting this down so that I don't lose them -

GIBSON, ANNIE MARGARET STURGESS
                              GRO Reference: 1882 M Quarter in WINDSOR Volume 02C Page 457

GIBSON, HARRIET ALICE LOUISE STURGESS
                              GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 28

GIBSON, JANET STURGESS
                              GRO Reference: 1884 M Quarter in STGEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01A Page 512

and -

I think this may be the baptism of the Robert whose probate record Caroline found, as the birth date fits the Robert who is living at 26, Kingsway in 1939. Not sure why John Albert Rasell would be granted the probate though. He didn't appear to marry a Gibson -

Name:
                              Robert Cowie Gibson - Male - Birth Date 26 May 1855 - Birth Place Falkirk,Stirling,Scotland - Father David Gibson - Mother Mary Nimmo - FHL Film Number 6035516
                              the middle chid is not in the census, so assume she died.

I have just looked at the census, the children are on there - including Queenie

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...83&usePUB=true

William E Clapson 37
                              Annie M Clapson 30
                              Willie R Clapson 5
                              Winnie V Clapson 2
                              Lottie C Clapson 2/12

I would assume that means Janet no longer alive in 1940? I think she remarries a William Fox, Have found a marriage record
                              https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...61&usePUB=true
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Wow, thanks so much

Comment

Joseph Sultzman appears to have died in 1918 St George Hanover Square.

Hilda May Sultzman, the daughter of Janet and Joseph Sultzman, appears to have married Archibald F Mildenhall in 1928 and gone out to Australia in 1950 with her husband and daughter and died there (I don't know when as I don't have world access). I wonder if Janet went our and died there?

Comment

Ooh thanks Chrissie - I don't have worldwide either but would explain why I can't find a death I guess!

Comment

I can see on FMP death is 10 Nov 1987, in Victoria, Aus and is a widow.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                      X