Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married twice to same man?

Hello,

Still following my traveller family and came across this - I've not come across it before!

Flora Mooring/Moring married Frederick Green in Henley in 1899 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...22/edit/record

But then there is also this? https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

So were Banns in London but they got married in Henley?

P.s the date on the record transcription is wrong - it says 1900 but the actual record is 1899.

Tessie
    Last edited by tessie31082; 17-10-19, 14:29.

Sorry, I can't open your links.
    If the marriage parties resided in different parishes, then the banns had to be published in both, although the marriage itself would only be recorded in the parish register of the church where it took place. Are both records you refer to banns records, one banns and one parish register, or something else?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay,

Thanks!

Tessie

Comment

I have managed to view the second record you refer to - banns register, both parties of different parishes and therefore banns would have had to have been published (read) in each parish church. Note the dates of banns readings - December 1899, so it is quite possible that the marriage took place in 1900!

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-10-19, 15:30.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Is this the marriage which took place on Dec 25th 1899 at Rotherfield Peppard, Oxfordshire?

The marriage took place in Henley REGISTRATION DISTRICT, rather than in the town of Henley on Thames itself.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes, these two records seem entirely normal. The groom from the London parish and the bride from Oxfordshire. When the banns for any marriage are read, they are done in both parishes, even today.
            Anne

Comment

Thanks everyone - they were probably married in Peppard/Rotherfield Peppard/Kidmore End - Henley reg

Comment

Working...
              X