Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obituary look up please

Hello,

Ancestry has given me a hint for an obituary but I don't have the subscription for newspapers. Would any mind taking a look for me please?

It's for Thomas Wilcox d.1930, Henley/Shiplake and buried at Rotherfield Peppard.

Thank you in advance.

Tessie

I am not finding this at all. What exactly does the hint say?

Comment

There are over 20 trees with this man in them, some of them private. I have checked all the public ones which have records attached and also their galleries and there is no obituary in any of them. Plenty have the entry from the burial register but that is not a newspaper reference. I tried him in FMP newspapers too but drilling down, there is no match for his name and year of death which also has Shiplake or Henley or Oxfordshire. Am stumped.

Comment

Thank you for checking! Maybe the Ancestry hint is a wrong one. I did also look at some of the other trees to see if they had it. Tessie

Comment

Tessie

If you can find where you have the link then post that on here [a hyperlink] [ie copy and paste the address from your address bar onto this page] then I can try and check it for you. :smilee:
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

if it is giving you a hint and you can't see it, then it must mean your membership doesn't cover it. I think that would be www.Newspapers.com I don't have access either and remember seeing something like that.

I have had a search directly on the site as it gives snippets and can't see anything likely. They do seem to have a lot of the 'big' papers rather than local. I decided on mine - it was a way out hint, wondering now whether it was because someone had it in their tree.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              Tessie

If you can find where you have the link then post that on here [a hyperlink] [ie copy and paste the address from your address bar onto this page] then I can try and check it for you. :smilee:
              Darksecretz this is the Ancestry link (I hope) - I'm sure it's a wrong hint but was worth a check

Tessie

Comment

You need to open up the hint Tessie and then copy and paste the address here. The link you gave takes you to your Thomas Wilcox page.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-10-19, 10:06.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat, I can't as when I open it, it just takes me to the 'you don't have the right subscription' page!?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/join?sub=2550866976735232&dbid=61843&url=https%3a% 2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26dbid%3d61843%26h%3d318 933489%26tid%3d158924312%26pid%3d262083589145%26hi d%3d1013850322995%26usePUB%3dtrue%26_phsrc%3dzDq47 %26_phstart%3ddefault%26usePUBJs%3dtrue%26requr%3d 2550866976735232%26ur%3d17179869184&gsfn=&gsln=&h= 318933489
                  Last edited by tessie31082; 13-10-19, 10:20. Reason: Added link

Comment

Tessie, I take that the Wilcox / Snozwell tree takes that the link you posted in #7 is your tree? The link contains the word rejected. Can you please go in to your ignored hints file and resurrect that hint and then post again. Don’t know if it will help but it might.

Comment

If the hint re the newspaper report is there just post the link to the whole page. Don't open it again.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any obituary for your Thomas Wilcox. There is however one for a Thomas Wilcox, b 1858, d 1930 in California USA, in Newspapers.com. This could be the hint that you saw on Ancestry. This is the link to that one:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...off=&ml_rpos=1
                        Last edited by ozgirl; 13-10-19, 12:49.
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you. I didn't think it would be mine but wanted to have it checked before I definitely dismissed it

Comment

Ahh I see you eventually got it sorted Tessie. I was having a few computer/signal issues :emb:
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                            X