Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was Emily?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    I even tried looking last night for "unnamed female" child. Nada!

    It was before 1874/5 ...... do you think they just forgot to register her??
    My parents at my brother's wedding, March 1952

    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

    Comment


      #22
      Emily Adams Marriage Cert.April 1883
      Emily Adams and Gray.jpg
      Emily Adams
      William Gray
      19 Apr 1883
      Queensland
      Queensland
      1883
      001143
      35
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-10-19, 00:09.
      Kat
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother, Cassandra Elizabeth Palmer 1861 to 1940

      Comment


        #23
        Adams
        Emily
        28
        Earl Granville 1883
        Maryborough, Queensland Australia Immigrants from the British Isles & Germany 1861-91

        Edit: I think Emma and Emily are the same person.
        Ditto Caroline and Catherine

        Cannot see Little Emily anywhere either. Perhaps not registered - one of the sister's child maybe???
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-10-19, 00:18.
        Kat
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother, Cassandra Elizabeth Palmer 1861 to 1940

        Comment


          #24
          Sorry missed your posts Thomas...
          But ditto Edwin and Edward! same person? They certainly muddled up their children!
          Kat
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother, Cassandra Elizabeth Palmer 1861 to 1940

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
            I've had a look at that marriage and was unsure - will take another look. Thanks so much
            This Emily married again after George Huberts Haynes death - 4 Aug 1912 at Emmanuel Church, Camberwell, to Henry Grist a 60 year old widower. She again named her father as William Adams, labourer, but unfortunately the marriage record doesn't give an address for her. Witnesses A Grist & Annie Johnson.

            Comment


              #26
              Thomas have you traced each of the children and it is just Emily b1869 that you have been unable to 'complete'? I did start looking around before bed but decided you probably had a lot of details on each?
              Leah Adams 1844–1893 - following the married name of Martin posted by Elaine it looks like she was living in as a servant even though she was married on 2 census?
              Edward Adams 1849–1888
              Sarah Adams 1849–
              Thomas Adams 1853–
              Emma Emily Adams 1855– Married in Aus and cert posted on a tree in Ancestry
              Frederick Adams 1857– Married and had many many children including an Emily but much later
              William Adams 1859–
              Amelia Adams 1861–
              Stephen Adams 1866– went to Aus?
              Emily Adams 1869–

              Even though they seem to be changing names I can't see that they would have 2 children with identical names, although first Emily had moved!

              Teasies marriage
              "Is she the Emily Adams aged 27, father William, a Labourer, who married George Hubert Haynes in 1896?" does make her birth 1869 so the Emily's in 1864 and 1867 woudn't match.

              Did Dimmock mean anything to you, is this an Emily already discovered?

              There is a big tree on ancestry, can see some duplicates....
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

              Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by teasie View Post
                This Emily married again after George Huberts Haynes death - 4 Aug 1912 at Emmanuel Church, Camberwell, to Henry Grist a 60 year old widower. She again named her father as William Adams, labourer, but unfortunately the marriage record doesn't give an address for her. Witnesses A Grist & Annie Johnson.
                did you find her on the census?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

                Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                Comment


                  #28
                  In 1901 I think she might be the Emily Haines in Olney Street, Newington, aged 32 & born Slough. She is married to a George H Haines, 30, Painter & Paper Hanger, but there are two children who pre-date the marriage: Annie 13 b Greenwich & Minnie 12 b Walworth. The marriage said they were bachelor & spinster, so I don't know who the daughters belong to.

                  In 1911 there is an Emily Haynes, widow, aged 40 born Slough living at Herne Hill in the home of Edward Webster, along with a son (of who?) named Edward Everitt (?) aged 4 born Camberwell.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    Thomas have you traced each of the children and it is just Emily b1869 that you have been unable to 'complete'? I did start looking around before bed but decided you probably had a lot of details on each?
                    Leah Adams 1844–1893 - following the married name of Martin posted by Elaine it looks like she was living in as a servant even though she was married on 2 census?
                    Edward Adams 1849–1888
                    Sarah Adams 1849–
                    Thomas Adams 1853–
                    Emma Emily Adams 1855– Married in Aus and cert posted on a tree in Ancestry
                    Frederick Adams 1857– Married and had many many children including an Emily but much later
                    William Adams 1859–
                    Amelia Adams 1861–
                    Stephen Adams 1866– went to Aus?
                    Emily Adams 1869–

                    Even though they seem to be changing names I can't see that they would have 2 children with identical names, although first Emily had moved!

                    Teasies marriage
                    "Is she the Emily Adams aged 27, father William, a Labourer, who married George Hubert Haynes in 1896?" does make her birth 1869 so the Emily's in 1864 and 1867 woudn't match.

                    Did Dimmock mean anything to you, is this an Emily already discovered?

                    There is a big tree on ancestry, can see some duplicates....
                    Hi Carolyn

                    Thanks so much for all your help.

                    These are all the children of William and Caroline's marriage that I know about and what I think happened to them :

                    William Thomas born 1841 died 1842
                    Leah born 1843 - married James Martin - died 1893
                    Alfred born 1846 died 1846
                    Edwin/Edward born 1847 - married Ann Marie Jenner - died 1888
                    Caroline/Catherine born 1849 - married Benjamin Druce - died 1934
                    Thomas born 1852 - can't find him on the GRO indexes under his mother's maiden name of Chambers, but his birth seems to have been registered in Islington - emigrated to Qld
                    Emily/Emma - born 1854 - registered as Emily at birth - emigrated to Qld - married William Gray
                    Frederick born 1857 - married Mary Neighbour - died 1933
                    William born 1859 - married Alice Cobb in 1882 - sister Emily Adams was a witness - died 1894
                    Amelia born 1862 - emigrated to Qld
                    Sarah Ann born 1864 died 1864
                    Stephen born 1866 - emigrated to Qld
                    Samuel born 1867 died 1868
                    and then "William/Emily" in 1869 who is the one I am having such trouble working out.

                    I can't see them having two children with the same name either and the William in 1869 must be an error of some kind.

                    Off to have a look at Emily Dimmock - thanks again
                    Last edited by thomasalbertedward; 10-10-19, 12:14.

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      Sorry missed your posts Thomas...
                      But ditto Edwin and Edward! same person? They certainly muddled up their children!
                      yes, Edwin/Edward, Caroline/Catherine and Emily/Emma, all the same people.

                      Not to mention William/Emily born in 1869.

                      They certainly weren't thinking of future researchers when they did the muddling

                      Comment


                        #31
                        Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        Emily Adams Marriage Cert.April 1883
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20295[/ATTACH]
                        Emily Adams
                        William Gray
                        19 Apr 1883
                        Queensland
                        Queensland
                        1883
                        001143
                        35
                        She was feisty enough to divorce him and sue for custody of their children on the grounds of cruelty and desertion - when divorce was exceedingly rare.

                        Comment


                          #32
                          I would not totally discount two children, both alive, with the same forename. I have come across this in hubby’s family. Granted, they came from Isle of Skye where odd things were normal LOL
                          There were two Norman McLeod to same parents. The elder became a police officer, married in Glasgow and moved to Rochdale where he died on duty. His wife came back to Scotland with the youngest son (another Norman who has gone AWOL on me after 1901) and remarried. The younger was a plumber, married, had family and died in Glasgow.
                          Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-10-19, 12:41.

                          Comment


                            #33
                            Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                            I would not totally discount two children, both alive, with the same forename. I have come across this in hubby’s family. Granted, they came from Isle of Skye where odd things were normal LOL
                            There were two Norman McLeod to same parents. The elder became a police officer, married in Glasgow and moved to Rochdale where he died on duty. His wife came back to Scotland with the youngest son (another Norman who has gone AWOL on me after 1901) and remarried. The younger was a plumber, married, had family and died in Glasgow.
                            Talking to someone at our local family history association today - their grandfather was a William and he had a brother called William Seth. Apparently their father was drunk both times when he went to register their births at our local court house.

                            Comment


                              #34
                              Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
                              Talking to someone at our local family history association today - their grandfather was a William and he had a brother called William Seth. Apparently their father was drunk both times when he went to register their births at our local court house.
                              love that!
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

                              Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                              Comment


                                #35
                                Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                In 1901 I think she might be the Emily Haines in Olney Street, Newington, aged 32 & born Slough. She is married to a George H Haines, 30, Painter & Paper Hanger, but there are two children who pre-date the marriage: Annie 13 b Greenwich & Minnie 12 b Walworth. The marriage said they were bachelor & spinster, so I don't know who the daughters belong to.

                                In 1911 there is an Emily Haynes, widow, aged 40 born Slough living at Herne Hill in the home of Edward Webster, along with a son (of who?) named Edward Everitt (?) aged 4 born Camberwell.
                                Heston not far from Slough, but I would have thought far enough to not put Slough, unless of course she was, the wider Adams family are from west of Heston.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

                                Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                Comment


                                  #36
                                  Is this William? went into the army and out very quickly,

                                  brothers

                                  Frederick no. 3 near Lampton near Hounslow
                                  Edward Shepherds Bush London..... in margin
                                  father William ? Ordnance Road

                                  https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...F1763%2F383005

                                  First name(s) William
                                  Last name Adams
                                  Birth year 1861
                                  Birth parish Spring Grove
                                  Birth town Hounslow
                                  Birth county Middlesex
                                  Birth country England
                                  Service number 5067
                                  Regiment Royal Artillery
                                  Year 1880
                                  Attestation date 24 Sep 1880
                                  Attestation age years 19
                                  Attestation age months 6
                                  Attestation service number 5067
                                  Attestation corps Royal Artillery

                                  Signed by his mark, if I remember right he signed the marriage register...ancestry keeps timing out at the mo.
                                  Elaine

                                  Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

                                  http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

                                  Comment


                                    #37
                                    Back in! He did sign the register but occupation brick maker matches
                                    Elaine

                                    Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

                                    http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

                                    Comment


                                      #38
                                      Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                      Is this William? went into the army and out very quickly,

                                      brothers

                                      Frederick no. 3 near Lampton near Hounslow
                                      Edward Shepherds Bush London..... in margin
                                      father William ? Ordnance Road

                                      https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...F1763%2F383005

                                      First name(s) William
                                      Last name Adams
                                      Birth year 1861
                                      Birth parish Spring Grove
                                      Birth town Hounslow
                                      Birth county Middlesex
                                      Birth country England
                                      Service number 5067
                                      Regiment Royal Artillery
                                      Year 1880
                                      Attestation date 24 Sep 1880
                                      Attestation age years 19
                                      Attestation age months 6
                                      Attestation service number 5067
                                      Attestation corps Royal Artillery

                                      Signed by his mark, if I remember right he signed the marriage register...ancestry keeps timing out at the mo.
                                      I see ancestry has a banner up saying problems again.

                                      Have not clicked through, so Father at Ordnance Rd? in 1880 - so might be able to find road on 1881 census.

                                      need to sleep now, but can see someone living in the road in 1881 with following ref:
                                      Parish Isleworth
                                      County Middlesex
                                      Country England
                                      Registration district Brentford
                                      Archive reference RG11
                                      Piece number 1337
                                      Folio 131
                                      Page 28
                                      Record set 1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

                                      Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                      Comment


                                        #39
                                        Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                        Back in! He did sign the register but occupation brick maker matches
                                        Thanks Elaine, great find

                                        Comment


                                          #40
                                          Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                          I see ancestry has a banner up saying problems again.

                                          Have not clicked through, so Father at Ordnance Rd? in 1880 - so might be able to find road on 1881 census.

                                          need to sleep now, but can see someone living in the road in 1881 with following ref:
                                          Parish Isleworth
                                          County Middlesex
                                          Country England
                                          Registration district Brentford
                                          Archive reference RG11
                                          Piece number 1337
                                          Folio 131
                                          Page 28
                                          Record set 1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                                          Thank you Carolyn, off to take a look now, both ancestry and the GRO indexes were having problems here last night.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X