1939 lookup request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 lookup request

Would some kind soul with access to the Register please look up an address. On a 1934 birth certificate it says 41 College St., York Rd, North Lambeth. This street no longer exists. Most of it is now Jubilee Gardens and the rest is post war development.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

FMP address search is not coming up with College anything in Lambeth. Numerous for York Road though. Can you pm the names of the people you think should be in that house?

Comment

Thanks for trying. The people on the birth certificate were not there in 1939, and I have no idea who was. I really want to know what sort of household it was, in particular did they have servant(s), in relation to getting any clue about a paternity issue. Possibly College Street was demolished sometime between 1934 and 1939 and not during the Blitz as I had thought. Can you see who was living in 41 York Road, although it seems unlikely that this is the same address.

Comment

Hold on two ticks

Comment

There’s no number 41. Quite a few odd numbers missing. Have been through all 19 pages in that section but don’t see it, even in the last couple pages where extras often appear. Lots of redacted entries and in 44 and 42 and around there are a lot of surnames that look Jewish / German? in origin.

Comment

Thanks again. It's a puzzle. If you can manage a bit more can you try this address in 1911?
            Last edited by webwiz; 04-10-19, 13:50.

Comment

This is closest I could get. 1937 electoral register for North Lambeth, Marsh Ward, College Street

C3F04F3E-9B05-47BB-82D4-F9D8A61FC082.jpg

Comment

The Bryants had been there since 1934.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-10-19, 14:12.

Comment

In 1939 the Bryants had moved to 24 Shalford House, Law Street, Southwark, London, England

Comment

I am not sure if I have solved this or not but most of the neighbours in that 1937 electoral register are still neighbours on the 1939 Register but not at College Street. Those still there are in the right order house-wise but the addresses are Jenkins Street, York Road not College Street!
                    The occupants of no.41 were Vittorio Fiorita born 21 May 1891, permanently disabled and Lawrence V Fiorita born 24 January 1924, messenger. As they are not redacted, they are both deceased.
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-10-19, 14:29.

Comment

This snippet is fascinating. It’s a reply to a query on london-se1.co.uk. Where the poster writes Jennings, I think he must have meant Jenkins. There’s more info there plus other stuff on google and plenty photos of the College Street.

“Friday 17 September 2010 2.41pm
                      Glad your interested, College st was obviously one of the oldest streets in that area. I have a photo looking down from Belvedere road taken in 1937,and the buildings were the same as the 1898 photo's. by this time, vine st leading up to York rd, was also called College st, and at sometime before the war the whole st was changed to Jennings st.“

Going by that, the renaming must have happened between 1937 and 1939
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-10-19, 14:37.

Comment

This is what the street looked like in 1930. From british-history.ac.uk In another view, the text adds “This area was extensively damaged in World War II and redeveloped for the Festival of Britain in 1951, which was followed by the South Bank Development. College Street has since been replaced by Jubilee Gardens.”

AF9E3469-2995-457F-8205-9074F6DEA6AC.jpg
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-10-19, 14:51.

Comment

That's great work GallowayLass. Thanks so much.

Comment

You’re welcome. I have just noticed that I missed your 1911 request. Will look now.

Comment

No entry for no.41, sorry

Comment

Was there anyone else listed at 41 College St in the 1934 ER? Although the woman in the birth cert. was only 18 and so would not have been on it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                                  Was there anyone else listed at 41 College St in the 1934 ER? Although the woman in the birth cert. was only 18 and so would not have been on it anyway.
                                  Third person Alfred Wells

Comment

You have been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                    X