This might interest you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This might interest you

A chat I had earlier today with a helpline staff member from that other big company that is not ancestry. Trying not to mention its name to save this being picked up by them on the internet. The saving on offer was substantial.

_____: Help, I have just received the XXXXXX email offer. Have done as instructed and turned off auto renew. However I cannot see a way to view the subscribe page as I still have X days of the current subscription to run.

I would like to use the offer but I do not want to let my sub run out and lose all the previously viewed records.

_____ Support: Welcome to _____. A member of our Support team will be with you very shortly

*** _____: joined the chat ***

_____: Hi, you are through to _____: ,let me see if I can help you :-)

_____: you will need to wait until your subscription has ended before signing up with that discount again, this is why we advise to turn off the auto renewal.

_____: But if I let it run out, even by a few minutes/hours, I will lose all the previously viewed records.

_____: no the records will still be attached to your account so as long as the account is open even without a subscription the records and your tree will still be there until you subscribe again.

_____: That is what is implied in the warning about what will happen if you turn off auto renew. Also last year, we all got the same warning when the site policy changed as previously this had never been an issue. No wonder folks get confused.

_____: let me double check this but that is not what i thought.

_____: I have checked this for you and you will not lose your records of tree as you can only use the code after your subscription has ended. I'm really sorry about the wording in the email.

_____: ok that’s fine. Can I renew using the offer at .co.uk or will it work only at .com ?

_____: let me see for you.

_____: no this will only work on the .com site.

_____: ok. Is there any offer of a similar equivalent price at .co.uk that can be used to buy a new subscription today so it just runs on from the end of the old one like we used to be able to do. This question never got answered.

_____: as you are on the British and Irish plan you will be able to co.uk and look up records there as I have just teasted this for you :-0

_____: you will ses in my records B,A that was the test on the co.uk site. No idea what was meant by these two posts

_____: Thanks. I am aware I can login and search at any variation of the site. I think I will just leave this until 27th and hope the process in the email works as it should.

_____: it will do :-)

_____: Is there anything else I can help you with at the moment?

_____: No thank you

_____: you have a great day :-)

_____: Can I have a transcription of this chat sent to my email please?

_____: you will see a export button at the bottom of the chat, if you click this it will download to your computer.

_____: did you get this?

_____: No I don’t see it what does it look like?

_____: let me see as am not sure on what it looks like.

_____: if you click options and then email transcript
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 24-09-19, 18:52.

Have just renewed using the offer and the discount was substantial. I have not lost any previously viewed records. Happy camper.

Comment

A couple of years ago I wanted to do the same thing only, being outside the UK, I used email. Response was quick and they were really helpful - very good customer service, at least for me.
      Jenny

Comment

maybe I will be lucky enough to get an offer then, as fancy joining, but just can't justify the cost!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass. My FMP sub expired years ago and I renewed using those £1 for 1 month offers they had a few years ago. But they've always been too expensive for me to have as well as Ancestry. After your message I checked my account and the sub had changed and showed the discount: Pro, 12 months at £6.67 (instead of £13) Billed as a single payment of £80. It said it was available until 4th Oct.

I waited until today (pay day) and tried again. It's gone up to full price! I tried phoning them - at 10.30am - and they have their answerphone on saying that they are closed.
          :D Charney Jo

Comment

My offer was only valid for three days after my sub expiry date. I renewed the day after expiry. Presumably anyone who gets the same email that I got will be very close to their expiry date.
            Even if no offers arrive, they are meant to automatically give a 15% discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
              Thanks GallowayLass. My FMP sub expired years ago and I renewed using those £1 for 1 month offers they had a few years ago. But they've always been too expensive for me to have as well as Ancestry. After your message I checked my account and the sub had changed and showed the discount: Pro, 12 months at £6.67 (instead of £13) Billed as a single payment of £80. It said it was available until 4th Oct.

I waited until today (pay day) and tried again. It's gone up to full price! I tried phoning them - at 10.30am - and they have their answerphone on saying that they are closed.
              My subscription ran out in August. I've also received an email with the £80 offer (available to Oct 6) but got an error message when trying to subscribe. If you can't reach them by phone, I've always found them very responsive to email.
              Jenny

Comment

Jenny, did you try logging out of the .ca version and try the USA .com one? I’m in UK but the offer would only work at .com

Comment

Thanks GL. I never log into the Canadian version (didn't know there was one) and the link sends me directly to my account page. I think it's a glitch in the system as the message tells me to go back and pick my subscription choice, but that doesn't work. Anyway, I'm happy to email them if I need to.
                  Jenny

Comment

I tweeted and emailed them in the end as their UK phone lines were down! I explained I had the offer, but then didn't and they asked me to change my account settings to accept offers. I did that and they sent me a link to the offer.

I hope you get/got sorted Jenny.
                    :D Charney Jo

Comment

Working...
                    X