No announcement yet.

Grace Hendy Lugg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just guesswork as most of my family didn't have headstones but could it have been added at a later date to her death?
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      his will is on ancestry, he left everything to his brother samuel handy lugg.
      Thank you - had just been to the library to check it out - so no joy there, he hadn't found gold either, just a blacksmith there
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        This is just guesswork as most of my family didn't have headstones but could it have been added at a later date to her death?
        sorry not sure what you are referring? Her name on the gravestone?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I know but just wondered if a rich member of the family put the headstone on quite a long time after her death and burial.

She did leave some money in a will so perhaps there was more and she arranged for the headstone before she died.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
            I know but just wondered if a rich member of the family put the headstone on quite a long time after her death and burial.

She did leave some money in a will so perhaps there was more and she arranged for the headstone before she died.
            Yes that could be a possibility too, I will see what the will brings, it says available on 9 August....seems so far away.

A previous generation relative did lots of family tree work, and he wrote some info that has been handed onto me in recent years, and he states in the writing 'as one enters the churchyard the imposing memorial of Grace Hendy Lugg can be seen' - and that is it, he says no more about her apart from how she links to the tree. It certainly is imposing - there are no others like it from what I can remember. The only other large one has many names including those that died in Australia.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Bit of a wild one. I wonder if Grace was a beneficiary in the Will of Joseph Fenn Snr. She appeared to be a Cook in the household of Joseph Fenn Snr in 1871 although attached to somebody's mother in law?
              Joseph Fenn Snr died 1875.
              Grace was living on her own means from 1881. Her grave monument is similar to that of Joseph Fenn Snr

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 27-07-19, 04:15.

Comment

Or maybe Sarah Williams in the 1871 census for whom Grace was a Cook. She died in 1871 leaving a Will of under £18,000

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 27-07-19, 05:11.

Comment

My great great aunt never married. She was a cook too. She never had her own home and lived with various relatives at the end of her life. She left a surprising amount of money in her will and the only bit I can a count for was a legacy of £300 her own father left her. Perhaps various employers left her money, perhaps she was frugal and a clever investor, I can't find out. Perhaps you have a similar scenario?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    Bit of a wild one. I wonder if Grace was a beneficiary in the Will of Joseph Fenn Snr. She appeared to be a Cook in the household of Joseph Fenn Snr in 1871 although attached to somebody's mother in law?
                    Joseph Fenn Snr died 1875.
                    Grace was living on her own means from 1881. Her grave monument is similar to that of Joseph Fenn Snr

Vera
                    Or maybe Sarah Williams in the 1871 census for whom Grace was a Cook. She died in 1871 leaving a Will of under £18,000

Vera
                    thanks Vera, I will look into both, it must be something like that. Enough money to buy a property but instead lodged with everyone else!

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    My great great aunt never married. She was a cook too. She never had her own home and lived with various relatives at the end of her life. She left a surprising amount of money in her will and the only bit I can a count for was a legacy of £300 her own father left her. Perhaps various employers left her money, perhaps she was frugal and a clever investor, I can't find out. Perhaps you have a similar scenario?

OC
                    It does seem the same, perhaps wills might solve the mystery. She may have had a bit from many sources like someone else mentioned - everyone spoilt the maiden aunt.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I've just come on here to let you know that whilst checking through the recent wills I have purchased of fairly affluent twigs on my tree (from £30,000 - £90,000 from 1889-1954) in each there have been bequests to various staff members from £50-£500. Where that member of staff has continued to work for the next family they have benefited twice. I thought I would just let you know that it did happen.
                      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

very interesting thank you, maybe I need to look at her employers, I am still waiting for my will, overdue so hopefully it will be here soon.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

my will has finally arrived, and tells me very little. Interestingly she had stocks in the pacific Canadian railway and the grand trunk railway company of Canada. She left everything to her elder sisters children.

I will go back through this thread and see if I can find some wills to order.

she said that she wanted a head stone over her grave, so guess they took her at her word!

I have added the will to the gallery on ancestry.
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-10-19, 23:47.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Ordered the will of Fenn - which has finally come...and that is not really a will, just a letter, I had assumed as it said probate and not administration it would have more info :(

. COW328894g.pdf

so looks like the mystery of her money will be unsolved.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Hum. I am reading it not as admon but as executors according to a codicil in the will. I don't think you have been sent a copy of the will. All my admons are clearly described as admons because the deceased died intestate.

Opinions, anyone?

OC

Comment

this is the second one I have had like this, I thought if it said 'probate' and not 'administration' there would be something more :(
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

They've got it wrong, I've just checked the register on Ancestry where it quite clearly says the will was proved. What they have sent you is the grant of probate NOT an Administration and neglected to attach the will.

Comment

Vera
                                    I think I will have a go at ordering this one.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                      They've got it wrong, I've just checked the register on Ancestry where it quite clearly says the will was proved. What they have sent you is the grant of probate NOT an Administration and neglected to attach the will.
                                      Thank you ladies, this is the second like that, I guess I will start a conversation with them, will wait till I order the next.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I think its wrong too (just to add my two penny worth). It clearly says at the top the WILL was proved. When I've had wills in the past they come with this sheet as well as the will itself.
                                        Anne

Comment

I have sent a message, will let you know how I get on.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X