Grace Hendy Lugg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grace Hendy Lugg

This lady is my gr great grandfathers sister, and she is living with my gr grandfather in 1891 and living under her own means. She has an enormous grave in Gunwalloe, Cornwall and it has always been a mystery to me why! She never married, and is a lady's maid in the 1881 census, details below. was maybe hoping that this might give me a clue why she had so much money, but can't find anything about this couple. Not really sure how to find out, I feel she must have an interesting story to tell.

Name: W.H.E. Ellis
    Estimated birth year: abt 1846
    Relationship to Head: Head
    Spouse: Elizabeth Ellis
    Where born: Jersey, Channel Islands
    Civil Parish: Kensington
    County/Island: London
    Street address: 6 Kensington Crescent
    Marital status: Married
    Education:

Employment status:

View image
    Registration district: Kensington
    Sub registration district: Kensington Town
    ED, institution, or vessel: 8
    Piece: 24
    Folio: 44
    Page Number: 2

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

This was my first hit on an internet search.

So there should be a will out there somewhere
    Last edited by bubblebelle; 25-07-19, 18:25.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Not having much luck.

Found William Henry Ellis born 1846 in St Helliers to James and Mary. Also on 1841 and 1851 census in Jersey.

On your family tree page is the photo by her name her headstone if so is she the only person namesd? Also who is Thomas George Gentleman who she named in her will. Would he have paid for the headstone?

I see Bubblebelle has found that he was deceased so don't know if it will help
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        Not having much luck.

Found William Henry Ellis born 1846 in St Helliers to James and Mary. Also on 1841 and 1851 census in Jersey.

On your family tree page is the photo by her name her headstone if so is she the only person namesd? Also who is Thomas George Gentleman who she named in her will. Would he have paid for the headstone?

Ooops no That's Grace's will Sorry.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

In the Cornishman Newspaper 20 Aug 1914. Both Grace and Thomas George

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
          Lin

Comment

I note in 1911 Grace is living next door to her widowed sister Mary Hendy Cornish. On Grace's census she has recorded that she is living on her own 'limited' means.

Mary Hendy Cornish is buried on 10/2/1914, her probate record shows she left £160 5sh. Probate was granted to John Rowe and Hedley Thomas. I wonder if any of this money made it's way to Grace. Probate was granted to John Rowe and Hedley Thomas. I wonder if it is worth persuing other family members deaths/probate to see if more money may have been accrued.

I wonder if in 1901 she is the 'Aunt' staying/living with the Hockaday family.

All these surnames are certainly setting me reminiscing about people from my 'nursing' days.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
              This was my first hit on an internet search.

So there should be a will out there somewhere
              I have just ordered her will, but am assuming it won't tell me much about why she had money, just who she gave it to! We have had a number of wills and various people seem to get the 'money' rather than sharing it around. My Mum always missed out.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Not having much luck.

Thomas George is her cousin if you have ancestry this is him. He had a drapers shop in London, and I did disappear down that rabbit hole - as it seems to be a lovely shop, but getting quite 'distant' from me

Again that seems odd as she lived with other family members
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                  I note in 1911 Grace is living next door to her widowed sister Mary Hendy Cornish. On Grace's census she has recorded that she is living on her own 'limited' means.

Mary Hendy Cornish is buried on 10/2/1914, her probate record shows she left £160 5sh. Probate was granted to John Rowe and Hedley Thomas. I wonder if any of this money made it's way to Grace. Probate was granted to John Rowe and Hedley Thomas. I wonder if it is worth persuing other family members deaths/probate to see if more money may have been accrued.

I wonder if in 1901 she is the 'Aunt' staying/living with the Hockaday family.

All these surnames are certainly setting me reminiscing about people from my 'nursing' days.
                  yes that is her - Grace Caddy Lugg (Hockaday) her niece - maybe I need to get that will.

all in Gunwalloe, and all at the church there, (the one they seem to use in Doc Martin).

The three cottages my aunt actually bought one when my nan died with the money - she had no idea until she started the process that my gr grandfather had been the builder or owner i can't quite remember which and she seems to have forgotten now! I found newspaper clippings - but not who the owners were.

Cornishman - Wednesday 24 March 1920 gunwalloe properties for sale.JPG

Cornishman - Wednesday 31 March 1920 houses in gunwalloe sale.png

Cassimer is next door - he was brought up as brother to what turned out to be his mother.
                  Attached Files
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

In the Cornishman Newspaper 20 Aug 1914. Both Grace and Thomas George

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...20hendy%20lugg
                    I don't have FMP - but think I may have that - is it probate/death announcement?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Not having much luck.

She is the only one on the headstone - I have taken a picture of both sides, - and she is that important she is on both! it is the biggest one in the church.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

sorry Thomas George is her Nephew, my gr grandfathers cousin.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Not having much luck.

- thank you for the names, I have now found him in 1871, and he is lodging and a painter, I can't think he can be the key to the fortune!
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

there are a few that went to Australia...maybe one of those were her 'donor' looks like a trip to the library.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

have managed to fill gaps on census, and that gives me no clue, she must have inherited.

I am pinning my hopes on Edward Lugg:

BIRTH 1821 • Cornwall
                              DEATH 1889 • Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I had a feeling it wasn't the Ellis family, most people then were still very formal when it came to things like will etc.

Far more likely to be family. With her being single she perhaps got a bit 'spoilt' with a bit of money left in a few wills.

Luckily will are now only £1.50 so we don't feel so guilty about buying a few.

Hope you solve it all.
                                Lin

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  I have just ordered her will, but am assuming it won't tell me much about why she had money, just who she gave it to! We have had a number of wills and various people seem to get the 'money' rather than sharing it around. My Mum always missed out.
                                  There just might be a clue if there are named people who you weren't expecting. Although only £10 my G.Grandmother left this to her lifelong friend.

Even when there are wills sometimes they get 'lost' certainly happened in our family.
                                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

I will pop down the library and look up Edward in Australia, I don't have WW ancestry membership, not sure if I can access his will, not so good on Australia.

Did find his death in the Australia papers, but said nothing about anyone, so no help!
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-07-19, 10:56.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I had a feeling it wasn't the Ellis family, most people then were still very formal when it came to things like will etc.

Far more likely to be family. With her being single she perhaps got a bit 'spoilt' with a bit of money left in a few wills.

Luckily will are now only £1.50 so we don't feel so guilty about buying a few.

Hope you solve it all.
                                      yes the £1.50 spurred me into looking as she is not my direct descendent, but would love to solve the mystery, although am struggling at likely candidates, as most seemed to be survived by children, and didn't have amazing jobs.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

his will is on ancestry, he left everything to his brother samuel handy lugg.

Comment

Working...
                                        X