Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Record for The Royal Engineers 1891? finding Richard Kean b Manchester 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I looked for Mary Agnes and had no luck, don't know if Vera looked.

Richard is certainly looking good for morphing into someone else as he seems to have vanished.
    I did look. Seem to remember a Mary A with a chap in Yorkshire. Will resurrect that one. The Guardians placed the girls with the Nuns. Not being disrespectful, can't remember the Order. She may have become a Novice?

I would still go for that DC of Richard's wife.

Vera

Comment

• Just looking to see if I’ve got the References for that Death, Vera.

Holly

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        there is a death in 1891

Name: Mary Ann Kean
        Estimated birth year: abt 1862
        Registration Year: 1891
        Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
        Age at Death: 29
        Registration district: Chorlton

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...97/edit/record

was it this?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Yes, I’ve found it on the GRO Site:

Mary Ann Kean, age 29 years.
          Jan/Feb/March Quarter, 1891
          Volume: O8C
          Page: 629.

I was poised to order the PDF, but apparently you can only order paper copies, at £11, and subject to long delays due to COVID-19, etc...

And so I’m unsure what would be gained from ordering it?

Holly.

Comment

• Just the informant, I would think.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Yes, I would expect the informant to be either Richard Kean (Senior) or Mary Ann’s Mother...

I’ve had this reply from The National Archives:

Dear Ms Holman

Thank you for contacting The National Archives of the UK.

I have looked at the digitised image of the record concerned, where part of a page is obscured. Where this occurs, there are usually two scanned images, one with the obstruction in place, and another where it is folded back to reveal the contents underneath. This has not been done here, which may be an error, or it may mean that the piece of paper has been stuck in place and therefore could not be folded back

The only way to find out for certain is to look at the original, so I have requested the file, which is stored off-site. Since access to our building at Kew is currently restricted, for staff as well as visitors, this takes longer than it would under normal circumstances, but I hope to be able to get back to you again shortly.

And so that is promising!!
              Holly.

Comment

• I was trying to add another quote #204

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Husband's name and occupation; address; and yes, the informant.
                and according to Gov.uk site.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Holly View Post
                  Yes, I would expect the informant to be either Richard Kean (Senior) or Mary Ann’s Mother...

I’ve had this reply from The National Archives:

Dear Ms Holman

Thank you for contacting The National Archives of the UK.

I have looked at the digitised image of the record concerned, where part of a page is obscured. Where this occurs, there are usually two scanned images, one with the obstruction in place, and another where it is folded back to reveal the contents underneath. This has not been done here, which may be an error, or it may mean that the piece of paper has been stuck in place and therefore could not be folded back

The only way to find out for certain is to look at the original, so I have requested the file, which is stored off-site. Since access to our building at Kew is currently restricted, for staff as well as visitors, this takes longer than it would under normal circumstances, but I hope to be able to get back to you again shortly.

And so that is promising!!
                  Holly.
                  Fingers crossed. Can't believe someone would stick something on top of a Service Record.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    I was trying to add another quote #204

and according to Gov.uk site.

Vera

and addresses, too.

Why don't they do the online pdf?

good luck with the service record!

Comment

• That's a good reply from TNA - hope its good news
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

• Fingers crossed that something new is revealed!

Holly.

Comment

• Just as I'd almost given up hearing back from The National Archives, - I've had this reply:

'We have now been able to consult the original record of Richard Kean’s service in WO 96/1012.

As you can see from the attached photograph of the third page of his record, there was nothing written on the page that was obscured by the piece of paper that appears in the online image.

I am sorry that this has been a disappointing reply, but I wish you every success with the rest of your research'.

Well, I suppose it's better to know than not, - but sooooo disappointing:-(

Holly.

Comment

• oh what a shame, like you say at least better knowing. But a big disappointment.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• It certainly is, - but at least I didn’t trail all the way over there to find out. I was considering it!

I don’t know that I can go any further with this now.

Another thing that has cropped up, - I was pursuing this Kean link mainly because my highest DNA match on my paternal side was to a descendant of that Kean family. However, recently I noticed that the same match has a few (small) shared matches to my late Mother. This leads me to believe that the match is on both my maternal and paternal sides, and therefore probably not as significant as I had thought!

Holly.

Comment

• So sorry, Holly. Still, sometimes things turn up when you least expect it, including newly-tested DNA matches. Christmas and mother's day often see increased numbers of kits coming in - keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

• Thanks PhotoFamily.

Getting to a deadend like this was so disappointing! I've had to have a break from it for a while...

No significant new DNA Matches as yet, but I live in hope.

Holly.

Comment

• on the DNA matches can you try and build their trees wider, and see if you can get back further, guess you have tried that?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

• Yes, I’ve tried that Carolyn.

I’ve also started new Trees from scratch for several of them, and although I can see, in some cases, where their link is, I can’t see how I fit in.

I’ve been trying to make sense of it for over 2 years now...

Holly.

Comment

• are they all overseas? I can't remember.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Holly View Post
                                          Yes, I’ve found it on the GRO Site:

Mary Ann Kean, age 29 years.
                                          Jan/Feb/March Quarter, 1891
                                          Volume: O8C
                                          Page: 629.

I was poised to order the PDF, but apparently you can only order paper copies, at £11, and subject to long delays due to COVID-19, etc...

And so I’m unsure what would be gained from ordering it?

Holly.
                                          I am sure you should get a PDF - I haven't ordered for a while, but others have on here.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X