Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a link between the 2?

hi,

i have come across a strange coincidence and im struggling to find a link between the 2 BUT my gut feeling is that there is one.

in my tree i have some of the Carruthers family (distant related by my 3rd great aunt). robert Carruthers b abt1838 of cumbria married Mary Iriving b abt 1844 of cumbria marriage was in 1867. a good friend of mines maiden name was Carruthers and is from cumbria, her grandad and great grandad both had the middle name of irving - john irving carruthers (both of them). great grandad was born abt 1851 so 17yrs before the marriage. is there likely to be a link between the 2 families?

ive started a tree for my friends details to try and see if there is a link but as of yet i cant find one. any ideas?
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

It's frustrating isn't it when your feeling says yes! However both Carruthers and Irving are common names in Cumbria so it could well just be coincidence.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      It's frustrating isn't it when your feeling says yes! However both Carruthers and Irving are common names in Cumbria so it could well just be coincidence.
      Anne
      thanks anne not being from round here i didnt know both common names. (been here 6yrs now). im not giving up just yet, as i hit walls with my main rellies i started on "wives" families hence why i put distant related above.
      **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have been busy copying all the Carruthers births with mmn Irving and all the possible marriages so far. I see that your friends 1851 John Irving Carruthers birth in June Cockermouth (mmn Harker) appears to probably originate from the marriage of William Carruthers and Ann Harker in Cockermouth 1847.

I haven't worked anything out further yet and I have to go now, but I should say that there are many possible marriage connections in that area of possible Carruthers men to Irving ladies.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
        X