James Calvin Morrison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Calvin Morrison

Hello! Any help in locating my father, James Calvin Morrison would be greatly appreciated. The only information I have is: Married Marjorie Jean Block on 25 August 1952 in Gary, IN He had been married previously . Was in Baltimore, MD in May 1953. Then in Vallejo, CA in 1954-55. 1956 was in Gary again. 1958-59 in Brownsville, TX. Separated or divorced from Marjorie sometime after that. He was married after 1959, perhaps several times. Possibly born in Rhode Island around 1919. Does have connection / family in Schnectady, NY. Unfortunately, I do not have a date of birth or parents, siblings names. Have sesrced numerous collections but to know avail. Any help much appreciated. Thank you!

(I think you've realized that we can't post the names of living persons on FTF)
    (This could be moved to the sensitive research section, unless you want this searchable).

Ancestry has the marriage cert for a daughter of this couple:

and yes, it indicates he was born in Rhode Island.

There's always the problem that the info on a cert is only as good as a) the knowledge of the informant and b) the willingness of the informant to share that info.

FamilySearch has strong possibilities for 1920/30/40 census records for him:

which might be negated by the 1925 RI State census, where the possible son is referred to as James M Morrison

It could be interesting to determine that mother's maiden name - if it is Calvin, I think you have your man.

Do you have any idea when he died? Did he serve in WWII? Draft registrations are easy to find, but enlistment records are much less detailed, and often not online/available.

You can register for free on FamilySearch. You can sign up for 2 weeks of free Ancestry.com (cancel before those 2 weeks are up)

Welcome to FTF!

Comment

Originally posted by srlynnmarie
      Am looking for my father, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, born around 1919 possibly in Rhode Island and may have connections or family in Schenectady, NY. Married xxxxxxxxxxxx in Gary, Indiana. Was married before with at least one son. Possibly married again after 1959. Known residences include: Gary, Indiana , Baltimore, Maryland , Vallejo , California, Brownsville, Texas . Any help gratefully received. Have spent months looking but with no date of birth it is difficult. Thanks !
      The post has been edited following the similar post earlier today.

• DO NOT post any identifying details of living people either in forum posts or on our names database. Such posts will be amended by the moderators without warning and further action may be taken as per our abuse policy. When moderating we use a cut-off date of anyone who was born after 1915 or who married after 1935, without confirmation of death.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

He is deceased. Died around 1994 as my sister was contacted by lawyer. His wife is also deceased in 1994. I can confirm mother's death but only know of father's as my sister was contacted by lawyer following his death. Unfortunately she doesn't remember details of the conversation . Thanks.

Comment

Thanks but census gives no dates for birth. Have looked at them all.

Comment

Originally posted by srlynnmarie View Post
            He is deceased. Died around 1994 as my sister was contacted by lawyer. His wife is also deceased in 1994. I can confirm mother's death but only know of father's as my sister was contacted by lawyer following his death. Unfortunately she doesn't remember details of the conversation . Thanks.
            So, she does she remember what time of year that he contacted her, where JCM died, info about the wife that died in 1994?

Originally posted by srlynnmarie View Post
            but census gives no dates for birth. Have looked at them all.
            Keeping in mind that I don't know where you've looked - but, yes, if we can hone in on a likely candidate in the census, then start building more records around that person. If we can't locate him in census, I'm more suspicious, given the quantity of info that you do have, that he was hiding things.

By 1916, most places in the US had reliable BMD records. OK, maybe not all but I think CT would.

Also - any idea about his occupation(s)?
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-06-19, 21:34.

Comment

I think this would be a strong candidate for your man:
              Name: James C. Morrison
              SSN: 461-01-1596
              Last Residence:
              98901 Yakima, Yakima, Washington, USA
              Born: 2 Dec 1916
              Died: 14 Feb 1993
              State (Year) SSN issued: Texas (Before 1951)

Comment

So, that James Morrison in the 1920/30/40 censuses is not your man - here's the BC for him, proving the M. DOB does not match the candidate in post #7:
                Name: James M Morrison
                Birth Date: 15 Jul 1915
                Birth Place: Rhode Island
                1st Parent: Andrew D Morrison
                2nd Parent: Julia Morrison

Comment

This is not his wife. Per FindAGrave, her spouse was Robert
                  Name: Mary J. Morrison
                  SSN: 544-16-3902
                  Last Residence:
                  98022 Enumclaw, King, Washington, USA
                  Born: 3 Jan 1923
                  Died: 15 Dec 1994
                  State (Year) SSN issued: Oregon (Before 1951)

Comment

So, you could try ordering the Washington Death Cert for the man in #7 (maybe you already have?). If the informant knew, then it would list his parents' and wife's info, as well as his POB.

It looks like CT birth certs are not on FS or Ancestry, but I believe you could request one:

The death cert might be enough to prove your man.

I know I wrote to a Yakima area GenSoc to locate an obit. That might also be useful, if you can locate one.
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-06-19, 22:00.

Comment

Thank you for all your advice. Have found a James C. Morrison with two siblings living with another family which may be the connection. Am sure there is something not quite right here as the info is so patchy. Just the frequency of moves in six years is a bit iffy. But I will see how far I can get.

Comment

As the deaths are confirmed I have reinstated the first thread and merged it with the replies.

(Did you see my PM to you yesterday? It will be in the top right hand corner of the page with a little number by it.)
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Obviously, you have family stories and previous search results that can guide your research. Apologies if you have already worked on these ideas:
                          * you mentioned a first marriage and child from it. Locating records of those events may shed light on your search.
                          * presumably he divorced wife #1? Divorce records do exist, and can shed a lot of light if they can be found. They are (usually?) held in the county court offices where the divorce was filed.
                          * Locating his probate record (it might hold the information from the lawyer's search for descendants, for example)
                          * I sometimes find it useful to think about what was going on in the country in the time that my ancestors lived
                          - WWI ended in 1918.
                          - assistance to single mother's or poor families was often done thru charities, and families may have been broken up, with children used as labor (e.g., farms).
                          - young men were on their own at an early age (to us).
                          * last - genetic genealogy. If you haven't tested, it's worth a try. Methods used by DNAADOPTION.com are useful in anyone's family search, not just an adoptee's. Wait for a sale. Suggested progression for testing
                          - AncestryDNA
                          - migrate results to gedmatch.com and familytreeDNA.com (free upload and match lists, low $ cost to upgrade to advanced tools)
                          - migrate results to MyHeritage.com (not sure what they're charging now)
                          - test again at 23andme.com (with or without health reports - they don't assist your genealogy search)

Best wishes.
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-06-19, 16:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X