1949 Staines/Egham Abandoned army base, squatters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
    Further to my previous post regarding Wraysbury. I spoke to my mother in case your description rang a bell. With no prompt from me she also cited the Wraysbury area. She also spoke of friends of hers living on one of the roads by the river (now prime properties) gained their house via squatters rights, initially building a wooden shed and using it as a weekend retreat from their London home. Like me she also wondered about Hythe End, at the Staines end of Wraysbury and immediately opposite Runnnymede on the Thames. I too remember as a child in the late 60's many wooden buildings there.
    I have also remember that historically Wraysbury was badly flooded in 1947, so perhaps would fill the time line of your Grandfather, there was also flooding in the 50's and 60's. My parents bought a house with concrete floors there as when the previous owners were putting the damage to rights they decided on this course of action.
    You may recall that only a few years ago the village was again badly flooded, this time due to manmade causes aka the flood prevention of Maidenhead and Windsor. However I also recall a friend with a riverside property initially lived in a timber and asbestos!!! bungalow this was raised on a stilt like structure. She actually appeared on the news at the time of the more recent flooding as her house had been raised when rebuilt after a previous flood.
    It is amazing what your one post has made us remember, so thank you for that. I hope this may be of help to you.
    sounds like the right place, was there any connection to the buildings with the forces?

I wonder who claimed the land and sold it on to put large properties on them

lots of info about the 47 floods http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/w.../floods47.html
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Land registry might have information about ownership.

I don't understand why the poster's grandparents finished up in a council house if they had squatters rights. Unless they took a very small payoff, of course.

OC

Comment

perhaps it was work related, if they ended up in Bracknell - it was being developed into a new town with lots of jobs too.

And clearly a big flood risk there....
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Land registry might have information about ownership.

I don't understand why the poster's grandparents finished up in a council house if they had squatters rights. Unless they took a very small payoff, of course.

OC
          That is probably likely. My mother said she thought it was 20 years before the friends identified were able to build on their land, so the original posters family may not have been able to have waited that long.
          Carolyn it is only in more recent years that the HUGE properties have been built and the prices have gone ballistic.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

It might be worth contacting the local library in case they have a local studies centre or similar which would have information about the history of the area.

Comment

Working...
            X