No announcement yet.

James Jack Esq. Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The posting permissions section of my profile says i'm not allowed to post attachments. I can email the screenshot to you guys if you send me your email address via private message ? Thanks, again.

Comment

Here is the link to the marriage certificate. Hopefully you guys can access it.

Comment

Originally posted by rankpin View Post
        https://paste.pics/d1d7d75461e9b9542e46b9d799549e4f

Here is the link to the marriage certificate. Hopefully you guys can access it.
        Yes, I can see it.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Yes, I can see it.
          That's great, you have all been really helpful. On the marriage certificate, Margaret has a home address of Ballintemple which is near Garvagh, Co. Londonderry, maybe she was staying with a relative or maybe her Father was over temporarily to check up on things. Do you think the James Jack who married Ann Bowman is the correct man ?

Thanks again.

Comment

There is this marriage for another Jack in Strabane, Derry.
            Do you think it might be worth looking at this one?
            Name MARIANNE JACK
            Date of Event 1847
            Group Registration ID N/R
            SR District/Reg Area Strabane
            Returns Year 1847
            Returns Quarter 1
            Returns Volume No 10
            Returns Page No 271

PRONI has these:
            M/1847/Z1/2281/1/14 Mary Jack to McShea 17th June 1847 Strabane
            also:
            M/1848/J1/939/1/52 Mary Jack to McFerran 8th November 1848 Carrickfergus

I don't think you can assume you have the right James Jack yet - as Jay says . Steward or Carter???

These marriages are not near Margaret's in Londonderry. I think you need to search Scotlands People to see if you can find any of her siblings marriages there first to rule them out.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-06-19, 09:54. Reason: additional info
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Seems to be. When I searched for baptisms for a Margaret Jack in Lanarkshire 1820-1825 with a father called James, there was only one match. I chose Lanarkshire rather than just Glasgow City in case she had been born outwith the then city boundary. There were no entries at all for other Presbyterian churches nor for Roman Catholic ones. Not that she would likely have been RC given the marriage rites being United Church of England and Ireland but I thought I’d better double check.
              Granted not all other Presbyterian church records have survived/been deposited as the should have been but assuming that the family were the Established Church ie. Church of Scotland, you can be as certain as it’s possible to be that your Margaret’s parents were James Jack and Ann Bowman.
              Did you look at Cecilia’s 1856 marriage to see if her father was alive or dead? That cert will also give an occupation for her father and name her mother. The bride’s address will hopefully be the family home. Check out the witnesses as well in case they prove to be significant later.

Comment

Check out the Marianne marriage that Kat found in post #45. It could be the eldest daughter Marion baptised 1819 from the list in post #3.
                Let us know if that makes things clearer or not.

Comment

I have checked ancestry census transcription for 1841 for whole of Scotland and I haven’t found a James Jack of any age whose occupation is steward, land*, bail* (bailiff/baillie etc.) or factor.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    I have checked ancestry census transcription for 1841 for whole of Scotland and I haven’t found a James Jack of any age whose occupation is steward, land*, bail* (bailiff/baillie etc.) or factor.
                    That’s interesting, it’s just so frustrating that he is such a mystery. I already checked the marriages for other jacks born in Ireland and their father is not James jack. I will go onto SP and see what I can find out.

Comment

I checked for 1855 marriages of Jack both m/f in Glasgow City and the only two that had forenames that match with the baptism list in post #3 are these two. It might be something or nothing but worth checking to see father’s details.
                      There are no deaths in 1855 to fit the James Jack that I think he is.
                      I have a sinking feeling that if we have the correct James, he died between 1851 and 1854 so no certificate available.

Surname
                      JACK
                      Forename
                      JANET
                      Spouse Surname
                      DOWNIE
                      Spouse Forename
                      WILLIAM
                      Year
                      Ref
                      644/2 418
                      RD Name
                      High Church

Surname
                      JACK
                      Forename
                      JANET
                      Spouse Surname
                      TAYLOR
                      Spouse Forename
                      ARCHIBALD
                      Year
                      Ref
                      644/1 381
                      RD Name
                      Glasgow Central District
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-06-19, 11:29.

Comment

Try this death too. Only match for a Thomas born 1824 +/-2 in Lanarkshire.

Beyond that, I have to admit, I’m stumped for more ideas.

Surname JACK
                        Forename THOMAS
                        Age at death 78
                        Mother's Maiden Name
                        Year 1901
                        Ref 560/ 36
                        RD Name Cathcart (Lanark)
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-06-19, 11:44.

Comment

Hi again everybody.

I have found the time to do a bit of research into the Jack Family and i have posted a link containing the marriage certificate of Cecilia Jack, it says the Registration district is Calton which is in Glasgow. Her Father, James Jack is deceased at the time of marriage (19th May 1856). So he has died somewhere between 1848 and 1856. I hope this information helps someone help me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X