James Jack Esq. Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rankpin View Post
    The forum wont let me view any of your attachments. Any idea why ?
    There are currently limits as to what a new member can and cannot do, but actually I can't see the second attachment either ... I will have a look..

If i click on the link I can see it, but I am not sure that Scotland's people allow the copying of their images?
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
      There are currently limits as to what a new member can and cannot do, but actually I can't see the second attachment either ... I will have a look..

If i click on the link I can see it, but I am not sure that Scotland's people allow the copying of their images?
      UPDATE: I have had a look and the Copyright policy there is:

All content available on this website

Visitors to this website are granted permission to access this material, to download and copy such material onto electronic, magnetic, optical or similar storage media and to make printed copies of any such downloaded material, provided that such activities and copies are for non-commercial private study and research only.
      The only exception to this are record agents working on behalf of clients who may pass content on to their client who in turn is bound by these terms and conditions.

Putting them here is a grey area methinks? It goes on to allow max 20 images per website.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/copyright
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

There was a recent statement from SP further clarifying private research use of posting their certs and the upshot is it’s perfectly ok for the likes of forum use like on here etc. They would prefer you to cut off the other certs in the image that are not the one you are wanting to show - as I have done above, the bottom two on the page as missing and also to credit where the image comes from. Their copyright is in the tracings at the top of the image under the name and very number.
        No idea why the image will not come up in my post as I downloaded it to my Photos album on the phone and then edited out the bottom two and resaved. Hold till I check what format the file is.

Comment

Esquire - a polite title appended to a man's name when no other title is used, typically in the address of a letter or other documents.

What were the occupations of Margaret's husband Leslie and that of his father on the marriage certificate?
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

This one’s definitely a jpeg. Does that show for everyone now?

18E6C86F-A0E4-491D-81F3-AD22C5A8BE8A.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
              Esquire - a polite title appended to a man's name when no other title is used, typically in the address of a letter or other documents.

What were the occupations of Margaret's husband Leslie and that of his father on the marriage certificate?
              Ann’s death cert says James was [_?] store keeper and carter. I can’t make out the first word. Perhaps he was highly regarded in the community or thought he was more than plain Mr being a businessman?

Maybe there’s something in the Glasgow Trade Directories?
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-06-19, 16:04.

Comment

Record Transcription:
                1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                Barony, Glasgow Central, Lanarkshire, Scotland

First name(s) Ann
                Last name Jack
                Relationship Inmate
                Marital status Widow
                Sex Female
                Age 74
                Birth year 1787
                Occupation Dom Serv
                Birth town Glasgow
                Birth town as transcribed GLASGOW
                Birth county Lanarkshire
                Kat

Comment

She must have gone out to work or taken a live in position to support herself after she was bereaved.

Comment

in the opening post there is reference to James Jack, "steward". Steward could have been referring to a land steward, bailiff - have a look to see what estates/large farms there were in the relevant area and then see if you can find any appropriate estate records.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      There was a recent statement from SP further clarifying private research use of posting their certs and the upshot is it’s perfectly ok for the likes of forum use like on here etc. They would prefer you to cut off the other certs in the image that are not the one you are wanting to show - as I have done above, the bottom two on the page as missing and also to credit where the image comes from. Their copyright is in the tracings at the top of the image under the name and very number.
                      No idea why the image will not come up in my post as I downloaded it to my Photos album on the phone and then edited out the bottom two and resaved. Hold till I check what format the file is.
                      That's good to know.
                      Caroline

Comment

Have worked out what the first word is for Ann’s husband’s occupation. It says “bonded”. He was a Bonded Storekeeper and Carter so he handled the likes of alcohol and tobacco etc. that had customs duties on them. Not just an ordinary shop keeper then. Surely he must have had money to have purchased his own family lair for burials?

Comment

Leslie Rankin was a House Carpenter and his Father James Rankin was an architect.

For reference, here's the newspaper announcement from Leslie Rankin's local newspaper in County Londonderry-
                          Coleraine Chronicle, 22 Sept.1849: Married- At Garvagh, county Derry, on the 8th inst., by the Rev, Mitchell Smyth, Mr. Leslie Rankin, builder, to Margaret, second daughter of James Jack, Esq., Glasgow.

Comment

That fits with the baptisms in post #3. Marion was the eldest girl, then Margaret.

Comment

Suppose margaret could have said he was an esquire? Maybe she didn't know his actual occupation or was bigging him up to impress?

Comment

It’s a little confusing, he seems like the correct person. However, on the marriage cert for Leslie and Margaret it says James jack was a steward, that usually means land steward or maybe ship steward.

A land steward would match up with the title of esquire. I’m also curious as to how Margaret ended up in Ireland, I can’t tell if she came with family or on her own accord ?

Comment

Does the parish register still exist? Quite often the bride’s father was one of the witnesses.

Comment

Yes, it does still exist, both bride and groom signed their own names. The witnesses were a Robert Robertson and a John someone, cant decipher the second name, but definitely not Jack.

Comment

Can you put up a screenshot of the parish record?
                                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by rankpin View Post
                                        It’s a little confusing, he seems like the correct person. However, on the marriage cert for Leslie and Margaret it says James jack was a steward, that usually means land steward or maybe ship steward.

A land steward would match up with the title of esquire. I’m also curious as to how Margaret ended up in Ireland, I can’t tell if she came with family or on her own accord ?
                                        See my post #29
                                        IF James Jack was a land steward, in the employ of a wealthy Scottish landowner, then it is quite possible that the same land owner also had property in Ireland, to which his steward travelled from time to time. This COULD have been how his daughter met and married someone from Ireland.
                                        At that time Ireland was part of the UK; many land/property links between Scotland and Ulster, of which Co Londonderry was a part.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Esq is merely a written honorific, used where the writer does not know the social/professional standing of the person and does not wish to give offence. Exactly what a newspaper might do. It doesn't have any other significance in that situation.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                          X