No trace of Alice Harwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No trace of Alice Harwood

Alice was named by my 4x great grandfather Thomas Harwood, blacksmith of Sutton,Sussex in his will made 2nd April 1813,probate Chichester 9 Jan 1817 as one of his daughters, the will can be seen here:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DY99-QBH?i=505&cat=1022203

She is the last named daughter, all the other children I know about appear in the will in order of birth, boys first then girls:

Order in will
    Baptismal order
    Thomas born c1780
    Edward bapt 1782
    Henry bapt 1786
    James bapt 1797
    Edmund bapt 1803
    Mary bapt 1779
    Eleanor bapt 1783
    Elizabeth bapt 1788

Not named
    Ann bapt 1791 bur 1806.
    Frances bapt 1794
    Mary 31 Jan 1779
    Thomas c1780 (bapt missing, age calculated from age at burial in 1845, wife’s newspaper death announcement of 1877 states she was the widow of Thomas Harwood blacksmith)
    Edward 24th Mar 1782
    Elenor 2 Feb 1783
    Henry 4th June 1786
    Elizabeth 31st Aug 1788
    Ann 27th Dec 1791
    Frances 17th Aug 1794
    James 25th Jun 1797
    Edmund 18th Oct 1803

I would guess she was born after Elizabeth (1788) I have been through every page of Sutton baptisms from the time of her parents' marriage (1788) on FamilySearch images, both the originals (scruffily kept) and the Bishops Transcripts (neat and tidy) and there is no trace of Alice,neither is there a burial. Her mother Mary had her last recorded child, Edmund, in1803 when she was about 45/46 so I would guess that Alice was born before this.

The Sussex Marriage Index has no marriage for an Alice Harwood up to 1837, and I cannot find a marriage out of county before or that.
    Sussex Family History Group online records have no burial or an Alice Harwood. Using FreeBMD no-one of that name died in Sussex 1837-1841, none married in that period. An Alice Harwood married in 1844 in London but her father was Samuel. No Alice with a birthplace of Sutton, Sussex with a credible birthdate found on any census.

Edmund Harwood, her brother, named his firstborn daughter Alice in 1835.

What have I missed?
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 30-05-19, 09:25. Reason: spacing

Sorry but nothing that look very good on FMP either.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I see you already have one baptism missing, so maybe Alice was just accidentally left out of the PR or baptised somewhere else, or maybe they forgot to get her baptised! Have you seen the BTs for the parish. I have occasionally found a 'missing' one recorded in there, although TBH it is usually the other way round.
      Anne

Comment

Thanks for looking. I've checked the BT's without success :(

Comment

Looks like you have been very thorough, and it can't be transcription. I guess as Sutton is such a small place it is likely that she could have left the village, where did the others go that left the village?

Any of the sons have a will and mention sisters?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for your interest Carolyn. The brothers stayed in the village, James died in 1823, Edmund became a cordwainer, Henry carried on in the blacksmithing business and so did Thomas, the exception was Edward, also a cordwainer who left for Billingshurst. No wills except for Edmund in which only his widow and children are named.

As for the girls, I don't know what happened to Mary (yet), Eleanor married William Bartlett in 1817 and had four sons at nearby Graffham after which I can find no trace, Elizabeth married John Brooks and ended her days in Sutton poorhouse.

The Petworth Emigration Scheme was operating in this part of Sussex in the 1830s whereby locals were helped to emigrate to Canada. Edmund's brother in law Richard Neal of Sutton went and sent back letters. The scheme has been very well researched and no Alice Harwood has appeared. I also know of families leaving for Australia from the area at this time, but have not found anything yet.

Comment

Looking on the Petworth Emigration Project website I see a Harwood wrote back from Canada, I shall have to get the book from the ligrary and find out more.

Comment

There is a Harwood listed on 'British Tar' a brig that sailed from Portsmouth on 17 April 1834

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

On the same list as above there is another Harwood listed on 'Burrell', a barque that sailed from Portsmouth (Spithead) 23 April 1835
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    The Petworth Emigration Scheme was operating in this part of Sussex in the 1830s whereby locals were helped to emigrate to Canada. Edmund's brother in law Richard Neal of Sutton went and sent back letters. The scheme has been very well researched and no Alice Harwood has appeared. I also know of families leaving for Australia from the area at this time, but have not found anything yet.
                    that is really interesting I had no idea that local schemes existed, siblings of my direct line were assisted to Australia in 1850s, but I think (maybe wrongly) this was more of a national thing and farmers were funded to help the gold rush towns set up.

The time line fits that they could have gone and hence all disappearing, the better option if Elizabeth ended up in the poor house :(
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      There is a Harwood listed on 'British Tar' a brig that sailed from Portsmouth on 17 April 1834

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/pa...petworth.shtml

Thankyou Kat, I shall follow these up. There's Langley and a Leggett too which are also two of my ancestral names.

Comment

For three decades myself and several other researchers were stuck with the bp of a communal ancestor, who in the 1851 census return was declared to have been born at "Thontley" (a non-existent place) and as he died in the 1850's, there were no further census entries to enlighten us further. We have now discovered his baptism in a parish in my area, although his elder sister and all their younger siblings were baptised in a village about seventy miles away. Further research has shown that the child's mother had family associations with the bp parish, although she, her husband and the children lived at Thornton le Moor in the parish of North Otterington, where the bps of all the other children were recorded. It would seem that the parents and their infant daughter perhaps either travelled on a family visit, during which my ancestor was born and baptised in the local church, or brought their first son to be baptised in the parish of his maternal grandparents.
                        So, people did travel about for various reasons and sometimes events are "one offs," the records turning up in most unlikely places. Good luck and don't give up!

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 31-05-19, 11:25.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thankyou for your encouragement Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X