Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lee birmingham

need help again please
    Edward Lee married Ann Maria Pugh nov 8th 1846 both living at the Crescent Birmingham , married at St Martins church Birmingham .
    fathers were John Lee dec and John pugh dec. both blacksmiths,
    I know Edward had at least one brother Francis Lee who married Sophia Rodgers and maria Pugh had at least one sister Sarah Pugh.
    they all state born in Birmingham. I would love to trace the families. of both Edward Lee and Maria Pugh. they were my great grandparents. but I keep drawing a blank with both. any ideas please.

do you know when they were born.
    do you have the marriage certificate that gives their ages

this is probably her death and burial
    First name(s) Ann Maria
    Last name Lee
    Birth year -
    Death year 1908
    Burial year 1908
    Cemetery Witton Cemetery
    Place Birmingham, Witton Cemetery
    Last edited by Janet H.; 25-05-19, 18:36.

Comment

found this 1841
      John Pugh born 1873 widower lodging with John Starlion and family.
      John Pugh is listed as a blacksmith.
      Parish of St. Martin

ooops sorry it was the 1851. There is a small chance that deceased was not correct.
      Last edited by Janet H.; 25-05-19, 18:44.

Comment

should be able to find them on some census - have you got those? do you know their childrens names?

these are on GRO with maiden name Pugh - are these likely?

LEE, MARIA PUGH
        GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 16 Page 415
        LEE, SARAH ANN PUGH
        GRO Reference: 1847 D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 16 Page 364
        LEE, CAROLINE PUGH
        GRO Reference: 1857 D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 23
        LEE, EDWARD PUGH
        GRO Reference: 1852 D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 65
        LEE, EDWARD PUGH
        GRO Reference: 1852 D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 65
        LEE, THOMAS PUGH
        GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 10

On marriage record it says Edward was a nailer
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-05-19, 19:43.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have found a couple of census with wife as Maria Lee, and Edward a coal merchant with Maria in 1851 and with Maria and Caroline in 1861, can post details or link to ancestry.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Taking a guess but looking at the children's names, John Pugh jobbing smith 1841

H0 107/1143/7/24/6 Lench Street, Birmingham

John Pugh 52
            Sarah Pugh 48 nail stamper
            Caroline Pugh 13
            Sarah Pugh 6
            Henry Pugh 5
            Last edited by Elaine; 25-05-19, 20:54.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Marriage for Francis Lea to Sophia Rogers, he is as blacksmith whilst father is nail maker

witnesses William and Elizabeth Simpson
              Elaine

Comment

maybe John in 1851?

Pugh is a common name in wales, not sure if so in Birmingham
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

thank you yes i have the wedding certificate but it just states full age.

Comment

thank you

Comment

thank you I have this but have being told before I have the wrong people and I wondered if there could have being another family with the names francis and Sophia rodgrers and lee.

Comment

thank you all for your help on the pugh name i am after the lee name mainly as he was my great grandfather.

Comment

have them in the census returns thank you its the parents of Edward lee I am looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            I have found a couple of census with wife as Maria Lee, and Edward a coal merchant with Maria in 1851 and with Maria and Caroline in 1861, can post details or link to ancestry.
                            The 1871 for this family has Edward b Broseley, Shopshire.

He is with wife Maria, d Maria and son Frederick George b 1868. Frederick G's bap gives father Edward a Labourer residing Cottage Lane

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 26-05-19, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                              The 1871 for this family has Edward b Broseley, Shopshire.

He is with wife Maria, d Maria and son Frederick George b 1868. Frederick G's bap gives father Edward a Labourer residing Cottage Lane

Vera
                              GRO says mothers name Pugh
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

thank you yes i have these but it is edwards father and mother i am looking for. but thank you both

Comment

Originally posted by gracemegan View Post
                                  thank you yes i have the wedding certificate but it just states full age.
                                  What name and occupation does it give for his father?

Sorry - ignore that - I see you have already given those details.
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 27-05-19, 08:25.
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by gracemegan View Post
                                    thank you yes i have these but it is edwards father and mother i am looking for. but thank you both
                                    you often locate parents by finding all records on the family, as will pinpoint occupation, place of birth. Also finding all siblings is important as the parents can be found residing with them, or nearby.

do you think you have all siblings and all census for all of them?

Are you using Ancestry or FMP or various free sites, transcription can be different on them.

I have not found census for Francis but note that the marriage record (if it is correct link) is in central Birmingham not far from Edward, which could mean that is the area that they were raised.

It is interesting that Edward put a different place of birth, he did revert to birmingham in the next census. could mean he moved as a baby I guess, or just the enumerator wrote it wrong.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Trying to track down Francis for pob. Have found a Francis Lea with Sophia in Birmingham in 1871. He is born in Worcester which is a different area from that of ? brother Edward recorded on 1871 as born in Shropshire.

Another problem on this 1871 census raises a query on Sophia Rogers. The mmn for the children on the 1871 is Simpson.

Francis Lea b 1824 Worcester a Smith
                                      Sophie Lea b 1823 Kidderminster
                                      Emma b 1852 Kidderminster
                                      Eliza b 1857 b Gournal (Dudley Reg)
                                      Sophia b 1861 Gournal
                                      living Brewery Street Court, Aston, Birmingham

there is also a Francis b 1851 Birmingham reg

I can see a Sophia and Francis with Sophia's parents in the 1851. This too is a bit odd

James 76 Nail Maker b Oldbury, Staffs
                                      Martha 70 Birmingham
                                      James, Son 41 Married Nail Maker Burton on Trent
                                      Sophie daughter Married 48 ?? Thimble Maker Kidderminster
                                      Francis Son Married 28 Nail maker Worcester
                                      Living 3, Park Street, Birmingham

The Witnesses to Francis Lea and Sophie Rogers wedding in 1844 were
                                      William Simpson and Elizabeth Butler who marry in 1837 St Martin, Birmingham
                                      William full age bachelor Nailer living Park Street father James, Nailer
                                      Elizabeth Butler Full Age Park Street father George Nailer
                                      Witnesses Hannah Butler and Ann Jacobs

Subsequent census for William Simpson have him recorded as b Kidderminster

So was Sophie perhaps married previously or is this a different Sophie altogether I wonder

Vera
                                      Last edited by vera2013; 27-05-19, 14:10.

Comment

Just what I wondered Vera but couldn't see him 1851 (if I'm remembering the right census) to hopefully look at any other children or baptisms close to the marriage date.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X