Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP look up?

Hi,
    I can't find a birth/baptism for Abiel Wichello b. 1781 Tetsworth, Oxfordshire (details from census info) on Ancestry. Is anyone willing to look on FMP please and see if there is one on there - I'm trying to locate his father/mother.
    Thanks

I can’t find one either, sorry. Just two censuses, and a possible marriage in 1801 to Ann Holliday who could be the Hannah with him in 1841. Also a transcription of a GRO death in 1859 but most annoyingly I can’t find it on GRO website to get age at death. Have tried both the variant surname options as well.

Comment

Nothing much on FMP for Oxfordshire at all.
      There is a death for him 1859 Thame, Oxfordshire
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for looking! Yes I have the death and marriage to Ann but nothing else. I'm not even sure that's him on the census' I have in Tetsworth as he's a school master which I find hard to believe in my family - we're farm labourers or travellers mostly! There are quite a few Abiel Wichello BMD's unfortunately for the same area so hard to try and work out who's who!

Comment

There’s trees on ancestry that refer to a baptism on 12 May 1781 at Tetsworth, son of John Whichello and Hester Herring but it’s a contributed entry not an indexed one and no image available.
          The trees have the marriage to Ann Holliday but the odd thing is that whilst in the two censuses, he’s a teacher, a couple of baptisms for their children in the trees have images saying he’s a butcher. A bit of a big career change that!

Comment

Yes - I think there maybe 2 or 3 abiel/Abel wichello's :(

Comment

Remember that there was absolutely no qualification needed to be a teacher back then. Anyone could start a school or call themselves a teacher.

However! The outlines of the words "teacher" and "butcher" are remarkably similar, so I would think he was one or the other, not both.

OC

Comment

Abiel, son of John and Hester Whichello, baptised 12 May 1781 Tetsworth.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...270_1_R1_2_014
                Last edited by ozgirl; 21-05-19, 22:37.
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

They transcribed his name as Alice!
                  Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-05-19, 22:41.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

His parents were John and Hester.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

John married Hester Herring 9 Apr 1776 by licence in Tetsworth. Both otp.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                      Linda

Comment

Thank you - how did you find that Oz Girl!! Thanks ladies
                        Last edited by tessie31082; 22-05-19, 08:08.

Comment

His burial 20 Jan 1859 age 77

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            They transcribed his name as Alice!
                            My usual search tactics to find name variants were never going to pick that one up LOL Well done!

Comment

I knew the Oxford images were on line, so just browsed the Tetsworth BMDs for 1781 and there he was!
                              Linda

Comment

Just to clarify some of the
                                Abiel Whichellos,one of whom is my partners direct ancestor. Their common ancestor is William Whichello 1712...1772 mrd Hannah Nicks in 1732 Bicester OXF Amongst nine children they had Abiel born 1737 who mrd as his second wife Mary Southam in Winslow BKM.1769 These two had a son Abiel born 1780 in Winslow who married Ann Hall in Watlington OXF in1803 and had a son Abiel baptised in Ewelme OXF in 1808
                                William Whichello of Bicester also had a son John born 1752 who married Hester Herring .John and Hester had yet one more Abiel born 1781 in TetsworthOXF. It is this Abiel who marries Ann Holiday in 1801 StSepulchre London. These two had their own Abiel born Wallingford OXF in 1804 This last Abiel marries Elizabeth Roberts and moves to Brill BKM. He is killed in Dec1892 in a cart accident . It doesn’t seem a lot clearer but I have researched the family for over twenty years and have copies of wills ,parish registers etc
                                which all agree with these relationships!

Comment

Hi Arabrab33! This is an old post, I've since done a new one and finally got my head around 'MY' Abiel which is the one who marries Mary Southam Thanks for this though as I can now go back and check what I have!
                                  Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by Arabrab33 View Post
                                    Just to clarify some of the
                                    Abiel born 1780 in Winslow who married Ann Hall
                                    Arabrab33, do you know when / where Abiel died / was buried?

Thanks

Comment

There is also a tree on Ancestry and Family Search which has the Abiel marrying Ann Holliday but then having Abiel & Mary Southam as his parents which is wrong according to your research (if I'm reading it correctly) and then a John Whichello then Potter Whichello - is this the correct information?
                                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                      X