Clark Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not leading anwhere yet

I was following the Alice J Woolford living with Rose Clarke in Gothic Street, Cambridge in 1945/44 FMP electoral roll
    I can see her in Bournmouth, in the 1939, living/married to William H Clarke b 1900.
    Additional names Gaff and Woolford.
    Alice J Gaff b Aylsham 1907 mmn Clark.
    Alice J Gaff marries Kenneth Woolford Cambridge 1843. Continue to live in Cambridge.
    William H Clarke b 1900 was an RAF Reservist in 1939
    Cant see a Gaff/Clarke marriage

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 06-05-19, 22:27.

Comment

Hi Dan,

1 - Have you got the marriage certificate of Rose Clark nee Saunders to William Walters ? With a bit of luck it will may say widow or divorced. If she is a widow it narrows the window down for a death for her first husband.

2 - Have you looked at the Commonwealth Graves site? He may have died in the war either in the army etc or as a civilian.

3 - You say that you know your Grandfather and siblings were in the care of Dr Barnados. You may be able to get his records, and this may tell you why they were there. It may give you some clues to what happened to their father.

4 - I see that on the 1939 his date of birth is given as 18 May 1907. Interestingly there is an Arthur George Clark born 18 May 1908 and died 1982 Bromley London.

My mother was evacuated from London to Cambridge in WW2.

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        Not leading anwhere yet

I was following the Alice J Woolford living with Rose Clarke in Gothic Street, Cambridge in 1945/44 FMP electoral roll
        I can see her in Bournmouth, in the 1939, living/married to William H Clarke b 1900.
        Additional names Gaff and Woolford.
        Alice J Gaff b Aylsham 1907 mmn Clark.
        Alice J Gaff marries Kenneth Woolford Cambridge 1843. Continue to live in Cambridge.
        William H Clarke b 1900 was an RAF Reservist in 1939
        Cant see a Gaff/Clarke marriage

Vera
        Interesting Vera. Possible birth William H Clark from the 1939 Reg born June qtr 1900

CLARK, WILLIAM HENRY mmn PICKERING
        GRO Reference: 1900 J Quarter in WHITBY Volume 09D Page 481
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have been trying to trace
          CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE SPINK
          GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in PETERBOROUGH Volume 03B Page 202

see if I could find a christening record that states birth date to match the 1939 register, not had any luck yet.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by mateer1987 View Post
            I apologise all, I was just looking back through info I had been given and I have a question mark by it in my notes but I vaguely remember my grandfathers sister saying something about her grandfather being called William Clark? Has anybody come across that name anywhere whilst looking for Arthur? I apologise again its a small piece of info that I missed. Again never been able to prove it to be true or not. Last thing I want is to updset anyone on here. Your help is greatly greatly appreciated!!
            Is your Grandfather's sister deceased and if so could you tell us her name and age please?
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

my grandfathers sister is Thelma Clark, she passed away last year she was 79 when she passed. her married name was canham. There is also another sister Hazel Clark who was born may 1933 died april 1995 - married name king

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              Is your Grandfather's sister deceased and if so could you tell us her name and age please?

Comment

Someone in earlier post also found what could possibly be another sister an M Clark born 1935. on freebmd shows mothers maiden name as saunders. but i really know. nothing of her as ive not heard of her until then. i would post full name but have been informed i cant as unable to confirm whether she is still alive or not
                Last edited by mateer1987; 07-05-19, 08:45.

Comment

This william would only be 5 maybe 6 years old at the time of Arthurs (b: 1906) birth? be rather young would t it?

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  Interesting Vera. Possible birth William H Clark from the 1939 Reg born June qtr 1900

CLARK, WILLIAM HENRY mmn PICKERING
                  GRO Reference: 1900 J Quarter in WHITBY Volume 09D Page 481

Comment

my grandfathers sister is Thelma Clark, she passed away last year she was 79 when she passed. her married name was canham. There is also another sister Hazel Clark who was born may 1933 died april 1995 - married name king
                    Sorry - it's me getting confused again. I was thinking you knew the name of your Gt.Grandfather's sister. We already know the names of your grandfather's siblings of course:o

Comment

Arthur Clark married Elizabeth Spink JQ 1901 Peterborough 3b 577

I have checked Clark(e)/Spink births. There are quite a few but only ONE in the right area and that is

Arthur George Clark JQ 1907 Peterborough 3b 202.

I think it is very suspicious that this couple had only one child and I am wondering if they had parted company before Arthur was born.

Can anyone see this family in 1911 please?

OC

Comment

This is it OC.

Name: Arthur George Clarke
                        Age in 1911: 4
                        Estimated birth year: abt 1907
                        Relation to Head: Son
                        Birth Place: Peterborough, Northamptonshire
                        Civil Parish: Peterborough
                        Search Photos: Search for 'Peterborough' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
                        County/Island: Northamptonshire
                        Street address: 12 Crawthorne Road Peterborough
                        Registration district: Peterborough
                        Registration District Number: 170
                        Sub-registration district: Peterborough
                        ED, institution, or vessel: 15
                        Household schedule number: 148
                        Piece: 8680
                        Household Members:
                        Name Age
                        Arthur Clarke 35 Birth 1876 Outwell, Norfolk
                        Elizabeth Clarke 38 Birth 1873 Peterborough
                        Arthur George Clarke 4
                        Eleanor Jane Whaley 23
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-05-19, 09:28.
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ooh, thankyou Kat!

Knocks my theory out of the water, BUT...I think it would be worth buying the certificate for the date of birth alone to see if it matches with the death bcbrit found.

I agree with bcbrit that it would be worth getting the Barnados records.

OC

Comment

Oh durh! Apologies to both Kat and Vera, this info has already been posted by Vera!

I still think it's worth getting that birth cert though, for elimination purposes if nothing else because this is a very good contender.

OC

Comment

I have come over to my grandmothers and looked at my grandfathers birth certificate. On it his fathers occupation is listed as fish merchant. looks like he many occupations throughout his life lol.

Comment

this is the census
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2352/rg14_08680_0295_03/52227502

and I think this maybe the older Arthur in 1939 - but with a Jane - right occupation

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/tna_r39_6290_6290f_001/45454635

possible death for elizabeth
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7579/ons_d19211az-0174/16484426
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-05-19, 10:38.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I have come over to my grandmothers and looked at my grandfathers birth certificate. On it his fathers occupation is listed as fish merchant. looks like he many occupations throughout his life lol.
                                  so this is the younger born 1907, still no occupation for elder? or any documents?

you could look through some directories and you might find a bit about your grandfather - he maybe had a high street shop - might have advertised in local papers etc.
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-05-19, 10:37.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

NB this Arthur is quite findable on the census etc - but need something to link him. I think birth cert is only way - to get dob if it is same as 1939 reg, then must be safe to assume he is your man.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

this is my great grandfather arthur born 1906/7. so makes this my grandads father. This is the elusive relative that i cannot find. not to be confused with the younger arthur born 1934 - my grandads brother.

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      so this is the younger born 1907, still no occupation for elder? or any documents?

you could look through some directories and you might find a bit about your grandfather - he maybe had a high street shop - might have advertised in local papers etc.

Comment

Can everyone ignore this please. I have been working on something but have to go, so parking it here for later before I lose it.

Marriages Mar 1905 -Clarke Mary Ann Aylsham 4b 123
                                        GAFF Thomas William Aylsham 4b 123

Comment

just because I always like to look at maps and places people lived - here is a picture of gothic street
                                          gothic street.JPG
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X