Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: J.H. Zukertort in the 1881 census

Hi,

I am looking for Johannes Hermann Zukertort in the census of 1881. He was born in Lublin in 1842 (though during his lifetime many thought it was Riga) under the name Cukiertort.

I have proof that he was in London on 2 April 1881 [where he lived], so I am about 100% certain that he was in London the night of the census (3-4 April).

He died in 1888 at Charing Cross Hospital. On 23 June there was a post-mortem on his body. He was buried on 26 June, and in the burial register there is read: "The deceased having been removed from the parish of St Martin in the Fields, Westminster." Perhaps this was an indication about the place where he lived? From another source I deduce he lived very close to Heygate Street (Lambeth).

I hope someone can trace him for me at Ancestry. I tried it a lot, without result.

Thanks!,
    Hans

sorry no joy, bu did find this - it lists all surnames in St martin in the fields for 1881

Find out where in the world your surname originated, what it originally meant and how many other people you share it with.

only 3 beginning with a z
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I stumbled across Zukertort in the 1881 census and information about it has been posted on the English Chess Forum:

Comment

Working...
      X