help with a word, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a word, please

This is from a baptism record for John, son of Thomas and Margaret his wife etc ....
    What do you think the word is, underneath "John son" and above "his wife"???
    It's the only entry like it on the double page and there appears to be a small arrow head denoting an omission, and the insertion of "John son" after and above the mystery word. (I would HATE to miss something significant, lol!)

1707 N Repps bp John 3.jpg

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I think it says Thomas. The TH is tangled up with the J from above. But there is a mark between the a and s ?

john.JPG
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-03-19, 18:09.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Yes, it could be meant to say John Thomas son of Thomas. But I do wonder if the clerk wrote Thomas by mistake and then crossed it out with a little curly line (like rings) like they sometimes used in wills to fill in spaces at the line end.
      Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 22-03-19, 22:28.

Comment

Thanks, ladies. I was wondering if the vicar had entered Thomas (the father) in error, rather than the name of the son, and then attempted to correct the record. I think it would have been quite unusual in 1707 for a child to have been recorded with two forenames. Alternatively, it could have been a word of great significance which I didn't want to carelessly dismiss!
        (I am currently downloading any images of relevant Norfolk PR before they disappear from general view.)

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
        X