No announcement yet.

Looking for death information - Leonard Edgar Biggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Vera. I guess at this point it's most likely he was admitted to an infirmary/hospital and died there. With closed/damaged records, I think there's little chance of me finding much now, certainly online anyway :(

Comment

I think it is unlikely that a hospital or institution did not register a death. BUT it is more likely that the details were wrong.
      I have someone who was in mental hospitals for years and struggled to find his death, with a fairly common name. Luckily he was commemorated on his parents' gravestone so I did know which year he died. Eventually I did get his certificate, which was the correct one, but the institution he died in was quite a long way from the area I expected and his age was 15 years wrong! Poor chap died in a smallpox outbreak in the institution so I guess they were under pressure at the time.
      Anne

Comment

I can see that an online tree has him dying in 1922 and in Buckinghamshire.. quite how they have got that info I have no idea.

just a thought, did his wife get buried with him when she died? [I realise that she remarried, but it isn't unknown for a wife of a second marriage to be buried with her first husband]
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have looked for deaths 1921-1923 Buckinghamshire using just Biggs, just Leonard and just Edgar, but can only think maybe they were being sloppy with initial and age, as this is the only remotely similar one I can find -
          Deaths Sep 1922 - Biggs Leonard A - 19 Leighton B 3b 326

Re the tree on Julie's post #43
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-03-19, 10:09.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I saw the Leighton B and as near me in Bedfordshire and seemed a long way from anywhere. In the wider tree does he have siblings etc around this part of the country? Hadn't realised it would be for some of Bucks, but still a long way from Birmingham

Here is a link to the areas covered by it:

Have you got records of any family member in a church locally to where they were living?

name and age wrong...right area

Briggs Leonard 33 Birmingham 6d 258
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-03-19, 10:09.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I went to MK library yesterday and was amazed at the amount of books/registers they had there, and now just read on that link and says that MK hold the registers. Wonder what they had in library. If there is something there I don't mind a visit back in a couple of weeks.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

thing is when people were ill/sick sometimes they were sent to the seaside to get the sea air, some institutions were in the middle of nowhere just so they didn't disturb anyone.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Unless the age is wildly out though I would think it's more likely to be a different one.
                  Shouldn't 'ours' be more like 43/44? He was born n 1878.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-03-19, 10:27.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

name and age wrong...right area

Briggs Leonard 33 Birmingham 6d 258
                    Can't see a Leonard Briggs in the Birmingham area b1889 yet, I like the fact he is likely to be 43 so 3 is correct....but clutching at straws I guess.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Did you know that you can search and buy burial records from Birmingham city council?

sadly no Leonard Biggs but Leonard Briggs is on there - I kind of feel that he can't be right man if it is Briggs on here also

Capture.JPG

There is Leonard Biggs in 1974 - I assume this maybe the son which could be useful to you.
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-03-19, 13:01.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

There may be a record of him here - Previously Dudley Workhouse and later the City Hospital.

It is possible that Leonard E was in a mental health establishment despite his illness being physical.

My own great grandfather died in an Asylum. The illness he had in its end stages would have caused neurological problems. Prior to that his notes recorded him as a quiet inmate.

Vera
                        i

Comment

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

I agree with Vera. I suspect he died Birmingham area especially as his wife remarried there.
                          The Archives are your best bet at possibly finding him through admissions.
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Mystery why no death certificate, but maybe due to the institution registering it - a lot of details incorrect?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...id=207&page=18

I agree with Vera. I suspect he died Birmingham area especially as his wife remarried there.
                              The Archives are your best bet at possibly finding him through admissions.
                              Looks like the archives points through to Birmingham Library. The admission records show as closed as they're within 100 years, which I assume means you can't look at them at all? http://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/Ca...R%2f2%2f1%2f28

The death registers for that hospital are all closed due to condition. :(

No idea where the Buckinghamshire on that other ancestry tree comes from. They obviously don't have a death cert as they would (I assume) complete the date details.

This may not be something I can do online.. I actually thought something would have come up by now.. I'm not in the UK currently, with next visit likely a couple of years away, so may have to put this on the back-burner for a while.

Comment

I did have a google around to see if there was anything on line, I did stumble across a Birmingham forum, and they did mention the hospital, and that the death registration address is often the street address and no mention of the 'institute' which maybe useful to note. But as yet no death cert...

could be worth checking the Birmingham burial records with other family members see if they used their service? or were they the only ones in area?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  Did you know that you can search and buy burial records from Birmingham city council?

sadly no Leonard Biggs but Leonard Briggs is on there - I kind of feel that he can't be right man if it is Briggs on here also

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20065[/ATTACH]

There is Leonard Biggs in 1974 - I assume this maybe the son which could be useful to you.
                                  I didn't know about this site, it will be super useful for me. This was nagging at me, along with your comment previously about the 33 being almost inline with 43.. so to allow me to cross this off as a no-go, I applied for the burial record. Within an hour I had an email with a download link.

Check this out.. the street address matches! Name has been mis-transcribed, age is completely wrong, but this HAS to be him.

Died in the hospital.. it will be interesting to see his records if they open/I can get access to them in the future. In the meantime, I now know he was buried at Yardley cemetery and crematorium. I've emailed them for a plot location and anything else they can provide. I'm assuming the grave would have had a plaque or something (though it may not be there now). I'm hoping a request on findagrave or something similar will result in a photo eventually (if there's anything there).

I can now also apply to GRO for the death cert and let them know of the error in their data.
                                  I can't tell you how happy I am right now.. I can finally get some sleep at night Thank you all so much for the time and thought you've put into helping me find him. I would never have looked at this record without all of your input, as well as all the other information you've gleaned from war records etc. I still want to build a bit more of a profile for him, if I can get hold of the records, but it means I can also move on to someone else now..

Lee

Comment

yay - I am so pleased, it kind of felt right but was a bit concerned, was most impressed with website, sadly have no connection myself to Birmingham so no use to me!

I have to admit when I first read your post I read it as "Briggs", then realised it was Biggs, so that was how I got the idea.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Great result Lee. So pleased for you and you too Carolyn for your perseverance
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Fantastic. Good news Lee. Well done Carolyn. What a find.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X