X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Essex roots

Hello,

Still have had little progress with the following:

Henry and Elizabeth Willis, christened my ancestor at Shalford in 1748. Have never found a marriage nor a christening for Henry
    William Thake and Elizabeth Ling, married in Wimbish in 1754. Don’t know when they were born or their parents
    John Jellis and Mary Chapman, married in Radwinter in 1771. Don’t know when they were born or their parents

If anyone can shed any light, that’d be terrific! My Essex roots are the most stubborn to trace by far.

Adam

Fortunately the essex parish registers are on seax. Unfortunately they are unindexed. If you're lucky freereg may have something. If not, look at surrounding parishes and trawl the registers.

Comment

I did wonder why they were virtually non-existent! Thanks. FreeREG and FamilySearch have bits and pieces, but I think the earliest date I have for anyone is about 1738 :(

Comment

Essex parish records are in the process of being indexed on family search, this is undertaken on a voluntary basis and anyone can volunteer to help index them. It is very unlikely that you would find a hit if you did help with the indexing but it may be something you would be interested in. I have just seen your latest post, the instructions are to index post 1750, so it looks like legwork rather than internet to find anything pre that date.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks for that bubblebelle! Yes, some counties are more available than others. No doubt bits and pieces will surface over time. I’ll just have to be patient

Comment

I think SEAX are quite expensive too for no indexing, so you need to spend sometime bookmarking everything and then pay for 24 hours and just download as much as you can!

There are not many Essex newspapers either on BNA I have a big crowd from Harlow, and also stisted and villages around, and I really would love to find out loads about them, as I was born there, and my father had no idea he had ancestors originally from there. I am stuck at around 1800. I have been using FreeReg and have some downloads from SEAX
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I found close to nothing too! I did find a lovely, extensive obituary for my 3x great-grandad in the Essex Newsman I think it was, from 1914. Barring that, other than court testimony, nothing :(

Comment

...just waiting for more newspapers to come! I guess I need to visit the archives in Chelmsford, but quite a journey from here. I have joined the Essex library on line, and was going to see what they had. I also know that Harlow Museum has records, so maybe your local Essex place has some?

Frivolous fact - I used to work in Epping, Essex with someone with the surname Ling, never come across it since....wrong part of Essex I know!
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

It’s quite a way from where I live too, but as village folk I doubt they did anything too scandalous. Ling is an unusual surname! It’s one I’d definitely like to learn more about.

Comment

There's some information about Essex records in the latest Lost Cousins newsletter - first item:

Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks! I’ll have to look through the individual parishes for online microfilms as it suggests.

Comment

I have read and re-read, and I am not sure I understand what he is saying :( I feel quite stupid! What does he mean by search by individual parish? How do you do that?

I can see I can select Essex registers, but no parish.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I’m confused too :( the only complete registers all seem to be held by the Essex Record Office and not viewable on FamilySearch.

In other news, having reviewed Browne’s Transcripts for Radwinter I have finally broken the 17th century barrier! My newest christenings are:

Thomas Halls, christened on the 16th of February 1725, son of William and Susan
                          William Halls, christened on the 3rd of November 1695, son of John and Alice

No marriages recorded in Radwinter for either couple, and I couldn’t find a christening for John.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            I have read and re-read, and I am not sure I understand what he is saying :( I feel quite stupid! What does he mean by search by individual parish? How do you do that?

I can see I can select Essex registers, but no parish.
                            Go to Family Search
                            click on SEARCH and select CATALOG
                            Enter name of parish - e.g. Hornchurch
                            Click SEARCH

Select CHURCH RECORDS
                            >> Bishop's transcripts for Hornchurch, 1766-1864
                            Scroll down the page to where you see the camera icon on the right, under the heading Film/Digital notes.
                            Click on camera and it should bring up the images.
                            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 01-03-19, 10:34.
                            Elaine

Comment

It may work for that parish, but the ones I tried could only be accessed online :(

Comment

This is the link to the Wimbish Parish Register entry for the marriage of William Thake & Elizabeth Ling on Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...:S3HY-X4MS-L46.

Comment

Funnily enough I was transcribing Wimbish christenings on familysearch yesterday varying from 1829-1861.
                                  Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks! I have viewed it before. Neither appear to have been christened in Wimbish, nor in neighbouring Radwinter.

And bubblebelle, that’s very good of you to be doing all that!

Comment

Thank you Elaine - that works.

I can see a load of Bishops transcripts for Harlow. I have seen some of these before from Essex records. How fab is that, just need to plough through all 600 odd pages!
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Have you found this list Carolyn?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X