Jaques/Jacques/Jakes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kresen Kernow

if all else fails could ask a researcher to look for his death in what became The Madron Institution, Penzance. They have the death register for 1883-1945. Not open currently

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Kresen Kernow

if all else fails could ask a researcher to look for his death in what became The Madron Institution, Penzance. They have the death register for 1883-1945. Not open currently
      Vera
      Brilliant thanks Vera, I have also been in touch with the OPC for Madron, he has been most helpful in suggesting things too. I've been slowly plodding through the list of deaths.

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

yeah that's kind of what I thought too.. I'm really really trying not to order that pdf!..
        well, I have ordered it.. we'll see what happens!

Meanwhile, back in the office I have been applying the same plan of attack for Sarah Jaques [first wife of JWJ] and have a list of possible deaths. We know that they are together in 1851 census but by 1861 JWJ is a widow back home with his parents. He does state he is a widower on his marriage to Charlotte July 1861and that he is single two years later when he marries Elizabeth. Nov 1863.
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-01-21, 14:08.
        Julie

Comment

Meanwhile, back in the office I have been applying the same plan of attack for Sarah Jaques [first wife of JWJ] and have a list of possible deaths. We know that they are together in 1851 census but by 1861 JWJ is a widow back home with his parents. He does state he is a widower on his marriage to Charlotte July 1861and that he is single two years later when he marries Elizabeth. Nov 1863.
          Have you got anywhere with them?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Fingers crossed. Just a little hint will do.

I did look for Sarah ?Robertson/Jaques death. Will check my jottings

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Have you got anywhere with them?
              I've weedled down the list quite a lot and there are possibly a fair few to go at. I don't think he'd lie about being a widower, though obviously he'd lie about being married!

Vera fingers crossed for a glimmer.

will post Sarah list in a mo, appreciate you checking your notes. I can't remember where it was that it said her name was Robertson.. Her father was Richard Robinson and it states Sarah Robinson on her m/c to JWJ.
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-01-21, 08:59.
              Julie

Comment

• Sarah list: I have added her YOB according to age death in [ ] I do realise that this could be wrong but at least it'll give us a starting block. I used the search in FreeBMD from JFM 1851 to OND 1861.

1851 census was the night of 30 March 1851.
                1861 census was the night of 7 April 1861.

Deaths before OND 1851 are either too young or too old to be Sarah so I have discounted them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deaths Dec 1851
                Jacox Sarah Meriden 16 340 ? not in gro b.abt 1765.

Deaths Mar 1852
                JACOCKS Sarah 40 Lichfield 6b 199 [1811] married to William and he was a victualler.

Deaths Dec 1854
                Jaques Sarah 31 Bury 8c 226 [1823] married to David a card room/loom? hand. Brunswick Street
                Jukes Sarah 42 Aston 6d 164 [1812] married to John a Currier Edgbaston.

Deaths Mar 1855
                Jaques Sarah 40 Bermondsey 1d 104 [1815]

Deaths Jun 1855
                Jukes Sarah 39 Atcham 6a 436 [1816]

Deaths Dec 1855
                Jaques Sarah 40 Beverley 9d 57 [1815]

Deaths Jun 1856
                JAQUES Sarah 37 Oldham 8d 376 [1819]

Deaths Sep 1856
                Jukes Sarah 53 Dudley 6c 33 [1803]

Deaths Dec 1856
                JACQUES Sarah 36 Westminster 1a 181 [1820]
                JUKES Sarah 55 Dudley 6c 22 [1801]

Deaths Mar 1857
                Jewkes Sarah Dudley 6c 78 not in GRO

Deaths Sep 1858
                Jaques Sarah 46 Doncaster 9c 276 [1812]

Deaths Dec 1858
                Jacques Sarah Sunderland 10a 225 not in GRO b. 1775 so not Sarah.
                Jewkes Sarah 43 Dudley 6c 84 [1815]

Deaths Jun 1859
                Jaques Sarah 55 W Derby 8b 227 [1804]
                Jaques Sarah 38 Cookham 2c 255 [1821]

Deaths Mar 1860
                Jaques Sarah 59 Bury 8c 252 [1801]

Deaths Dec 1860
                Jaques Sarah 31 Bradford Yk 9b 89 [1829]
                Jewkes Sarah 58 Dudley 6c 62 [1802]

Deaths Mar 1861
                Jukes Sarah 40 Dudley 6c 90 [1821]

Deaths Jun 1861
                JAQUES Sarah Knaresbro 9a 88 not in GRO [[this one unlikely as it would fall after the 1861 census]]
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-01-21, 09:17.
                Julie

Comment

• did search in papers for Sarah, nothing leapt out, they could have married and moved to his next job, which could have been anywhere!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    did search in papers for Sarah, nothing leapt out, they could have married and moved to his next job, which could have been anywhere!
                    That's what I thought, we know he was in Melton/Somerby for the 1851 census, Somerby is a tiny little village on the outskirts of MM. He then appears in Ardleigh back at parents for 1861. Not knowing his movements is a bit problematic. He married Charlotte in a Reg office stating that he was a farm labourer.. perhaps to cover his tracks a little? The other two marriages were in Church and he states he was a gamekeeper.
                    Julie

Comment

I've weedled down the list quite a lot and there are possibly a fair few to go at. I don't think he'd lie about being a widower, though obviously he'd lie about being married!

Vera fingers crossed for a glimmer.

will post Sarah list in a mo, appreciate you checking your notes. I can't remember where it was that it said her name was Robertson.. Her father was Richard Robinson and it states Sarah Robinson on her m/c to JWJ.
                      Yes my jottings are for Sarah Robinson. Is the marriage cert online?

I was thinking she may have re-married and followed thru on that but it came to nothing.

I did note mil Sarah Robinson in the 1851 census with JWJ was a Schoolmistress. There is an 1841 with a Sarah Robinson aged 45 +/- Schoolmistress. She is with daughter Eliza aged 10 living Melton Mowbray, King St both bic.

Vera

Comment

Yes my jottings are for Sarah Robinson. Is the marriage cert online?

I was thinking she may have re-married and followed thru on that but it came to nothing.

I did note mil Sarah Robinson in the 1851 census with JWJ was a Schoolmistress. There is an 1841 with a Sarah Robinson aged 45 +/- Schoolmistress. She is with daughter Eliza aged 10 living Melton Mowbray, King St both bic.
                        Vera
                        Not sure if the certs are online Vera I do have all 3 of them if you want to see I can upload to the Google image thing. Like you, I did think that she could have remarried, there is one that looks very very promising but then realised it wasn't her.
                        Yes, Sarah's mum was Sarah and was the schoolmistress. Sarah's daughters were Mary Ann b.1818 Sarah b.1821 Eliza b.1823 and Harriet b.1830.
                        Mary Ann is another person that just vanishes, but she is another story.
                        I pretty much have Sarah's mum up to her death in Somerby.

will upload certs to g/drive... now added
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-01-21, 11:32.
                        Julie

Comment

Not sure if the certs are online Vera I do have all 3 of them if you want to see I can upload to the Google image thing. Like you, I did think that she could have remarried, there is one that looks very very promising but then realised it wasn't her.
                          Yes, Sarah's mum was Sarah and was the schoolmistress. Sarah's daughters were Mary Ann b.1818 Sarah b.1821 Eliza b.1823 and Harriet b.1830.
                          Mary Ann is another person that just vanishes, but she is another story.
                          I pretty much have Sarah's mum up to her death in Somerby.

will upload certs to g/drive... now added
                          I have found the mc for JWJ and Sarah on FMP but will check out others

Wondered if Sarah settled with her sisters perhaps. Can see Harriet/Pears/Woods

She could have just lived with someone of course and taken on his name.

Vera

Comment

I have found the mc for JWJ and Sarah on FMP but will check out others

Wondered if Sarah settled with her sisters perhaps. Can see Harriet/Pears/Woods

She could have just lived with someone of course and taken on his name.

Vera

certs are on the shared drive with me you and Carolyn. [link above]

I have tracked the children and from what I found she doesn't appear with any of them [aside from Sarah and JWJ in 1851]
                            Julie

Comment

• Hoping Sarah had perhaps joined Eliza in Birmingham, I checked out

Jukes, Sarah Died Dec quarter 1854 Aston aged 42

There is a burial Register 26/11/1854 for Birmingham St Bartholomews for Sarah Jukes aged 42 Alcester Street

A Sarah Cobley m John Jukes in 1847 St Bartholomew, Edgbaston

John Jukes Head Currier B Birmingham
                              Sarah 36 Wife b Chipping Norton, Oxon
                              Sarah 1/12 B Aston
                              Elizabeth Cobley mil b Chipping Norton

​​​​​​​Living Alcester Street

Vera

​​​​​

Comment

Hoping Sarah had perhaps joined Eliza in Birmingham, I checked out

Jukes, Sarah Died Dec quarter 1854 Aston aged 42

There is a burial Register 26/11/1854 for Birmingham St Bartholomews for Sarah Jukes aged 42 Alcester Street

A Sarah Cobley m John Jukes in 1847 St Bartholomew, Edgbaston

John Jukes Head Currier B Birmingham
                                Sarah 36 Wife b Chipping Norton, Oxon
                                Sarah 1/12 B Aston
                                Elizabeth Cobley mil b Chipping Norton

Living Alcester Street

Vera

​​​​​
                                Merci beaucoup, another one ticked off the list.
                                Julie

Comment

• I have updated the 'where is he' list! (Cornwall assumed to be correct atm), now including the jaunt to Devon. Not sure if worth trying to map out George and father Robert. George seems to work for Fitzwilliam all the time, so reckon he moved between his estates. I do have Robert as gamekeeper to Rev J D Jefferson, which I think is Thorganby (I have forgotten)
                                  1817 Ardleigh Born
                                  1842 Market Overton Game keeper J M Wingfield Newspaper
                                  1849 Thorganby Game keeper Newspaper
                                  1850 Market Overton marr Sarah Robinson from Melton Mowbray Newspaper
                                  1851 Melton Mowbray Leics CENSUS (George next door)
                                  1855 Thorganby Game keeper Newspaper
                                  1861 Ardleigh Rochester, Essex CENSUS (with father Robert)
                                  1861 Ardleigh Rochester, Essex Marr July Charlotte Cole
                                  1862 Ardleigh Rochester, Essex Dau Sarah born (John gone)
                                  1863 Brecon Brecknockshire marriage To Elizabeth Mitton
                                  1864 Milton Ferry, Castor Peterborough/
                                  Northampton
                                  Estate papers Newspaper
                                  1867 St Thomas Devon Son Alfred born (not in 1881 w/house)
                                  1868 St Thomas Devon Dau Louise born & died
                                  1869 Merthyr Tydfil Wales Dau Elizabeth born (census says Norton)
                                  1870 Norton in Hales Shropshire Dau Louise born (not in 1881 w/house)
                                  1871 Norton in Hales Shropshire CENSUS
                                  1873 Market Drayton Shropshire Dau Georgina born
                                  1877 Market Drayton Shropshire Son Walter born
                                  Apr 1881 Builth Wales committal jail
                                  May 1881 Builth Wales discharge jail
                                  Dec 1885 Southwark admission institution
                                  Mar 1886 Southwark discharge institution
                                  Jul 1887 Madron Cornwall Death
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-01-21, 20:02.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

• Two more for you I think

Deaths Dec 1858
                                    Jacques Sarah Sunderland 10a 225 not in GRO

From Durham online
                                    Cemetery Registers Sunderland 1858 Sarah Jacques abt 1775 23 Ayres Quay Road
                                    Deaths Dec 1851
                                    Jacox Sarah Meriden 16 340 ? not in gro

Only one death so had a look at parish registers and she was born 1765
                                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

certs are on the shared drive with me you and Carolyn. [link above]

I have tracked the children and from what I found she doesn't appear with any of them [aside from Sarah and JWJ in 1851]
                                      Thanks for Google.

Looked at marriage for JW J and Charlotte. Doubt he was telling the truth - a Widower maybe but an Ag Lab from a Gamekeeper and why a Registry Office

Will all make for good reading in the small hours. Thanks Carolyn

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                        Two more for you I think

Deaths Dec 1858
                                        Jacques Sarah Sunderland 10a 225 not in GRO

From Durham online
                                        Cemetery Registers Sunderland 1858 Sarah Jacques abt 1775 23 Ayres Quay Road
                                        Deaths Dec 1851
                                        Jacox Sarah Meriden 16 340 ? not in gro

Only one death so had a look at parish registers and she was born 1765
                                        thank you Elaine
                                        Julie

Comment

Thanks for Google.

Looked at marriage for JW J and Charlotte. Doubt he was telling the truth - a Widower maybe but an Ag Lab from a Gamekeeper and why a Registry Office

Will all make for good reading in the small hours. Thanks Carolyn

Vera
                                          Hmmn you do make some valid points though. On the 1851 census where he is living with Sarah and Sarahs mum he states he is a 'former gamekeeper' on the return. Maybe he was dismissed?
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X