No announcement yet.

Jaques/Jacques/Jakes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can only see GRO 1887 death Penzance and People in the New 1887. What are you seeing that is different?

Oh it does look good for your JWJ. Can't see him in the area prior to this death record.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Can only see GRO 1887 death Penzance and People in the New 1887. What are you seeing that is different?

Oh it does look good for your JWJ. Can't see him in the area prior to this death record.

Vera
      yes it's people in the news 1887 it says its a transcript

Jaques
      John

People In The News
      Great Britain
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• I wonder if there would be some sort of record of where he came from? if he was in the Workhouse then might he get some sort of parish relief? didn't they have to have something to say where they have come from?

aha! settlement papers that is what I meant!
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-01-21, 19:20.
        Julie

Comment

• I can only see the same as Vera, there are lots of reg of electors and some links to directories, but not John.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            I can only see the same as Vera, there are lots of reg of electors and some links to directories, but not John.
            ah ok then.. no settlement papers then?
            Julie

Comment

• the link to the workhouses does say very few records remain :( did wonder if there were any estate records. I assume it must be Alverton Manor and the Tonkin family, he must have only been there for a year.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

yes it's people in the news 1887 it says its a transcript

Jaques
                John

People In The News
                Great Britain
                1887 People in the News is the snippet Carolyn posted

Vera

Comment

• The on!y workhouse records (Guardians Minutes) are at the Cornwall Records Office/Kresen Kernow. Don't contain any info on admissions/ deaths/ settlement.

Burial records may reveal something??

The dc is likely only to have informant as workhouse employee

Vera

Comment

• I have had another search in the papers, it is a lottery whether you find things in there. some of the bits I found before I can't find a again. I actually followed the FMP link to find that one above, there is another report of the death and it is John James, which I thought was interesting. There maybe an MI - but sounding like he seemed to have sadly died on his own, family a long way away. So may not even have had much?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

• this guys website looks interesting:

Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

The on!y workhouse records (Guardians Minutes) are at the Cornwall Records Office/Kresen Kernow. Don't contain any info on admissions/ deaths/ settlement.

The dc is likely only to have informant as workhouse employee

Vera
                        yes if he died in the WH it should be like you say either master/matron etc.. I emailed Cornwall OPC last night to see if he knew/could advise whether the settlement records would be of use.
                        Julie

Comment

• Church Records - Madron and Gulval Parish Churches (madrongulvalchurches.org.uk)

Church Warden may have some ideas on where John Jaques was likely to be buried

Vera

Comment

Church Records - Madron and Gulval Parish Churches (madrongulvalchurches.org.uk)

Church Warden may have some ideas on where John Jaques was likely to be buried

Vera
                            thank you Vera. I've just been looking around that area, I think I know where the burial ground is.. driven by it many a time! I suppose it's too much to ask for a headstone though!.. I'll fire off a query after I get back from my Doctors appt.
                            Julie

Comment

Vera
                              I've seen the burial entry and it just states his name/age when/where he died/was buried and who officiated. Even if I did order the cert there is no guarantee that it will be him though. :( so still no flipping nearer!

Julie

Comment

• there are transcribed MIs at a cost from the historical society
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  there are transcribed MIs at a cost from the historical society
                                  do you have a link Carolyn please? though not sure that he would have a headstone really. I have spoken/emailed the OPC and there isn't that much else there. i'll send you the bit that he sent me.
                                  Julie

Comment

• Find a grave have the Madron/Penzance burial records but as is usual only records of those with MI's. JJ not recorded as might be expected as likely family not involved.

The transcription of his death is recorded many times, newspapers had no added info apparent!y, w/hse records for admissions no longer available. Will check Kresen Kernow for settlement as I saw the odd ones on their site.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

do you have a link Carolyn please? though not sure that he would have a headstone really. I have spoken/emailed the OPC and there isn't that much else there. i'll send you the bit that he sent me.
                                      he mentions it on here:

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      this guys website looks interesting:

https://www.west-penwith.org.uk/wpenbur.htm
                                      I actually can't see where they are in the links he has provided

Although like you I reckon there won't be anything to be seen.

Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

• I see what you mean about the MI's though!..

do you think that it might be prudent to carry on eliminating and see where else we end up?
                                        Julie

Comment

• 1889 Jaques John 69 E. Ward 10b 427

- there are several John Jaques in the Westmorland area, did start trying to pin this one down, and couldn't quite get definitive, as I think there were at least 2 with similar births, so kind of felt not yours, but did not prove beyond doubt.

I dismissed the really old ones as thought age couldn't be that wrong, but odd things can happen.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X