X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lorna
    replied
    Thank you everybody.
    i have his full military record, served East Indies 11 years and discharged in 1844. I have details of medical reasons for discharge. He was Chelsea pensioner.
    i recently found a daughter Eliza(my gg gran) was born in Kandy and baptised in st Pauls on 15feb 1826. Thomas's surname was recorded as Flinton. Eliza married Thomas Landsley they had one child , Catherine. Unfortunately Thomas died before she was born so Flinters brought her up and her mother Eliza remarried I. Dublin. Going by the blanks on a1851 Ireland census there is 6 x's -no names but in married column 5 married 1 not married!!
    My mother gave me to understand Leeper and rutter were related!!
    Jane Flinter was youngest. Married 1879 to james Newell. Caroline baptised in Chester 1837, married Ludecke. My mother had told me about them and their large family.

Thomas Flinter buried Drumbanagher co Armagh (1874) his wife Catherine's name on headstone but according to parish records not buried there!! So I've to find out where.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
    He left service aged 46, therefore 1844 I think.
    The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
    uh, not the expert here, but shouldn't he have a Chelsea Pensioner's record? I've seen some really interesting, informative ones, that included marriage place and date, details of service locations, and so on.

Lorna, have you looked? Anyone else want to go thru FMP?

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    Lorna, have you looked for a military record, and if so, where? Do you know when he left service?

This might have some records that you're looking for, but it isn't online?

Do you know where they married, or where child #1 was born?
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

That last one is online, but un-indexed. Tap the camera on the right side and you may flip thru the images.
    He left service aged 46, therefore 1844 I think.
    The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

In the quest for the mystery daughters - how have you got the names Claude Leeper and George Rutter as the names for their husbands? (Post 8)
    I'm not getting anywhere with either of those names.
    Did you notice that one of the witnesses on the 1879 Newell- Flinter marriage was a G Flinter? Any idea who that was?

I found Catherine Landsley living in Cowley, Oxfordshire in 1871, aged 23, seamstress, with her aunt Caroline (Flinter) Ludecke, her husband Ernest Ludecke and their children.

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 23-10-18, 21:32.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Just some thoughts. If, as we believe, Catherine was born around 1810 and the 83rd ft moved from the Cape to the East Indies, in 1817(Wiki) and Thomas' Service Record, did she perhaps travel with family to E Indies, marrying Thomas later in 1822.

I gather only the records of couples married by the Army Chaplain ended up at the GRO although not all are recorded on that site (Roots Chat).

Have you contacted them for a marriage in E Indies possibly yet to be recorded?

Do you have details of baptism of Eliza in Kandy1826

Vera

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    Lorna, have you looked for a military record, and if so, where? Do you know when he left service?

This might have some records that you're looking for, but it isn't online?

Do you know where they married, or where child #1 was born?
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

That last one is online, but un-indexed. Tap the camera on the right side and you may flip thru the images.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 23-10-18, 21:03.

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    Sorry to disappoint you but I only have this census (made a mistake putting a 6 instead of a 5).
    The census was ordered in 1920 why my mother never knew. But it does indicate the number of children Thomas and Catherine had and I would love to find them all.

Ah well I'll keep searching for their marriage and all their children. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    That's amazing - you must be one of a very small number of people who have anything from 1851!
    There are now no surviving records from Cork in 1851 so I am guessing that someone ordered this certified copy before the Four Courts fire in 1922. A pity they did not request the info for everyone in the household hence all the X entries.
    Nothing at all survives from the 1861 Ireland census so could you do a Dropbox link for your 1861 info too - would be fascinated to see that as well.
    This link gives you an idea of what survives, and sadly, what has been lost...

Christine

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    5CEpBEIg.jpeg

Interesting. Never seen an early Irish census before.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-10-18, 20:50.

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    I'm having trouble doing this. Aghhh. I have photos in Dropbox and soo complicated. Could I email them to you??

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    sorry too late to edit that - instructions should read this way

(Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif)
    Then click "Upload File"

then you will see something like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]19354[/ATTACH which will miraculously change into an image when you press "post quick reply"
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-10-18, 16:32.

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    You can post the image on this thread.
    Choose the little picture in the frame on the band at the top of the quick reply box

Click "From Computer"
    Click "Choose File". This will take you to your computer.
    Find your file and double click on it
    (Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19354[/ATTACH will look like this til you post the link.
    Then click "Upload File"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-10-18, 16:26.

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    Says private messages turned off.

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorna View Post
    The 1851 census was given time mum about 50 yrs ago. I don't know how it came into her possession. Sorry. I could send a photo of it to you if you wish. Lorna
    Yes please - I'd be really intrigued to see it! I'll send you a private message with contact details.
    Thanks,
    Christine

Update - option to send you a private message doesn't appear when I click on your username. I have a hazy recollection that you might have to post 10 messages before you can receive a private message. Could you click on my username and see if the send private message option comes up for you?
    Last edited by Karamazov; 22-10-18, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    The 1851 census was given time mum about 50 yrs ago. I don't know how it came into her possession. Sorry. I could send a photo of it to you if you wish. Lorna

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    Lorna,
    In various posts above you mention the 1851 and 1861 Ireland censuses as sources - but the 1861 census was destroyed and only fragments of the 1851 Ireland census survive. Please could you check back on your 1851 and 1861 censuses and possibly post links to them?
    Christine

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    My sources are from so many places, ancestry, forces war records, and national archives. Census has not really helped in tracing Thomas and Catherine Flinter. There seems to be a mix of their children in England and n Ireland and then there is his service overseas.
    Thomas Flinter born 1798, Catherine born 1810 ( cape of good Hope) on 1851 Ireland census. Thomas joined up age 15 with 83rd regiment lightfoot ( have his military record and promotions and discharge) They married 1822( on 1851 census) and had 5/6 daughters - Caroline, Eliza, Jane are the only ones I have names for.
    I know this is scanty with so many holes I'm trying to fill but I suppose this is what it's all about.

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Perhaps someone with Irish Ancestry experience on here can help you. If you have information then dates and places and your sources for the information would be really, really helpful.

Quote : "Then 2 more but I don't know their names, one married Claude Leeper and the other George Rutter."????????

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    I can't find any of their 5-6 daughters on a census. I guess they moved around so much. Jane married James newell and lived in Newry co down. Eliza, my great great gran born in Ceylon in 1826 married Thomas Landsley, who was in 83rd lightfoot. Caroline married Ernst Ludecke in 1860. Buried rose hill cemetery Oxford. Then 2 more but I don't know their names, one married Claude Leeper and the other George Rutter.

Leave a comment:

• Lorna
    replied
    On the 1861 Ireland census they were married in 1822. On the headstone she died 1881 at age 71 so born 1810??? Yes we have added and subtracted and it looks like she married very young. Thomas would have been 24!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X