Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble finding a birth record Margaret Jane Morris

Hello,

I am trying to find a birth record for one of my ancestors (Margaret Jane Morris) according to her Marriage certificate she was born around 1852 and her father is names Charles. I'm presuming she lived in Manchester before marriage as her and her husband (Cornelius Townson Marr-1873) were married in Manchester and Cornelius is not from around there.

I thought i had found her birth, but the certificate came back with a different father (Samuel). I can't seem to find any record of her and i don't know her mothers name. I have tried looking at the census record for the address from 1871 to see if that helped but it doesn't appear to exist.

The GRO index only has 1 Margaret Jane Morris for around that time which is the incorrect one.

Does anyone have any tips on how i could find something about her, ideally her mothers name so i can continue to research back.

Thanks in advance

Do you have them on a census?

Have you checked she was a spinster on marriage and that her father's surname was also Morris?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I see they married at Manchester Cathedral. Unfortunately, that was a "peculiar" church and was a favourite place for runaways etc to marry as no questions were asked and no residential qualifications were required, so you might want to widen your search area.

What residential address does it give on the marriage certificate?

OC

Comment

This is the marriage. 15th November 1873

Cornelius was 23, a Bachelor, a Painter and was living at Clitheroe. His father was George Townson, a Painter.

Margaret Jane Morris was 22 and a Spinster. She was living at 32 Haworth St. Waterloo Road. Her father, Charles Morris, was a Farmer.

Witnesses: Edward Terrey and Elizabeth Jared.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi guys thanks for your help, I have tried looking for the address on census records for 1871 on but i cant seem to find the address on any census records.

I only have census records after she was married nothing from before.

If that Church is known for runaways is it possible that the name she provided for her father was made up? Is it possible her name isn't even Margaret?

Comment

How much do you know about her?

She had two children with Cornelius.

George:
            TOWNSON, GEORGE MORRIS MORRIS
            GRO Reference: 1873 D Quarter in CLITHEROE Volume 08E Page 284

Margaret Jane, who died a couple of months later:
            TOWNSON, MARGARET JANE MORRIS
            GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in CLITHEROE Volume 08E Page 296

TOWNSON, MARGARET JANE 0
            GRO Reference: 1876 M Quarter in CLITHEROE Volume 08E Page 231

Margaret Jane Townson seems to have died in or shortly after childbirth:

First name(s) MARGARET JANE
            Last name TOWNSON
            Gender Female
            Birth day -
            Birth month -
            Birth year 1852
            Age 23
            Death quarter 4
            Death year 1875
            District Clitheroe
            County Lancashire
            Volume 8E
            Page 217
            Country England
            Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

Cornelius married Bridget Hargreaves in 1878 in Clitheroe.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Is this birth the wrong One? Margaret Jane Morris, 1852, Chorlton Lancashire. Vol 8C page 564, MMNFletcher
              GWEN

Comment

The son George Morris Townson is with his grandparents on one census after Margaret's death.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                  Is this birth the wrong One? Margaret Jane Morris, 1852, Chorlton Lancashire. Vol 8C page 564, MMNFletcher
                  That's the one I have been investigating too, Gwen.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

I thought i knew everything about her after she married but i didn't know about the second child i Only knew about George. Will have to add that to the tree!

I have hear death certificate and know where she is buried, unfortunately the cemetery is locked these days as it is no longer in use.

Just realised i don't actually have her on any census record as she died too quickly after getting married.

Cornelius also later married Charlotte A Heath after Bridget Died.

Comment

That is the one with a fathers name or Samuel. I believe that Margaret also died as an infant or toddler, i think i saw a death record somewhere on my travels.

Comment

Yes, Cornelius is with Charlotte on the 1911 Census and there is a death notice for Charlotte in the FMP newspaper collection.

What is the cause of death for Margaret, Rebecca? I assume it is childbirth-related?
                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 15-07-18, 17:15. Reason: clarification
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                          That's the one I have been investigating too, Gwen.
                          There is a marraige for a Samuel Morris and Isabella Fletcher in Bolton, 1865, assume this is the Samuel you Rebecca referred to as the wrong one?
                          GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            Yes, Cornelius is with Charlotte on the 1911 Census and there is a death notice for Charlotte in the FMP newspaper collection.

What is the cause of death for Margaret, Rebecca? I assume it is childbirth-related?
                            Yes i believe it was puerperal fever for Margaret and Pneumonia for Bridget.

I never did much research on Charlotte so didn't realise there was a notice in the paper. I haven't found any newpaper records for anyone in my tree yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                              There is a marraige for a Samuel Morris and Isabella Fletcher in Bolton, 1865, assume this is the Samuel you Rebecca referred to as the wrong one?
                              Im not sure, the Birth record i ordered gave a mother name of Alice not Isabella but Alice was also formally a Fletcher.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccawilson100 View Post
                                Im not sure, the Birth record i ordered gave a mother name of Alice not Isabella but Alice was also formally a Fletcher.
                                but yes i currently believe this to be the wrong record .... but they way my research is going it could well be right. the only thing i have telling me it is wrong is that the fathers name on Margaret's marriage is down as Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccawilson100 View Post
                                  but yes i currently believe this to be the wrong record .... but they way my research is going it could well be right. the only thing i have telling me it is wrong is that the fathers name on Margaret's marriage is down as Charles.
                                  According to ancestry the Margaret with the father or Samuel died very young so i doubt this is my relative

Comment

I've eliminated a Margaret or Margaretta born in the Aberystwith district in 1851. Her father was Thomas and she married William Hughes Jones.
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Could she be Scottish? Just a thought!
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Rebecca, you might want to contact the person who has this tree:

Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Margaret (Morris) Townson born 1851 died 1875 including research + children + more in the free family tree community.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                        X