Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificates - Cost

Hi all

first time post so apologies if this has already been covered.

We are searching for a half-brother and have an approximate year of birth and have been guessing at the area, however to find the right person we need to order the birth certificates to see the mother's name and it is getting expensive at £10 each!

Is there anyway to find the first name of the mother without ordering the certificates?

Any assistance gratefully received!

Debz

Is the person deceased? as we aren't allowed to put living peoples names, if there is a way of sending me the details in private ,I will take a look, or you can access mothers maiden names for quite a few years now, without ordering the cert
    Last edited by Guest; 02-07-18, 22:46.

Comment

As you say this is a half brother I take it this is a relatively recent birth - perhaps second half of 20th century? In this case you presumably have been able to see the mother's maiden surname on the index but want to check her christian name? The only way to do this for sure would be to see the birth cert. However if the parents married you might look for a marriage between the two surnames within a number of years before, or perhaps after the birth and check the brides christian name.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks both for the responses.

We believe he was born around 1960 and we have been looking on the basis that the mother's surname and the child's surname are the same. If they aren't then it definitely makes things more complicated. The mother has been dead for over 30 years and as far as we are aware she was not married to the father and did not marry the father later as she married my husband's father as a spinster.

Val - thank you for the offer. I can PM you you separately with what else we know, which isn't much at all.

Thanks again

Debz

Comment

I am sure that you can still ask the GRO to search for a specific criteria and I am sure the search is now free ( used to be charged). You cannot do this through the online order system though.

So, if you know the mother's first name was Clytemnestra, lol, you say mother's first name must be Clytemnestra. I am not sure whether they would accept this particular type of search though, as it is fairly obvious what you are searching for and they may think it comprises DP laws.

Worth a try though?

OC

Comment

Don't forge though that whatever you ask for must be spelled EXACTLY as it is on the birth registration ........... so Clytimnestra will result in you being told there was no such registration.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

Guy,

Surely an entry of an adopted person (presuming the person in question was adopted) would be subject to privacy laws?

Laws are different in australia vs england, but in australia all births are sealed for 100 years, unless the person is deceased. But the indexes are not public in such a case.and they still make it difficult to access them, especially if living people are mentioned on them.

Comment

Kyle

In the UK, adoption registers are entirely separate from birth registers. You can look at the indexes to either, because there is no way to connect a birth to an adoption. We have never been able to look at adoption certificates without purchasing them first.

The GRO will not let you browse actual birth certificates. Neither will local Register offices, despite what Guy says. My own local (Cornwall) has a statement on its website to that effect. They get around any possible "awkwardness" with the law by charging £42 per hour for you to sit in the presence of the Registrar while you look at one particular register, by appointment only. As we now only have ONE full time Registrar to cover the whole county, this makes the whole thing impossible, which is what they want, of course.

OC

Comment

isnt the GRO still doing the PDF files for a cheaper rate. Think it was £6 instead of the usual £9. Not ordered any for a while but was quite happy with the pdf that I ordered, although it didnt help much with my search..lol

Comment

Working...
                    X