Deciphering and translating parents' names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering and translating parents' names

These are the first names of parents on an Irish mc. Can someone decipher please

Capture Fitzpatrick.JPG

Vera

Seamus? And johanne. Jacobi (james) and ?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      Seamus? And johanne. Jacobi (james) and ?
      It isn't Seamus as these are all genitive versions of Latin first names.
      Groom is filius (son) of possibly Joannes (John) and Johanne (Jane)
      Bride is filia (daughter) of Jacobi (James) and ???

Could you post the link from the NLI page so there is more writing to compare with?

If you only have the NLI link, use the free search to find it on FMP where you may get the transcriber's version of the parents' names - albeit the transcriptions often leave a lot to be desired.

Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 09-05-18, 14:43.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
        It isn't Seamus as these are all genitive versions of Latin first names.
        Groom is filius (son) of possibly Joannes (John) and Johanne (Jane)
        Bride is filia (daughter) of Jacobi (James) and ???

Could you post the link from the NLI page so there is more writing to compare with?

If you only have the NLI link, use the free search to find it on FMP where you may get the transcriber's version of the parents' names - albeit the transcriptions often leave a lot to be desired.

Christine
        I have sent you a pm Christine

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
          I have sent you a pm Christine

Vera
          Thanks, got the PM and managed to find it on FMP. Their transcription is same as mine above for the first three names.
          As for bride's mother's name the FMP transcription is Maria.
          I think it could well be Mariae (genitive form of Mary). This is much clearer in other versions of Mariae written by the same priest on this page - on your record he seems to have gone for a loopier initial M plus the tops of succeeding letters are very scratchy/faded and the final E looks more like an O. They don't make it easy!
          If it's not Mariae, I'm at a loss (for now, anyway) to think what it could be...
          Does this tally with what you were hoping/expecting to find?

Christine

PS I've found another transcript version which says Mariae. I'll send you the link as a PM as per your wishes in original PM to me.
          Last edited by Karamazov; 09-05-18, 16:17. Reason: Postscript update
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

So Filius John and Jane
            Filia James and Mary

Just discovered mc. So now need to look further.

Thank you Kylejustin and Christine

Vera

Comment

I had thought it might have been mariae too. But it was more an educated guess about what names started with an "m", then being able to read the word.

Glad you got further!

Comment

Working...
              X