Bigamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigamy

I had a great, great uncle who committed bigamy. He was found out, and there is a notification on the marriage certificate to nullify the marriage. I was told that he was tried and sent to gaol. How would I find any details? I know when the 'marriage' was, but not when he was found out.

Ann, if the bigamy occurred in Australia during or before the 1950s, you would stand a good chance of finding the details in the newspapers on Trove
    Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

Beverley

Comment

Unfortunately it occurred in Scotland in 1872. Thanks for trying!

Comment

Is the RCE not dated, Ann?

Bigamy would have been reported in the local papers certainly and almost certainly in the Scottish national papers. Perhaps someone with a newspaper sub will look if you give some names.

OC

Comment

My great-great uncle was a multiple bigamist and he was sentenced to jail a couple of times. The details are easily found in the newspapers.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It is a bit hard to read, it could be 1875, but I found them together in the 1881 census, I know they both ended up in Australia and I thought I had found where he made the trip,(as crew on the Afton) but when I checked the date it was 1877, so that was knocked on the head when I found the census. I can find her family (parents and siblings) going to Australia, but not her and the children. I thought I had it all sorted, and now I'm all confused again. (Not a difficult thing to do!)

Comment

Working...
            X