Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
    Is this the family?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

7, Commercial Road, Hedworth and Monkton and Jarrow, South Shields, Durham, England
    Bridget Crosgrove Head Widow 62 1819 Mayo, Ireland
    Patrick Mc Dongh Son Single 28 1853 Gateshead, Durham Labourer (Iron Ship Yd)
    John Mc Dongh Son Single 26 1855 Whitton, Northumberland Riviter (Iron Ship Yd)
    Francis Mc Dongh Son Single Male 23 1858 Northumberland, England Riviter (Iron Ship Yd)
    Oh great result, Elaine....Well Done!
    Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      Never dreamt Bridget would use her maiden surname.

Jay
      Not that unusual for a married woman to appear under her maiden surname in Scottish censuses but if she was widowed, that happens a lot.

Comment

Thanks GL - I've seen that in obituary cards in a shop window in Scotland, and in newspaper reports. However, I think it was unusual for England and not something I recall coming across before.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-03-18, 09:01.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

No probs Jay. I haven't seen it much in England and Wales but it's something to bear in mind for Irish immigrants as many Scots were transplanted in to Ireland and their descendants may well have kept to old family habits.

Comment

Working...
          X